Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else want a Higher Touring Gear?

Has anyone heard if Can Am has considered adding a 7th gear to the RT series. I am on my second RT and my only real complaint is that it needs an additional higher gear for our U.S. highways. This would provide much better gas mileage and be easier on the engine when having to travel our 75mph plus highway system.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2022 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

What RPM are you turning at 75 mph ? I just got mine and only been up to 67 mph with it so far.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

I am seeing between 3,800 - 4,000 rpm at highway speeds - 75 mph-ish. I agree, we could either use a 7th, or a higher 6th. But all in all, I ususally have to stop before the bike needs fuel, so I am the limiting factor on gas milage, no worries from me.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nope, don’t need a higher touring gear....just fine the way it is!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not engine RPM that is cutting your mileage, it's road speed.

Aerodynamic drag goes up with the square in the increase in speed.
    The power required to overcome the drag goes up with the cube in the increase.

I have tried this on many different vehicles over the years, gas mileage tends to be rather acceptable up to about 70 mph, then falls off DRASTICALLY. Also note that is not just 'road speed', it's actually apparent road speed. If you are going 70 into a 20 mph headwind, your vehicle thinks you are going 90.

My Goldwing averages upper-30s most of the time. Common advice is to "keep it under 3000 RPM" for good mileage (3000 RPM is right about 67 mph). Going through the mountains of West (by God) Virginia, it's hard to keep the revs under 3k if you want to keep moving, so I downshift a time or two and keep going. In spite of the elevated revs throughout the ride, mileage is surprisingly still in the upper 30s.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

This has been an issue with Goldwing for years until 2018 when they redesigned it.

That extra gear would be nice, but the Engineers that design both the Spyder and Goldwing know what they are doing apparently.

Spyder Garage

I think 6th gear is adequate. Running at 4,000 RPM or even higher is not hurting the engine. As long as you keep it below redline you are fine. I ride at 80 or higher with my 2021 RT in 6th gear and find it just fine as it is.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I have a 89t rear pulley on my F3S. I turn around 4500 at 80 mph. I've put many a miles on my bike at 80 mph on western interstates. No issues other than dismal mpg

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm content as is.

Spyder Garage

i look for a high gear all time
    2019 f3t , titanium

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Higher Gear?

...I can't decide what is needed.
    Remember all Toys are Expensive.
    Just Live and Learn.

When you don't have the Money for the Toys, it is Time to Sell.
    Been there and done it.

Happy Trails my friend.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I think the RT and F3 series have the aerodynamic qualities of a brick wall.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, as the speed increases over 60 mph, the fuel efficiency drops off dramatically. At 70 the mpg gets marginal, at 80 mph, the mpg is dismal.

Spyder RT series are about as aerodynamic as a vertical sheet of plywood. Bummer but true. We typically highway cruise at 70 to 80, and get about 150 miles until the low fuel light illuminates. Doubtful a taller gear would help. Simply takes so much power to go that speed and requires a certain amount of fuel to make the power.

My opinion, the 6 speed is adequate, the fuel efficiency could be improved.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by molive1960 View Post
    Has anyone heard if Can Am has considered adding a 7th gear to the RT series. I am on my second RT and my only real complaint is that it needs an additional higher gear for our U.S. highways. This would provide much better gas mileage and be easier on the engine when having to travel our 75mph plus highway system.
    I don't really care about gas mileage but I have thought many times I wish I could cruise at highway speeds at less RPM. And, I have wished for a 7th gear just as you have. Or at the least, more overdrive out of 6th gear.

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Unfortunately, as the speed increases over 60 mph, the fuel efficiency drops off dramatically. At 70 the mpg gets marginal, at 80 mph, the mpg is dismal.

Spyder RT series are about as aerodynamic as a vertical sheet of plywood. Bummer but true. We typically highway cruise at 70 to 80, and get about 150 miles until the low fuel light illuminates. Doubtful a taller gear would help. Simply takes so much power to go that speed and requires a certain amount of fuel to make the power.
    Absolutely correct! I do feel the bike could pull flat cruising at a lower RPM though.
    Last edited by FrogmanDave; 09-28-2022 at 11:48 AM.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2014 RT, and 2016 f3T, and now and 2016 F3 Limited. With the 7 gallon tank, I still get between 190 and 200 miles to a tank before the low fuel light comes on. Usually I have stopped at 90-110 miles into the tank, and am ready for another butt break long before the low fuel light comes on.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would like just the opposite...I would like to have the 89T rear sprocket on my 2014 RTS...Way better acceleration and pulls like a mule on the mountain roads I normally ride 2 up on...And sometimes pull a trailer...I have the sprocket & belt but NO ONE has the computer knowledge to make it happen...Steve at Monster was working on it several years ago, but never got it working proficiently...larryd

Spyder Garage

You can get a small amount of relief by going to a taller tire (bigger aspect). On my 2014 RTL I changed to a 215/60R15 and it would cruise about 3MPH faster at the same RPM than the OEM tire did. It also brought my speedo in line with my GPS indicated speed
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Larryd (post #16) is on the right track, but in the other direction.

What is the possibility that a smaller rear sprocket could be installed? Yeah, it would require a matching belt, but there's probably something out there with a slightly smaller belt.

He also hinted about computers? Evidently there is some programming that looks for engine speeds to match road speeds, based on the selected gear?
    HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post

What is the possibility that a smaller rear sprocket could be installed? Yeah, it would require a matching belt, but there's probably something out there with a slightly smaller belt.

He also hinted about computers? Evidently there is some programming that looks for engine speeds to match road speeds, based on the selected gear?
    I "THINK" I remember back when there were only GS Spyders in 08/09, 5 speed trans., there was someone marketing larger front sprockets...Which was the way for a taller/higher gear ratio??? NO NEW BELT WAS NEEDED... larryd

Spyder Garage

I'd be happy to have it but I don't think I would use it much. I'm not usually on the interstates.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post

Sadly, this cannot be done. It has been attempted in the past by many, at expensive failure. I would have done it by now if so..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Sadly, this cannot be done. It has been attempted in the past by many, at expensive failure. I would have done it by now if so..
    There have been several F3 owners that wanted to change their final drive ratio's...Some wanted to go from their 89T set up to the 79T set up...And others wanted to go from their 79T set up to the 89T set up...But as troop has said NO ONE HAS SUCCEEDED...Monster was working with a group in Japan and another person with a RT from the New England area...Monster had it working for a short period of time but all the bikes all developed shifting problems that were NEVER resolved...

I talked to the tuner from "Down Under" that Peter Aawen uses and is very knowledgeable...This tuner told me he had this final drive problem working on several machines...He said he'd need to look at his notes and get back to me after he was done moving to a new shop...I never heard anything back nor did he answer my several attempts to get mine flashed to work???

I personally think this is a DOABLE FIX with the right TUNER GURU...And I'd be willing to donate a 89T pulley & belt to make it happen...Or take my Spyder to them and allow someone like Steve at Monster to work at it for a while???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is articles on 28/29 & 30 Tooth Primary Sprockets...(Back in the day)

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ront+sprockets

Spyder Garage

I would love a 7th gear. At 70, I am about 3800 RPMS on my 2021 RTL. Ideally, I would love to cruise at 70 MPH at 3200 RPM. It would lower the engine noise and vibration just a bit and likely yield higher mgp since the engine would not be working as hard. At least that is my understanding. I always thought all the 6 gears of the Spyder were spaced too closely. So maybe 6 would be find if they spaced them out a bit more.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    ... and likely yield higher mgp since the engine would not be working as hard.
    Not necessarily. Every engine has a torque vs rpm curve. If you load the engine down heavier at a specific speed than what it is designed for you make it work harder, cutting down its mpg. I'm sure the Rotax is designed for most efficient torque in the 4000 to 5000 RPM range, or thereabouts, hence the gears are set to provided the optimum torque vs vehicle speed for each gear. You can't just tack on an extra gear to lower the engine speed as you may drop it below its optimum torque range. Keep in mind the required torque to overcome road and wind resistance and maintain speed increases as vehicle speed increases.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)