Spyder Garage

Default Ride comparison between previous and current generation RTs

I have a 2014 RTS. Is there any real difference in ride comfort and handling between the 2014-2019 RTs and the current generation?

I've never been thrilled with the ride and handling; my RTS still feels choppy. Coming off a BMW, it's like moving from a Miata to a Ford F-250 dually. It gets you down the road but it's not the same. And I've experienced all the teething issues of the 2014s, and I've about had it with the expense.

I also have some ergonomic issues since I injured my back a few years ago. After about two hours, I get a dull pain between my shoulder blades which a backrest doesn't solve. A tri-axis handlebar might be the solution (if you can still find one), but at $1K installed, I not sure it's worth the investment. I'd also need to find a new way to bring power to the handlebars as the Lamonster power tap won't work with the tri-axis bars (more $$$). I'm not sure custom seats would help -- yet more expense for a fix that might not work. In sum, I'm not sure about rolling the dice on any further mods.

Are the handlebars on the new RTs adjustable? Does BRP (or anyone) make a tri-axis equivalent (I don't see one on the BRP website). I see they've got something that seems to rotate the bars up and down. More importantly, is the overall ride any smoother?

Thanks for any feedback.

Spyder Garage

I just went from a 2012 RTS to a 2022 RT Limited... NIGHT AND DAY Difference !!! I have 11 disc herniations and the 2012 would cause me pain in a short time, The 2022 Is a dream to ride and I can move all around. I only have one ride so far on it and find it so much better. Yes the bars are adjustable.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The newer 2020 + RT bars are different and are more adjustable, and more options for changing to different bars. There is a bar that is a lot like the triaxis bar for the newer RT models but better I think because there is more adjustability to them; they are called Heli bars. The seat is also different than the older models. You should go down to your local dealer and have a look at the 2020+ models or to a Spyder Rally.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 09-25-2022 at 04:50 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

We have both a 2017 RTS and a new to us 21 Sea to Sky. My wife rides the newer Spyder (of course) but when she lets me, I find a big difference in the handling. The 21 is much more "stable" feeling at speed and in corners. It is almost what I imagine a sway bar would add to an earlier model. I also find the shifting much smoother on the 21. The final advantage is that the stock windscreen blocks buffeting much better than the stock on the 17. I don't even have to put it all the way up and there is no buffeting around my helmet at all compared to the 17 where I can't find a quiet position.

That being said, from an ergonomic standpoint, I can't ride the 21 for long. I am 6'5" 300lbs and find the 21 very cramped. We bought a "comfort seat" for the 17 and those 2" of extra room make a major difference! From what I understand the comfort seat for the newer Spyders does not add space, just upgraded padding which we have with the S2S anyway. So, just from a seat comfort and roominess standpoint, I will continue riding the 17.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I have a 2014 RTS. Is there any real difference in ride comfort and handling between the 2014-2019 RTs and the current generation?
    I test rode a 2021 RT last year when Joe and Ann were in Idaho on the Can Am demo tour. I noticed some differences but for me they weren't great enough to justify the cost of upgrading. But I've never had any real issues with my 2014 RTS. In your case, if you can afford it, I would suggest you give upgrading to the 2022 some serious consideration. But be sure to test ride one first.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Are the handlebars on the new RTs adjustable?
    You can add inexpensive (sort of) bar risers. When you do, it eliminates the pin that locks the bars allowing for some degree of back and forth rotation. You can also easily fit any of the different (3 I think) bars from the F3. Much different from the 2019 and previous RT's.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never been thrilled with the ride and handling; my RTS still feels choppy. Coming off a BMW, it's like moving from a Miata to a Ford F-250 dually. It gets you down the road but it's not the same. And I've experienced all the teething issues of the 2014s, and I've about had it with the expense.

I also have some ergonomic issues since I injured my back a few years ago. After about two hours, I get a dull pain between my shoulder blades which a backrest doesn't solve. A tri-axis handlebar might be the solution (if you can still find one), but at $1K installed, I not sure it's worth the investment. I'd also need to find a new way to bring power to the handlebars as the Lamonster power tap won't work with the tri-axis bars (more $$$). I'm not sure custom seats would help -- yet more expense for a fix that might not work. In sum, I'm not sure about rolling the dice on any further mods.

Are the handlebars on the new RTs adjustable? Does BRP (or anyone) make a tri-axis equivalent (I don't see one on the BRP website). I see they've got something that seems to rotate the bars up and down. More importantly, is the overall ride any smoother?

Thanks for any feedback.

Here is a good buy on Tri-Axis-bars...I installed mine myself...No Special Tools Needed...Just Nuts, Bolts & Screws...
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ack-front-rims...I consider the Tri-Axis-bars my BEST Mod...NO MORE NECK & SHOULDER PAIN...larryd
    Last edited by larryd; 09-28-2022 at 11:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for any feedback.
    Where in central Alabama are you? I live in Talladega County, and you're welcome to come ride my 2020 RT SE6....PM me if you want to do that.
    I've had 2013 and 2015 Spyders, and believe the 2020 is far better at suspension. The RT Limited has self-adjusting preload, and my "standard" RT has a Schrader valve under the seat to adjust the preload. Earlier models rear suspension bottom'ed out, but not the 2020, and the front suspension seems to absorb road bumps better.

I bought my 2020 RT 2 months ago, and got home Thursday from a 1900 mile trip to NC outer banks.
    I'm coming off riding 2 wheels for over 50 years, with my last 4 bikes being BMW's. The trike is quite a different ride, and I know your feelings about that.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

I have not ridden a pre 2020 model, but I did have same problem with back pain on a 2020 RT and in a very short time. The fix was the Heli Bars, hands down the best mod we've done to our RT's.

Quick question, the spider in your sig, is it a knitting spider? We lived in TN for a spell and "ran across" a few of them.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    Quick question, the spider in your sig, is it a knitting spider? We lived in TN for a spell and "ran across" a few of them.
    Who are you replying to? When you reply to a specific comment or member it's best to quote them so we know the intended direction of your comment or question.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for any feedback.
    I went from a 14 RT to a 2020 RTL, so I'll give you my take. The differences are subtle, but the 2020 variant is an improvement overall.

The suspension changes are slight, but noticeable. On my 14 I installed the Baja Ron swaybar and Elka front shock, because I felt they were necessary. On the 2020 I installed the swaybar, but didn't change the shocks. The shock revalve in the 2020 seemed to make the difference and negated the necessity to change them out. The ride position is different because the 2020 comes with floorboards and I had the base model RT, so it had pegs. Being a BMW motorcycle guy myself I've always preferred pegs, but I really like the floorboards on the new RTL. I installed the Tri-axis bars right away on my 14 because of the same complaint you have, and it solved the problem immediately. The 2020 gave me the same issue, so I had to install the Lamonster risers, problem solved. However, the stock F3 bars do the same thing. Either way it's far cheaper and easier to install than the Tri-axis, which is doable, but incredibly difficult.

Is the new model worth the money? Only you can answer that one.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. All useful. Haven't decided yet what to do.

Kamjam -- the spider is a golden silk spider, one of a family sometimes called banana spiders because of their obviously large abdomens. I took that picture in my back yard; the spider was slightly smaller than the palm of my hand. The large ones like this are always female; the males are MUCH smaller.

I use it as my avatar here because I have a yellow RT-S.

Spyder Garage

I went from a 2019 RTL to a 2022 Sea to Sky. It is difficult to describe the difference in ride and control. The 2022 is the exact same wheelbase but rides like it is a foot longer. Much more stable in the corners and a more enjoyable ride. Glad I made the trade.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPod View Post

That being said, from an ergonomic standpoint, I can't ride the 21 for long. I am 6'5" 300lbs and find the 21 very cramped. We bought a "comfort seat" for the 17 and those 2" of extra room make a major difference! From what I understand the comfort seat for the newer Spyders does not add space, just upgraded padding which we have with the S2S anyway. So, just from a seat comfort and roominess standpoint, I will continue riding the 17.
    Yeah, I’ve got a couple of inches on you PhillyPod, and it has cost a bit to give me the extra room I need on my ‘21 RT…. Primarily a Daylong seat that has lifted me up 2-3 inches and given me an inch back, and Helibars handlebars that are taller and allow you to adjust wrist/arm angles several ways. With shipping to Aus, the Daylong and Helibars cost me around $3500aud. Once the initial pain of that account withdrawal wears off though, the ‘21 RT is, quite simply, superb. Far more refined than my ‘16 F3-L, and handles every bit as well …… Oh….. I forgot….. that screen that protects you so well on your ‘21 no longer works when you have your seat lifted 3”….. add that into my cost also (although it cost me nothing as I had a 25” F4 from my F3 that I was able to mod to fit )

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-05-2022 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Fixed emoji's %-)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, I’ve got a couple of inches on you PhillyPod, and it has cost a bit to give me the extra room I need on my ‘21 RT…. Primarily a Daylong seat that has lifted me up 2-3 inches and given me an inch back, and Helibars handlebars that are taller and allow you to adjust wrist/arm angles several ways. With shipping to Aus, the Daylong and Helibars cost me around $3500aud. Once the initial pain of that account withdrawal wears off though, the ‘21 RT is, quite simply, superb. Far more refined than my ‘16 F3-L, and handles every bit as well …… Oh….. I forgot….. that screen that protects you so well on your ‘21 no longer works when you have your seat lifted 3”….. add that into my cost also (although it cost me nothing as I had a 25” F4 from my F3 that I was able to mod to fit )

Pete
    Thanks for the input Pete. All I can say is OUCH!!! That outlay sounds more painful that being cramped on the S2S For now, I'll just let my wife continue to ride it while I stay on the '17. I paid cash for the S2S so I need time to refill the bank accounts

Warren

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPod View Post
    Thanks for the input Pete. All I can say is OUCH!!! That outlay sounds more painful that being cramped on the S2S For now, I'll just let my wife continue to ride it while I stay on the '17. I paid cash for the S2S so I need time to refill the bank accounts
    Warren
    The only thing that eases the pain, sort of, is that I know I have to factor new seat, bars, pegs/boards, screen into any new 2 or 3 wheel purchase, Warren, so I go into the purchase with eyes wide open.

Apologies for the hijack, FatBaxter

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red