Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Spyder RSS Replacement Key Question

I have a 2013 Spyder RSS SE5. Bought it with just one key. Bought a key from the dealer. The dealer doesn't cut the keys so told me to go to a locksmith, have it cut, then bring it back for them to program. Took it to the one of the best locksmiths in town. Had the key cut. Tried to insert it in the ignition and it won't slide in. Took it back to the locksmith. He says it is the wrong blank; talk to the dealer. Took it to the dealer. Dealer says there is only one key blank model for the trike, I have the right one, and problem is with the cut of the key. Took the key home and compared it under a magnifying glass with the key that works. The factory grooves on the new key aren't the same as on the key that works. Groove on one side is deeper and narrower.

Here are my questions.....are there different replacement keys for different years and models? The dealer says there is one key blank that fits all models. How can I figure out whether the locksmith or the dealer is wrong? Bottom line, I just want a spare key. At this point, by the time I get one that works, it is likely to cost me about $200. What a rip off!

I'm so frustrated and mad right now I could spit nails.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1Badnana View Post
    I have a 2013 Spyder RSS SE5. Bought it with just one key. Bought a key from the dealer. The dealer doesn't cut the keys so told me to go to a locksmith, have it cut, then bring it back for them to program. Took it to the one of the best locksmiths in town. Had the key cut. Tried to insert it in the ignition and it won't slide in. Took it back to the locksmith. He says it is the wrong blank; talk to the dealer. Took it to the dealer. Dealer says there is only one key blank model for the trike, I have the right one, and problem is with the cut of the key. Took the key home and compared it under a magnifying glass with the key that works. The factory grooves on the new key aren't the same as on the key that works. Groove on one side is deeper and narrower.

Here are my questions.....are there different replacement keys for different years and models? The dealer says there is one key blank that fits all models. How can I figure out whether the locksmith or the dealer is wrong? Bottom line, I just want a spare key. At this point, by the time I get one that works, it is likely to cost me about $200. What a rip off!

Well, A lot can be said abut Spyders and keys, but they say that "Brevity is a Virtue". So, I'll try to be brief.

As you already know, the Spyder uses a chipped key. But there are two different systems out there. In model year 2014, BRP changed the design of the system. Let's call that DESS 2.0. The part number for the key for DESS 2.0 also changed in 2014. You have DESS 1.0. Different part number for the key and different means of programming the key. Your system would require the infamous red Master Key to add that key into your module. And seriously, I doubt that your dealer still has one laying around in some desk drawer some place. Of course, as an aside, why didn't your best lock smith in town pick up on the different groves in the blank the first time.

However, DESS 1.0 will accept a cloned key. DESS 2.0 will not. So, your solution is to get a blank with a clone-able transponder chip. One of these...

https://ekeyblanks.com/Zadi-ZD23RT5-...er-Key-Blanks/

https://www.lockpicks.com/aprilia-sc...23rt5-jma.html

Take the blank and your OEM ignition switch key to a locksmith and have them cut and clone the new blank to your OEM key. Now, be advised that some folks have reported that a slight amount of material needs to be removed from the heel of the blank key, so that it will insert fully into the switch. But not's not consistent. It might depend on which blank you get or which locksmith you use. Simple to fix with a file.

The point is that by cloning a blank to your existing working key, the DESS module in your Spyder won't be able to tell the difference between the OEM key and the cloned key. It will get you what you want, and you won’t need the dealer.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 09-26-2022 at 05:23 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Also a Ilco X270 chipless (valet) key quite handy just to open frunk & seat too. https://www.mykeyport.com/ Also possible option.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1Badnana View Post

This is an easy one to pin. If the key slides into the lock but will not turn, its the cut that is wrong and its the correct blank. Wrong blank will not slide in. Simple as that. Your locksmith cut the key wrong. Take it back, along with the bike and ask him to work on it to fit correctly. If he cannot, you are caught in the middle.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame