Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RTS 2016 Missing belt guard installation problem

Hi guys,

I have got a problem: I looked at youtube videos how to install the belt guard.

It says to "remove the two screws and backing nuts from the outer cover"

I tried to unscrew the two screws on the black cover over the belt guard but cannot get them off. They seem to turn forever. Also what are the "backing nuts" and if they are on the backside of the outer cover how do you reach them???

Please if you do not mind "idiot proof" explanation!

I am super proud that I managed to get a lot of tupperware off today to install the pedal box but now I am stuck on the above problem.

Thanks
    Stef.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SKME View Post
    Hi guys,

I have got a problem: I looked at youtube videos how to install the belt guard.

It says to "remove the two screws and backing nuts from the outer cover"

I tried to unscrew the two screws on the black cover over the belt guard but cannot get them off. They seem to turn forever. Also what are the "backing nuts" and if they are on the backside of the outer cover how do you reach them???

Please if you do not mind "idiot proof" explanation!

I am super proud that I managed to get a lot of tupperware off today to install the pedal box but now I am stuck on the above problem.

Thanks
    Stef.
    When I built my own belt guard for my RT years ago ..... I seem to recall having to go under the Spyder with " Locking needle nose pliers " to hold the nuts ....I would check a Parts Fiche' to see how BRP assembles them .... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up RivNuts are your friend

SKME -- as I recall I used a 1/4" drive with about 2" extension with either a 8mm or 10mm socket. PIA but difficulty only 4 on a scale of 10. I installed RivNuts (as I did for all the push-pin fasteners).
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Yep, jacked up my spyder until I could get jack stands under, then laid on the muffler side and reached under with a flex socket extension to hold the original nuts from the back side, had my helper take out the original stock belt cover fasteners, my missing belt guard came with the replacement body clip nuts.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your replies. Really helpful!

One more question please: once it is installed can one drive flat gravel roads at "normal" speed or does one still need to be careful? There are some wonderful long flat gravel roads here in Canada that I wouldn't dare to drive without any protection.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SKME View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. Really helpful!

One more question please: once it is installed can one drive flat gravel roads at "normal" speed or does one still need to be careful? There are some wonderful long flat gravel roads here in Canada that I wouldn't dare to drive without any protection.

Thanks!
    That all depends on how worried about getting dirty/dusty/muddy you are...

As I've mentioned in other threads, where I live in Oz, most of the roads going anywhere interesting aren't sealed at all, and I don't have any extra belt guard! If I didn't ride these roads at 'normal' speeds, it'd take days just to travel between fuel stops, let alone actually get anywhere; so more than half of my riding is on these 'not sealed' roads. I'd hazard a guess that I've done more miles on dirt & gravel roads, mainly riding at normal speeds, than most over your way have ridden on their Spyders in TOTAL! And I've really had no belt issues either, despite my 'normal' riding mode being somewhat more.... errm, let's just say 'exuberant' than most; and maybe even includes the occasional bit of tail hanging thru the sweepers too! But I wouldn't ever call the riding I do on dirt/gravel roads 'aggressive', or 'not normal', altho it's certainly not quite the same as the riding I do on better surfaces - if the gravel is deep & really loose, or rutted & un-predictable, I'll go a lot slower than I do if it's fairly firmly packed & smoothly predictable; and on the better dirt/gravel roads, I might even end up travelling at close to the same speeds as I would on our 'less than major freeway' roads ... but IMHO, that's just 'riding to the conditions'!

So if you feel you need a belt guard, then fit it; and from there on in, just use a bit of (un?)common sense about what you're doing; always ride within your limitations and those of your machine; always ride to the conditions; and most importantly....

Ride More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I rode my '13 RTL with the Missing Belt guard and the Air Ryde Rock Armour (no longer sold but alternative discussed here) on many miles of different MN gravel roads at normal speeds with no belt or airbag issues. Rode as fast as I felt safely comfortable into and out of the NorthWest Angle of MN, as well as several others many miles long segments of gravel in many sizes. No problems at all that a pressure washer couldn't take care of later(or some wicked TN monsoons).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I paid our dealer/workshop to fit my guard, which they did. However, the guard scraped on my back wheel until I got underneath and cut off the end. Taking it back was not an option at that time because of a commitment to a couple of weeks ryde. Very disapointing, but no more plastic scraping. Historically, I have had one belt replacement caused by a large stone from road works. The belt damage didn't bother me but the possibility of pully damage did.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Thanks that is very comforting to know. I would like to be able to ride those hard-packed gravel roads without worrying constantly that I damage my belt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    I paid our dealer/workshop to fit my guard, which they did. However, the guard scraped on my back wheel until I got underneath and cut off the end. Taking it back was not an option at that time because of a commitment to a couple of weeks ryde. Very disapointing, but no more plastic scraping. Historically, I have had one belt replacement caused by a large stone from road works. The belt damage didn't bother me but the possibility of pully damage did.
    Bummer... I know it is tricky to get it perfectly right. Even the guy in the install youtube video said he changed belt guards because the old one scaped on the wheel. And once it it glued on it is quite tricky to get off...