Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RTS, max speed is 70 mph!

What's up with that? I have a friend who recently bought a 2015 RTS with 17,000 miles. We're on the phone now and he's telling me he can't go over 70mph in 6th gear. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

*** UPDATE*** Sunday, September 25th at 4p Central Time.

We talked earlier and I gave him instructions. He shifted at 4000 RPMs: 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th to 6th gear. Immediately when he shifted to 6th gear the RPMs dropped to 3500 and top speed topped out at 70 mph. He said he doesn't ride his brake.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Copperman; 09-25-2022 at 04:43 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    What's up with that? I have a friend who recently bought a 2015 RTS with 17,000 miles. We're on the phone now and he's telling me he can't go over 70mph. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
    is he still in 5th or 4th? Not sure what my maximum is on my '14, but it is certainly higher that 70 mph

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What's up with that? I have a friend who recently bought a 2015 RTS with 17,000 miles. We're on the phone now and he's telling me he can't go over 70mph in 6th gear. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
    If you are near to Him ..... ask Him to let you take it for a ride ..... this is not normal I have a 14 RT and have easily gone over 100 mph. ..... and am sure it will still do it. The reason/s His won't are too numerous to start guessing about without more info .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Other than it only going 70 mph, is it running well at idle, shifting well, ect?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i know that bike and can tell you it has definitely gone over 70 mph

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    I know. It's crazy.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    I know. It's crazy.
    Is there any chance his RT's got an unresolved 'Limp Home Mode' type error that has it's cause still occurring??

Some of the things that can trigger 'Limp Home' mode activations include brake failures or warnings, VSS issues, different rotational speeds between wheels, & others; bad enough, but not necessarily things that'll stop the Spyder than operating at all, just cause it to trigger a 'reduced operation' mode with a limited top speed, or limited peak revs..... One I found early in the piece was if the rolling dia & therefore rotational speeds of the front wheels vs the rear wheel varies too much, the Spyder will still seemingly run OK, just won't let the engine (in my case, a V-twin) rev past a significantly reduced limit (the V-twin dropped its max revs to about 5,000 rpm instead of 8,800 rpm, and the V-twins don't really work below 3,500 or s o!) so it's top speed was significantly reduced...

So... your friend hasn't replaced any tires lately has he?? Any chance he's done that & used significantly different tire sizes on one end vs the other... like maybe sticking 175/55R15's up front & a 205/45 or 50R15 on the rear?? A bigger front wheel rolling dia & smaller rear wheel rolling dia or vice versa can mean there's gonna be a significant wheel speed variation fr/rear to that the Nanny expects, so she can throw a code or two that won't necessarily stay plastered all over the dash, then trigger a 'Limp Home' warning that after the first orange screen display, drops back to a small flashing icon, but leaves you with somewhat reduced performance/top speed....

Just a thought?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Update. Please read the first post.
    Last edited by Copperman; 09-25-2022 at 10:26 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Update
    Update ??????? .....so what is the update ????? .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Update ??????? .....so what is the update ????? .......Mike
    It's in the first post.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

R

*** UPDATE*** Sunday, September 25th at 4p Central Time.

We talked earlier and I gave him instructions. He shifted at 4000 RPMs: 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th to 6th gear. Immediately when he shifted to 6th gear the RPMs dropped to 3500 and top speed topped out at 70 mph. He said he doesn't ride his brake.

Any ideas?
    I’m thinking “refer to post #7 (Peter’s post).... I think that Peter has your clue right there. jmho wthdik

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

It does sound like he's got an unresolved 'Limp Home' or similar condition set.....

If it's not being brought on by a recent mis-match in tire sizes (yeah, it's bloody hard to do, I know; but I HAVE seen it - albeit just once in the last 13-14 years or so! ) THEN I reckon that for whatever reason, the bike handling/engine has done something that triggered a safety limitation on revs/top speed & it's not been cleared - could be worn brakes; mis-match somewhere in the EBD; ABS not working evenly; or even VSS if it's handling related; or if it's engine/trans it could be oil pressure; injector rail pressure; gear selector; yada, yada yada.... whatever, it might even require BUDS to do the reset, but if he can't pull a code/any collection of codes to help nail it down, BUDS should still be able to identify what it is!?!

Know anyone nearby with BUDS??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 11:11 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

It sounds to me like somehow his key got programmed in BUDS to be either a "learning" key or a "rental" key. Very easy fix, but requires BUDS to change it.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    It sounds to me like somehow his key got programmed in BUDS to be either a "learning" key or a "rental" key. Very easy fix, but requires BUDS to change it.
    Hmm. That sounds interesting. Yes, he'll have to have it on BUDS to resolve the problem. Thanks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Always Something New

...Seems like this year has been moving very quickly.
    Spyder problems are getting harder to figure out and fix.

I hope you get this issue or issues resolved quickly.
    I have no answer to share at this time.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just for the heck of it check the belt pully

Spyder Garage

Hmm. That sounds interesting. Yes, he'll have to have it on BUDS to resolve the problem. Thanks.
    Just for *hits & giggles .... have Him (?) remove the leads from the battery .... touch them together ..... Put back on ( with Star washers first ) ..... and see if the problem stops ..... Mike