Spyder Garage

Default What is this C1282 code?

I have lost my list of Spyder codes. If any of you have that list what is C1282? Thanks.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does this mean that you are riding again?

That's the dreaded Brake Failure coming from the Low Pressure Switch. It takes that special brake pedal pressing procedure in order to get it to clear...once you correct the issue. Otherwise, it has to be reset with BUDS. But you might want to top off your reservoir chambers, too, while you're at it.

Have you worked on your brakes lately?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TQl...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 09-24-2022 at 01:41 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

No Doug I haven't done anything to the brakes, except add a little fluid when the "Brake Failure" warning first lit up but it didn't go away as It usually does. What is the Special Brake pressing procedure?
    Yes Doug I have been riding for about a month. As soon a they have me clearence to drive I figured that meant ride too. Just did a 400 mile (round trip) to Green River, Ut for their Melon festival to get some fresh melons. Best melons around. I finished the modification on the shift lever and so far it seems to be working. I'll know better in a couple of thousand more miles.
    Thanks for the help, you are always right there.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2022 at 05:40 PM. Reason: ' 's & to ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Well, recall that there are two micro switches on your brake pedal linkage - the brake light switch and the low pressure switch. The LPS is actuated second as you press down on the pedal. When the switch is actuated, that tells the ECM to check and see what the brake system pressure is. If it's not above the set point, you get the code, and unfortunately, it locks in. If you don't have a leak, then this is usually a sign that your pads are ready to be replaced, or that you need to bleed / flush the brake system and get new fluid in there. After you do any brake system maintenance, you want to be sure to top off everything and pump up the system and seat the pads and pistons BEFORE you turn on the key. Otherwise, you get this stupid code, again.

Right now today, if you feel that your brake pedal feels a bit soft, then that's why you got the code in the first place. You'll need to address that first.

You can try a reset on your own. Works about 10% of the time. If you have a shop manual, you'll find this in the brake section.

Be sure that the key has been off for at least 30 seconds.
    Turn on the key and allow the system to completely boot up.
    I don't know if it is required to press the MODE button or not. That's not addressed. Try it either way.
    Press down on the brake pedal as hard as you can and hold it there.
    You may have heard the second click as you activated the LPS. Or may not. That's not required.
    Keep pressing down on the brake pedal as hard as you can and turn the key off.
    Keep pressing down on the brake pedal as hard as you can until the system shuts down after 30 seconds. Don't be in a rush to let up on it.
    After the system shuts down, let up on the brake pedal, cross your fingers, and turn on the key to see if the brake failure clears.

Repeat as necessary. Otherwise, you'll need BUDS to reset the thing even though your brake system is working fine.

That link I provided in the other post is for you and anybody else that needs it.

Good Luck.

PS. Really happy that you're recovering well. Keep that up.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 09-24-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks Doug, I'll
    Give that a try. My pads are in spec and not due for a flush yet. No leaks.
    Thanks for the list and the well wishes

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Thanks Doug, I'll
    Give that a try. My pads are in spec and not due for a flush yet. No leaks.
    Thanks for the list and the well wishes
    Well, one more thing. Those two micro switches are housed in this little cubby hole type compartment down low on the right hand side, behind the brake pedal. There have been some posts recently about that little compartment getting stuffed with road crud and interfering with the operation of the switches. So, that LPS could be stuck on. There is an opening in the bottom of that little area where they have been using a water hose and flushing it out with water. You could then use some compressed air to dry it out. I don't know how good you are with crawling around on the floor. It's a pain. But if there is nothing wrong with your brake system, it could be something like that or maybe a critter has liked that area to build a nest in. You'll just have to check it out. If you can ignore that orange warning screen, just keep riding until the snow comes. Be safe and good luck.

Doug

Spyder Garage

I had heard something about that. So far the pedal trick hasn't worked so I'll try that cleaning next. I can get down pretty well, it's the getting back up that is hard. I am off to see BYU play Wyoming so it will have to wait till Monday for anything else.
    BTW, I have no problem ignoring that orange screen. Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2022 at 05:43 PM. Reason: BTW,I ... - BTW, I ... ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI