Spyder Garage

Question HELP What holds 2019 RT passenger backrest on?

So today I removed the seat from our 2011 RT because I found a used seat, drivers backrest and passenger backrest from a 2019 RT Limited.
    Everything went well with no lost nuts or bolts until it came time to install the 2019 passenger backrest.
    On the 2011 the passenger backrest is held on by 3 torx bolts that are in the rear trunk BUT the 2019 has much smaller holes in it.
    Can anyone tell me or even post a picture of what holds the passenger backrest on.
    I’ve temporarily used small bolts but it feels like they’re just screwing into rubber.

Thanks very much for your help
    Greg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2022 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Huh, I thought they would have been the same. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Huh, I thought they would have been the same. Bruce
    Yup. I was very shocked. Everything went so well and then the last thing was to put the passenger backrest on.
    It’s almost as if you could actually use a screw rather than a bolt because I didn’t hit anything metal inside the small holes in the backrest.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

My 2018 Passenger backrest has three "floating" nuts in the backrest that the torx screws mount AKA Nut Housing Ass'y to (as well as the two for the top trim piece) If someone isn't careful the "floating" nuts can be pushed out of the backrest mounts and then there'd be nothing for the torx bolts to capture. Sure your backrest isn't missing the "floating" nuts? The online parts diagrams and parts list show the identical torx fasteners as the '18 and earlier.... And the Nut Housing Ass'y is even the same part...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DGoebel; 09-23-2022 at 08:30 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    My 2018 Passenger backrest has three "floating" nuts in the backrest that the torx screws mount AKA Nut Housing Ass'y to (as well as the two for the top trim piece) If someone isn't careful the "floating" nuts can be pushed out of the backrest mounts and then there'd be nothing for the torx bolts to capture. Sure your backrest isn't missing the "floating" nuts? The online parts diagrams and parts list show the identical torx fasteners as the '18 and earlier.... And the Nut Housing Ass'y is even the same part...
    My 2011 is the same as your 2018. On the one that I bought (they said it’s 2019) there is nowhere for the floating nuts to go. It was obviously mounted on a Spyder at some point but definitely nowhere for floating nuts to insert. I’ll have to remove it tomorrow just to reconfirm it but I’m sure I would have noticed if there was a slot to put the nuts in.
    The two slots for the top trim piece are the same as my 2011 and your 2018.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry this happened to you..... However, in the original post you asked about using a SEAT from a 2019 on an 11 RT..... you didn't ask about the backrest!!!!!! ..... So my question is, why don't you just keep the passenger backrest from your 2011 RT????? ..... I would also look at the parts fiches for your 11 and the 2019 backrest.... See if the numbers are compatible ..... Good Luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2022 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Caps + ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Thanks to you DGoebel sending me the diagram, I figured it out. On the 2011 RT, the 2 bolts that secure the top trim piece are smaller than the 3 that bolt into the backrest. On the 2019 all 5 are the same size. I took one that secures the top trim piece and it worked on the backrest. I was lucky enough to have 3 very close that worked perfectly for securing the backrest.
    I really really appreciate your help and for you taking the time to post the diagram.
    Problem solved, now I can go to bed lol.
    Thanks again
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm sorry this happened to you..... However, in the original post you asked about using a SEAT from a 2019 on an 11 RT..... you didn't ask about the backrest!!!!!! ..... So my question is, why don't you just keep the passenger backrest from your 2011 RT????? ..... I would also look at the parts fiches for your 11 and the 2019 backrest.... See if the numbers are compatible ..... Good Luck .... Mike
    Thanks Mike. I hadn’t planned on using the backrest from the 2019 Limited but the stitching is white on the 2011 and black on the 2019 so it matches better. PLUS…… I now have the only 2011 Limited with no stereo, no passenger heated handles, no change on the fly rear suspension, etc, etc. lmao.
    What a great forum for helping an old non mechanically inclined guy figure things out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2022 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    Thanks to you DGoebel sending me the diagram, I figured it out. On the 2011 RT, the 2 bolts that secure the top trim piece are smaller than the 3 that bolt into the backrest. On the 2019 all 5 are the same size. I took one that secures the top trim piece and it worked on the backrest. I was lucky enough to have 3 very close that worked perfectly for securing the backrest.
    I really really appreciate your help and for you taking the time to post the diagram.
    Problem solved, now I can go to bed lol.
    Thanks again
    Greg
    For future reference check the link for BRP parts in the upper left corner of the home page. A quick look at the parts diagrams for the 2011 RT and 2019 RT would have made clear the different screws that are used. Now, what is a K50 Torx screw? That's what is used for 2019.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    Yup. I was very shocked. Everything went so well and then the last thing was to put the passenger backrest on.
    It’s almost as if you could actually use a screw rather than a bolt because I didn’t hit anything metal inside the small holes in the backrest.
    The K50 torx is a coarse thread screw meant for use in plastic. Instead of "almost as if" it's more like "you do".

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The K50 torx is a coarse thread screw meant for use in plastic. Instead of "almost as if" it's more like "you do".
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge in both of your posts IdahoMtnSpyder. You’re obviously a lot smarter than I am.
    Hopefully I’m not to old to learn (and retain).
    Regards
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)