Spyder Garage

Default Garmin XT not charging & dim - What am I STILL doing wrong?

Hi I installed a Garmin XT to my 2020 RTL and used Lamonster plug and play to bike but it doesn't seem to be charging, when I turn GPS on the screen is dark and can't increase brightness above 40%
    so plugged GPS into outlet to charge and its bright, What am I doing wrong
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2022 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask question ;-)

Spyder Garage

For some strange reason, the switched power connection on the 2020 Spyders has the connections reversed.
    Just like Scotty in Star Trek, the answer is to reverse the polarity.
    I know, it's not intuitive, but you need to connect the red wire on the Garmin harness to the Black wire on the Spyder. Same thing, black wire on the Garmin to the red wire of the Spyder harness.
    DAMHIKT.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

ok thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    For some strange reason, the switched power connection on the 2020 Spyders has the connections reversed.
    Just like Scotty in Star Trek, the answer is to reverse the polarity.
    I know, it's not intuitive, but you need to connect the red wire on the Garmin harness to the Black wire on the Spyder. Same thing, black wire on the Garmin to the red wire of the Spyder harness.
    DAMHIKT.
    I had to do the same thing on the harness to my old Garmin 660LM ( Which still works perfectly)
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin installation

Hi, I installed a Garmin Zumo XT to my 2020 RTL & as above, I originally put black to black red to red and it would not charge the GPS. Then in the answers above I was informed that was wrong, so I put black to red - But it still won't charge?! Did I blow a fuse? And if I did, which one?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-07-2022 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Caps, & added 'as above' & 'above' after threads merged... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Have you tried it with the ignition on?? And with the engine running??

As already mentioned by others, some of those accessory wires have had their polarity reversed; others provide power either way as I've outlined above; and you may have used one of either of those circuits unknowingly?! But really, if you don't have &/or can't use a test lamp or multi-meter to test for polarity & power, AND to test the fuses to see if any are blown, then it's probably best if you find someone who does & can to help.

Are there any other Spyder Ryders near you in Indiana (?) who might be able to help?? There's a few things it could be, but playing around with the polarity on the charge wires for your GPS could well be an expensive mistake; as could just connecting things without knowing if the wires you're playing with are powered or not - so I'd strongly suggest that you find someone who knows what they're doing to help get it sorted without blowing up the Spyder &/or the GPS.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-07-2022 at 01:07 PM. Reason: already mentioned....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

You need to get either a test light or a multimeter and check the wires yourself. Mine were backwards but others have posted that theirs were not.

Anytime you're doing something like this you really need to check the polarity just to make sure. You can also quickly check all the fuses with a test light, just make sure you have it attached to a ground. You also need to verify that one actually is a ground wire just in case it has been broken.

Also once you have verified that you have power (with the switch on) and you know that everything is correct, you just might have caused damage to the unit by hooking it up backwards. Send it in to be checked only after everything else has been checked and checked again.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 10-07-2022 at 08:34 AM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue