Spyder Garage

Default Don't forget the Rear End Service on your Ryker!

Going to post this on several places. On our Rykers, we know of changing the belt every 12000 miles or there abouts. There is no mention of pulling the rear end and servicing the drive splines on the transmission. Having owned and serviced many bikes with drive shafts, it was an important thing to inspect the u joint and splines. Also to lube the splines. When mine rolls around 6000 miles, I'm going to pull it and inspect. Also will make sure there is a vent for the rear end. If not, this will blow seals and cause leaks on rear end when pressure builds up due to expansion of the oil in the rear end. Being that I don't ride like I used to, that will probably be in a few months. Will post when I am done. Oh, by the way, I am a retired chief mechanic and do all my own work. Of course the electrical system is pretty advanced on these. Just hope I don't have to use the shop for electrical issues.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-22-2022 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly mention purpose.... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Makes sense to me. I've made good money over the years replacing neglected splines on shaft drive bikes, mostly Goldwings. A buck or two worth of quality moly grease can save hundreds down the road. Keeping vents and filters clean and unobstructed is cheaper than replacing seals or belts. This goes for any bike or scooter not just a Ryker.
    2015 RT , Black