Spyder Garage

Default What size are the oil Drain Plugs?

Getting ready to change my oil on my 2022 S2S. What size are the drain plugs?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-22-2022 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rgus View Post
    Getting ready to change my oil on my 2022 S2S. What size are the drain plugs?
    Engine drain is T45 Torx, transmission/clutch drain is 6mm hex.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I'd replaced them with hex head if i were you! I bought a used Spyder and the mechanic who did the 1st service messed up the torx drain ( I know because I have the service receipts from the previous owner!) Bike is a 2020 with 6300 miles.

Spyder Garage

Buy these before you change your oil https://www.lamonstergarage.com/show...ic-drain-plug/ I just installed a set at my first oil change (3,000 mile service). You won't have to mess with mismatched torx and allen keys again.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RollonAA View Post
    I'd replaced them with hex head if i were you! I bought a used Spyder and the mechanic who did the 1st service messed up the torx drain ( I know because I have the service receipts from the previous owner!) Bike is a 2020 with 6300 miles.
    at least 1/2 way ..... IMHO the TORX head bolt is the problem one ..... Not the HEX head bolt .... I only changed the Torx years ago and have not had any issues ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    at least 1/2 way ..... IMHO the TORX head bolt is the problem one ..... Not the HEX head bolt .... I only changed the Torx years ago and have not had any issues ..... good luck .... Mike
    Ditto
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I did buy replacement drain plugs from Lamonster and have changed the main oil plug out. I screwed up the tranny plug by trying to use a T40. I just rounded the durn hole some. I am waiting on some JB Weld and another T40. I am going to clean it and the drain plug with alcohol then JB welding a T40 in place. Hopefully after 24 hours it will have enough strength to remove the oem plug for the replacement plug. cross your fingers.

Spyder Garage

I did buy replacement drain plugs from Lamonster and have changed the main oil plug out. I screwed up the tranny plug by trying to use a T40. I just rounded the durn hole some. I am waiting on some JB Weld and another T40. I am going to clean it and the drain plug with alcohol then JB welding a T40 in place. Hopefully after 24 hours it will have enough strength to remove the oem plug for the replacement plug. cross your fingers.

Jack it up high enough to short swing a hammer under there. Take any of the plastic crap in the way off the bottom of the case. You can tap the stripped plugs out with a small, very sharp center punch. Tap in the unscrew direction.......... remember, it is upside down!
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Well JB Weld will not stick to the material that the drain plug is made of so I am back to square one. I really have no way to raise it high enough to get under it safely. What problems am I getting into if I change the oil and filter with the old oil in the transmission and taking it somewhere that can get the damn plug out?

Spyder Garage

To raise it up you need to go buy Walmart plastic ramps or rhinos. For $38-$50 you will use them forever anyway. RGUS here is what I would do. I know its wasted money but we have had to do it often when I was in my racing years. If the hole is rounded and Gwolf technique doesn’t work because its rounded then either get a next size larger than the rounded area in either a square or torx. I prefer the torx. First take a 1/4” deep socket and hold it against the bolt. Next hit it with a hammer to remove the varnish. Put a very little heat on it. No need to get really hot just a warm, nothing more. Take the larger torx bit. I prefer snapon since they are rock hard and you can change the head when you’re done so your’e only out $9.00. Start to drive the bit into the bolt so it grips and seated in with a hammer. Basically hold the bit like a nail and nail the bit into the plugs end. You’re basically creating a new bolt hole. Then make sure you’re re going the right way and twist out with a ratchet Slowly. Don’t rock it keep it straight and hand under pushing up for pressure. Again a little heat. This is very archaic method but will work if you go slow. If that doesn’t work, an easy out screw is all you can use. Or drill out which is last resort.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 09-28-2022 at 08:47 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

No need to replace the plugs with hex. Use the correct tools to remove and they come right out. I have literally done several hundred oil changes on Spyders and not had trouble getting out a single plug that was not already mangled by using the wrong tools.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Buy these before you change your oil https://www.lamonstergarage.com/show...ic-drain-plug/ I just installed a set at my first oil change (3,000 mile service). You won't have to mess with mismatched torx and allen keys again.
    I bought these my very first oil change. Best thing I did. The 2020 the brake lever was in the way. I reversed the bolt that as well and put the nut on the side that is not blocking the plug.

Spyder Garage

Well JB Weld will not stick to the material that the drain plug is made of so I am back to square one. I really have no way to raise it high enough to get under it safely. What problems am I getting into if I change the oil and filter with the old oil in the transmission and taking it somewhere that can get the damn plug out?
    Can you try vise-grip pliers to grab the head of the plug?
    Granted, you'll ruin the drain plug, so have the replacement in hand before you try this.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

You could always use an ease-out. I have used them plenty of times. Get one that is almost too big and tap it into the plug. Most likely it will then come out.
    Do not use one that is too small.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Well, been there done that! Had a 2011 RT, rounded out blamed hex head. Had a set of Roddick Wedge Pruff extractors. Worked like a charm. Replaced with hex head. They're expensive, but worth it.. D-Daddy!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2022 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Hadaset....

Spyder Garage

JB Weld will not stick to anything with oil film. Clean metal with plenty of wood grain alcohol first. The alcohol left on it will evaporate in about a minute.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver