Spyder Garage

Default 2022 RTL upper-rear storage -vs- 2013 RT storage

Last edited by GoNoGo; 11-01-2022 at 10:04 PM.
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Here's an image of it.

https://spyderboyz.com/wp-content/up...-1200x1200.jpg

It's pretty big. Two helmets can easily fit into it. It doesn't come with the organizer shown in the picture.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Last edited by GoNoGo; 11-01-2022 at 10:03 PM.
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

GoNoGo, keep in mind that the top box removal on the ‘20+ RT models takes all of 30 seconds. I ride my ‘21 RT-L 90% of the time without the top box as, like you, I prefer that look. However, it is 30 seconds work to reinstall it if required.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
    Wow, the 20-22 RTL upper box appears so much wider than my 2013's.. but $5k is a lot of cash. (I doubt I'll ever carry passengers)

Is any after-market company offering any upper-rear storage box for the 2020-22 RT ?
    If you're ever up around Hartwell just give me a shout and you can look at mine and see for yourself the difference.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Last edited by GoNoGo; 11-01-2022 at 10:03 PM.
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

A lot of folks would recommend getting a Shad box instead of the OEM. I have the base model RT and added the OEM case. I like the look with the case, and the storage is a plus. If I'm not mistaken, the RTL doesn't come with the back plate that color matches and covers the blank space once the top case is removed. So, if you want the RTL, but want to ride w/o the top case, you'll have to turn over some more coinage to add that cover. You should be able to save a few hundred $ if you go with the RT and shad box though. I'm sure you can find a few photos on here.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    A lot of folks would recommend getting a Shad box instead of the OEM. I have the base model RT and added the OEM case. I like the look with the case, and the storage is a plus. If I'm not mistaken, the RTL doesn't come with the back plate that color matches and covers the blank space once the top case is removed. So, if you want the RTL, but want to ride w/o the top case, you'll have to turn over some more coinage to add that cover. You should be able to save a few hundred $ if you go with the RT and shad box though. I'm sure you can find a few photos on here.
    There's really no reason that you have to have the cover but, it sure looks better with one than without.

I just happened upon a cover here in the for-sale section that was the same color as mine, for just a little over a benjamin I now have one.

Also I'm not sure if the Shad top or LinQ has the option for a backrest or not. If you do any 2 up riding it sure helps.

Just a month or two ago there was a top case on FB marketplace for 800.00, that's another option but I "Strongly" advise paying with PayPal G&S just in case. Lots of fake/fraud stuff out there.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 09-22-2022 at 12:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wow, the 20-22 RTL upper box appears so much wider than my 2013's.. but $5k is a lot of cash. (I doubt I'll ever carry passengers)

Is any after-market company offering any upper-rear storage box for the 2020-22 RT ?
    I made my decision based on what I could afford so I ended up with the RT and bought the top case. It made more sense for my situation.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=K80Shooter;1647216]There's really no reason that you have to have the cover but, it sure looks better with one than without.

Also I'm not sure if the Shad top or LinQ has the option for a backrest or not. If you do any 2 up riding it sure helps.

According to the video in the link that I added above, there is an option to add the backrest to the Shad case. It isn't my choice. Just providing feedback. The OEM would be my choice. Especially since it comes with backrest, speakers, usb charging points, etc.

There are options and surely by shopping around you can stumble on deals from the individuals, dealers, or through BRP directly. I believe last year, BRP offered 20% off on all accessories ordered from them. It may happen again.

Spyder Garage

Last edited by GoNoGo; 11-01-2022 at 10:04 PM.
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I believe the OEM comes in black as a standalone accessory like mine. You may be able to get it color matched though.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    I believe the OEM comes in black as a standalone accessory like mine. You may be able to get it color matched though.
    John is 100% correct, GoNoGo. The top case only comes with a gloss black lid. Mind you, it fits in quite well as all models have a fair bit of black on them. The optional rear cover for when you remove the top case does come in a colour match.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2020 RT base because it was cheaper. I realized that I wanted the top case and got lucky, it was on sale for $1600. That is a lot of money but, it has the speakers in it and the lights on it. Plus it holds a lot. I love it and feel like that $1600 was well worth it.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Last edited by GoNoGo; 11-01-2022 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Put quote above question so readers could see who/what you were asking about... ;-)
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Did you need to purchase any other LinQ parts such as bracket or base plate.. or did you simply purchase the OEM top case, pop off your factory rear cover and then drop on and twist-lock the OEM top case onto your Spyder RT ?

Did you order a keyed-alike lock & KEY set for the OEM top case in order to match your bike's ignition and did the dealer need to perform that work and what was that cost ?

Thanks in advance
    While I'm not beerandchips I will try to answer your questions.

On the top case, there is no LinQ parts on the OEM case. You just pop off the original and install the top case and plug in the wire harness (it's already there), a very easy swap and maybe 5 min tops.

When you get the base unit, it will/should come with an extra key barrel just for this, already keyed.