Spyder Garage

Default 2022 RTL First Long Tour - some of my General Observations

Howdy all,

I recently returned from a 28-day trip of about 10,000 kms. Following are some general observations that I hope will help or be of interest. Disclosure, I do not work for nor am I affiliated in any way with the companies I discuss below and they do not know I am reviewing them or their products.

- First and by far the most significant observation, is how comfortable this bike is! I did several 8+ hour days and at the end I never felt physically exhausted or in pain. I can't say the same for my car or any of the motorcycles I owned.

Shout-out to the Purcellville, Virginia, Can Am dealer called Motomember. I had several OEM parts put on, ordered near the end of their work-day. They offered to have the install workers stay late, about 4 hours, to install everything. I didn't want that so I returned 2 days later. Some thoughts on the new parts:
    - Backrest. I was using my dry-bag luggage as a backrest and it worked well but wasn't a long-term solution. The "lockable" OEM backrest is extremely comfortable. The dealership did not have one in stock so they took one off a bike on the showroom floor.
    - Handle bar risers. I thought this was an OEM accessory but I don't see it on the Can Am site. If it's aftermarket it blends perfectly with the stock bars. I'm 5'10 and without the risers I was reaching a bit too far. The risers fixed that.
    - Driver floorboard lights. There is very little stock lighting on the side of the bike. The OEM lighting fixes that issue exceptionally well. They are extremely bright, to the point where before I got used to them, at night I thought there was a car in my blind spot. They also shine backwards, lighting the rear in a very significant way. Highly recommended.
    - Top of front fender turn signals. Gave me added peace of mind, especially regarding getting the attention of drivers to the side of the bike.

One other item I would like you to be aware of. In 2015 I was hit from behind while stopped at a light. The bike was a write off, my helmet (a very good model) was visibly cracked, I was apparently supposed to die (but being an old infanteer I'm too stubborn to die yet ), and I had a TBI and brain bleed. In the police report, the (insert your favourite expletive here), claimed he didn't see me. Due in large part to the accident, I had brain surgery and can't ride 2 wheels anymore, hence the Spyder. As you might imagine, I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to vehicles approaching from behind. A few months back I bought a product called BRAKE LIGHT. It attaches to the back of your helmet, doesn't require any wiring and, according to dozens of people, does an outstanding job of getting their attention. For your own safety sake, take a look at this online.

Take care all!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2022 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly mention thread purpose.... ;-)
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LimaNiner View Post
    Howdy all,

I recently returned from a 28-day trip of about 10,000 kms. Following are some general observations that I hope will help or be of interest. Disclosure, I do not work for nor am I affiliated in any way with the companies I discuss below and they do not know I am reviewing them or their products.

- First and by far the most significant observation, is how comfortable this bike is! I did several 8+ hour days and at the end I never felt physically exhausted or in pain. I can't say the same for my car or any of the motorcycles I owned.

Shout-out to the Purcellville, Virginia, Can Am dealer called Motomember. I had several OEM parts put on, ordered near the end of their work-day. They offered to have the install workers stay late, about 4 hours, to install everything. I didn't want that so I returned 2 days later. Some thoughts on the new parts:
    - Backrest. I was using my dry-bag luggage as a backrest and it worked well but wasn't a long-term solution. The "lockable" OEM backrest is extremely comfortable. The dealership did not have one in stock so they took one off a bike on the showroom floor.
    - Handle bar risers. I thought this was an OEM accessory but I don't see it on the Can Am site. If it's aftermarket it blends perfectly with the stock bars. I'm 5'10 and without the risers I was reaching a bit too far. The risers fixed that.
    - Driver floorboard lights. There is very little stock lighting on the side of the bike. The OEM lighting fixes that issue exceptionally well. They are extremely bright, to the point where before I got used to them, at night I thought there was a car in my blind spot. They also shine backwards, lighting the rear in a very significant way. Highly recommended.
    - Top of front fender turn signals. Gave me added peace of mind, especially regarding getting the attention of drivers to the side of the bike.

One other item I would like you to be aware of. In 2015 I was hit from behind while stopped at a light. The bike was a write off, my helmet (a very good model) was visibly cracked, I was apparently supposed to die (but being an old infanteer I'm too stubborn to die yet ), and I had a TBI and brain bleed. In the police report, the (insert your favourite expletive here), claimed he didn't see me. Due in large part to the accident, I had brain surgery and can't ride 2 wheels anymore, hence the Spyder. As you might imagine, I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to vehicles approaching from behind. A few months back I bought a product called BRAKE LIGHT. It attaches to the back of your helmet, doesn't require any wiring and, according to dozens of people, does an outstanding job of getting their attention. For your own safety sake, take a look at this online.

Take care all!!
    Very sorry to read this , glad you are ok ...... Concerning " being seen " ..... I was an LEO for over 35 years ..... I was at the scene of SIX accidents involving Fire / Emergency veh's..... ALL of them were hit by drivers who DIDN'T SEE them ..... If you think you can make a Spyder more visible than a Fire Truck, please share what you did ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Last edited by GoNoGo; 11-01-2022 at 10:05 PM.
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Lima, I am also a bit paranoid of people stopping behind me. I'm like that in my truck as well. So many people not paying attention to the road and their surroundings. When they are getting ready to stop, they're either reaching for their lifeline (cell phone) or are already on it. Apparently, that text message or Facebook post is more important. I had a guy almost slam the back of my truck because his mug was buried in his phone. When I got out and said something, his response was, "But I didn't hit you did I?". Arrogant $%^$#@!!!

Anyhow, back on topic. I also bought the light for me and the wife. In fact, I've added mods to both bikes to have a bigger footprint. However, no matter how many lights you have, or how visible you think you can make yourself, there's always some buffoon who has his or her mind on more important things, in their minds anyhow.

I am glad you survived to ride another day. Stay safe.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Billie at Motomember did a very good job for us too! Not sure anymore but at the time it was the largest spyder dealer on the east coast. While we were there he sold 27 spyder in one day at an awesome BRP open house. He had a smoker truck for free food and drinks, all kinds of door prizes and huge discounts. He had at that time probably 150 units in the parking lot for sale and another 20 or so used ones form the BRP training course. He was the only one at the time that was allowed to sell the training course spyders. The deals were awesome and he had the largest accessories garage storage area I’ve ever seen. You walked around pointed at the wall and they’d install the part. You test it and they’d take it off if you didn’t like it. It was all on site with 4 garages that were 3 stalls deep. Beautiful facility. I’m guessing he can’t do those deals now like he did then!
    Last edited by Wmoater; 09-21-2022 at 10:47 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I dealt with Billie as well. Quite a salesman in terms of knowledge and customer service. I wish I lived closer (I'm about 4000 kilometres away).
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic