Spyder Garage

Default 2022 RTL - Trailer Hitch - my whining, concerns, & questions?!

I know there are several threads regarding trailer hitches but I'm hoping this one will consolidate info specific to the 2022 models. I'm also going to whine a bit (LOL)

First, the whining! In July and August, 2 dealers assured me, once in writing, that they had trailer hitches for the 2022 RTL. In both cases I told them of the lack of 2022 hitch on the BRP accessories site (the site says of the trailer hitch "Spyder RT 2020 and 2021 only"), the discussion on various forums, and chats I had with other owners. I gave them the info prior to them telling me both times that they had the parts. Based on the info from the first dealer, I finalized plans for a 10,000 kilometres trip, including purchasing a new Lees-Ure-Lite motorcycle camping trailer.

In the case of the second dealer, I also told them that the first dealer said they had the part but in fact didn't. Even after that, the second dealer assured me they had all the parts necessary. I had to deliver my bike about a 2 hours drive away, with my wife following me to get me home because the install was going to take 5 days. I had to take taxis and a bus to retrieve the bike after 5 days. In total, I spent about $225 on that effort. After that I was a bit desperate because my trip date was about a week away. I looked for a business that would make a hitch, without success.

I'm going to try to work with both dealers for some sort of future discounts. I'll let you know how that goes and then maybe I'll identify the dealers.

So, now on to the issue of availability. The second dealer told me the hitches for 2022 RTL would be available on September 19. I have not yet called to see if they have them. A couple question for the Forum:
    - Has anyone had an OEM trailer hitch put on their 2022 RTL?
    - Has anyone received info from their dealer as to when the hitches will be available?
    - Has anyone received reliable info from other sources regarding projected availability?
    - Has anyone had a hitch made that meets the OEM specs (I don't know what they are) and that won't void the warranty. If any of you did get one made, who did it (pics would be appreciated)?

Thanks all
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2022 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly mention thread purpose.... ;-)
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Spyder Garage

I don’t know how true it is but I was told by a huge can am dealership and also heard at a sled rally event too where BRP was present, that many parts are available and starting to come in but still listed backorder and or not being shipped till next spring inorder to fill all the parts bin back up. Since this is the out of season time for spyders makes a little sense I guess. So yes the hitch might have been scheduled in and the dealer sees them in stock but BRP is not sending them out. This may be hearsay but heard from 2 different places no where’s close to each other with two different product lines saying same thing.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

4A9B6D45-1BEE-41CE-B3F0-C8D9571734FE.jpg found while back @ a dealership (non Can-Am)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It sounds like your backed into a corner ..... just buy an After-market hitch and wiring ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

One thing that you need to check is IF your Spyder has the axle with a hole through the center of it.

There was a lot of them that did not and had to have the axle replaced.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

My dealer ordered a 2020/2021 axle for my 2022 RT many weeks ago… and it came in today ! He called and asked me to bring hitch down so they can ensure hitch bolt would fit. SUCCESS!

Even if your 2022 has a hole through the axle, it may be too small to fit the hitch bolt.

Good luck.
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Today, I received a call from the dealer indicating the new 2022 hitch assembly is in. They wanted me to deliver the bike and leave it for a few days. I declined and told them I'm already out $225 for this item and I'm not about to put out another $225 or more. They said they would install next Friday (September 30), while I wait. We'll see what happens.

Has anyone else heard of the new parts being delivered or installed?
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    My dealer ordered a 2020/2021 axle for my 2022 RT many weeks ago… and it came in today ! He called and asked me to bring hitch down so they can ensure hitch bolt would fit. SUCCESS!

Even if your 2022 has a hole through the axle, it may be too small to fit the hitch bolt.

Good luck.
    Same issue here, I had the bolt from my 2014 and it would not fit through the axle bolt with hole of 2022. I’m now awaiting shipment of new axle shaft bolt……
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Same issue here, I had the bolt from my 2014 and it would not fit through the axle bolt with hole of 2022. I’m now awaiting shipment of new axle shaft bolt……
    Brentc, rattle their cage. The older-style axles that will take the trailer hitch bolt are no longer on back order.

Bob
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Brentc, rattle their cage. The older-style axles that will take the trailer hitch bolt are no longer on back order.

Bob
    New hitch bolt showed up yesterday, did not fit the axle shaft with hole on 2022. Waiting to hear back, again, from dealer. So now I can only assume that I will need the correct axle shaft bolt with proper size hole. Question is, how big of a job is that to swap?
    Last edited by Brentc; 09-25-2022 at 05:13 AM.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

New hitch bolt showed up yesterday, did not fit the axle shaft with hole on 2022. Waiting to hear back, again, from dealer. So now I can only assume that I will need the correct axle shaft bolt with proper size hole. Question is, how big of a job is that to swap?
    Consider getting a smaller Diameter BOLT ..... WHY will this work, you can ONLY TOW a Max weight of 400 lbs. and that's on a trailer with wheels ..... Even a 1/4 inch threaded ROD has a SHEAR strength that is more than 10 times the weight you can pull. .... Of course, swap it out after you get your FREE one from the dealer ...... If you don't know what "SHEAR strength" means - google it. ...... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 06:36 PM. Reason: ONLT - ONLY; SHEER - SHEAR ;-)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Consider getting a smaller Diameter BOLT ..... WHY will this work, you can ONLY TOW a Max weight of 400 lbs. and that's on a trailer with wheels ..... Even a 1/4 inch threaded ROD has a SHEAR strength that is more than 10 times the weight you can pull. .... Of course, swap it out after you get your FREE one from the dealer ...... If you don't know what "SHEAR strength" means - google it. ...... good luck .... Mike
    Actually you don't need to be concerned about the shear strength. The pulling force on the hitch is transferred to the axle head and nut and there ain't no way in hades it'll ever shear. The tension strength of the bolt is what matters and all it has to be is enough to keep the hitch arms snug against the swing arm.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Question is, how big of a job is that to swap?
    Big enough that you don't want to do it if you can avoid it. The main issue is getting the axle nut torqued properly while at the same time keeping the belt tracking and tension where they're supposed to be. For me that was a royal pain in the rear, but for many others here it hasn't been a big deal at all. Read some of the threads on changing the rear tire. That will give you a clear idea what all is involved.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Actually you don't need to be concerned about the shear strength. The pulling force on the hitch is transferred to the axle head and nut and there ain't no way in hades it'll ever shear. The tension strength of the bolt is what matters and all it has to be is enough to keep the hitch arms snug against the swing arm.
    Your right .... Thanks for correcting this ..... I should have looked at my Hitch before I posted ......Thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Regarding how the hitch is secured and transfers loads into the axle / swingarm, the original post references an oem BRP hitch I believe. Correct me if wrong, but the oem style hitch slides onto the swingarm from the rear and is secured with the long bolt. The bolt while pulling the trailer is 100% in shear.

Also, the shear load is not limited to the maximum rated draw weight, it should be more based on combined weight and induced G forces of acceleration, deceleration and cornering forces which can be opposing with one side shearing forward as the opposite side is shearing aft. Instantaneous forces from bumps or suspension movements can cause fatigue issues also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Regarding how the hitch is secured and transfers loads into the axle / swingarm, the original post references an oem BRP hitch I believe. Correct me if wrong, but the oem style hitch slides onto the swingarm from the rear and is secured with the long bolt. The bolt while pulling the trailer is 100% in shear.

Also, the shear load is not limited to the maximum rated draw weight, it should be more based on combined weight and induced G forces of acceleration, deceleration and cornering forces which can be opposing with one side shearing forward as the opposite side is shearing aft. Instantaneous forces from bumps or suspension movements can cause fatigue issues also.
    My bad. You are correct.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    My bad. You are correct.
    Probably best and safest, if using the BRP / Can Am hitch, is to utilize the correct bolt and attachment method, even if it requires sorting out the issues of the axle center hole diameter, and swapping in the correct axle.

In a worse case, the axle with the too small of a diameter center could be modified to correctly fit the long hitch bolt. A good machine shop with gun drilling capability should easily do it for low cost. But very odd Can Am is not supplying the correct parts.

Spyder Garage

Dealer called me this past weekend. I have an appointment to have the replacement axle and hitch installed this Friday. Said it was about an hour job (along with replacement passenger foot boards - they shipped mine with one chrome, one black). Note that they did most of the install including wiring before I took delivery. I'll let you know how it goes.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    But very odd Can Am is not supplying the correct parts.
    Such things can happen if the vendor comes in with a cost reduction proposal by changing a part and the person in BRP who reviews and approves it is unaware of the consequence of the change. My observation has been the communication about details is a weak spot in BRP engineering and documentation.

2014 Copper RTS