Spyder Garage

Default How much tupperware needs removal to Wire my GPS directly to the Battery?

I have a 21 RTL and I'm looking to wire my Zumo XT directly to the battery. Does anyone know how many panels I need to remove? I'd like to run the wire from the handlebars, following the handlebars down to the battery. I've read the posts on running the GPS wires to the accessory wire, but I don't feel comfortable splicing the accessory wire. Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2022 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Don’t forget that wiring your GPS directly to your battery will mean that you will HAVE to remember to turn the XT off every time you leave the RT On3wheels; or you will come back to a flat battery as the XT will remain on as long as it's getting power.
    It really is worthwhile working out how to connect it to the accessory circuit. It is not difficult. There is a small connector which Lamonster sells; you feed your XT wire into one end and tighten; and the other end has a screw on cap which pierces the accessory wire and fastens to it. Easy Peasy. Sorry, I can’t think of its name at the moment.

Pete

p.s. getting from the handlebars to the battery or accessory point is quite easy too. Remove the painted side panels and the small cover panel next to the “tank”, and you should be able to see all the way through.
    Last edited by Peteoz; 09-20-2022 at 11:04 PM. Reason: ; ;-)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

This is the Lamonster kit……it’s the PosiTaps you are specifically after, but the rest will also come in handy…. He also has a video on how to install them.
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/elec...ctor-kit-28pc/

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Don’t forget that wiring your GPS directly to your battery will mean that you will HAVE to remember to turn the XT off every time you leave the RT On3wheels; or you will come back to a flat battery as the XT will remain on as long as it's getting power.
    It really is worthwhile working out how to connect it to the accessory circuit. It is not difficult. There is a small connector which Lamonster sells; you feed your XT wire into one end and tighten; and the other end has a screw on cap which pierces the accessory wire and fastens to it. Easy Peasy. Sorry, I can’t think of it’s name at the moment.

Pete

p.s. getting from the handlebars to the battery or accessory point is quite easy too. Remove the painted side panels and the small cover panel next to the “tank”, and you should be able to see all the way through.
    Pete is ABSOLUTELY correct here.
    I echo Pete's recommendation to connect your GPS to a switched circuit, or you'll kill your battery.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2022 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Plus 2 on Pete's recommendation. Watch the video. It's easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

I know this doesn't directly answer you question about the tupperware, but if you plan to add electrical to the Spyder, consider a power distribution box. I added one to our 2018 RTL to add electrical capability and bypass the nanny. I don't know what kind of space you have on yur ride, but I have found space to do this mod on various bikes/tikes of ours - 2 Goldwing trikes - a 1500 and an 1800, Harley FLHS & a Sportster, 2 VW based trikes, my 2013 Triumph Bonneville and our '18 RTL, plus a few friends rides.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ribution-block
    Last edited by ozarkryder; 09-20-2022 at 11:09 PM.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your input. I watched the LaMonster video, and it looks like I will try that since I don't have to cut the accessory wire. Thanks again.