Spyder Garage

Default Any 'How To' advice on 2020 Trunk lid strut replacement?

I need to replace the trunk lid strut and plan to use the BRP part. How do you do this? What all do you have to take apart? I tried searching previous posts but don’t see a how to.

Spyder Garage

I've taken mine off right after I got it to see what the problem with the strut was. It's just too weak. I watched a video online but can't find it now. I have not found a stronger replacement yet. It isn't that hard to do, but until someone can come up with a stronger strut, I am just propping it open. I know this doesn't help you take it off but may save you time and $'s.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Changing the strut is easy. Just remove the 2 screws in the trunk that hold the passenger back rest on, remove the back rest, unclip the bottom of the strut, then lift the lid to expose the upper bolt, remove bolt and remove strut. Problem is, the new strut won't last very long, if at all. And for $70 it just isn't worth it. I put a spring on my failing strut as mentioned in another post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
    I need to replace the trunk lid strut and plan to use the BRP part. How do you do this? What all do you have to take apart? I tried searching previous posts but don’t see a how to.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhoug View Post
    Changing the strut is easy. Just remove the 2 screws in the trunk that hold the passenger back rest on, remove the back rest, unclip the bottom of the strut, then lift the lid to expose the upper bolt, remove bolt and remove strut. Problem is, the new strut won't last very long, if at all. And for $70 it just isn't worth it. I put a spring on my failing strut as mentioned in another post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I've taken mine off right after I got it to see what the problem with the strut was. It's just too weak. I watched a video online but can't find it now. I have not found a stronger replacement yet. It isn't that hard to do, but until someone can come up with a stronger strut, I am just propping it open. I know this doesn't help you take it off but may save you time and $'s.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1406359

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1633945

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1644951

Last edited by ThreeWheels; 09-22-2022 at 07:31 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I am having the same issue with the top case strut. I thought it was always like that but I don't ever remember it almost slamming on my head after opening. That happened the other day. I caught it before it did. I bought springs (from someone's idea in another topic) for my seat because with the sheepskin on, it won't stay up, so I'll use the 2nd one I have for the top case.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue