Spyder Garage

Default Looking for the right spyder

Hello all,

My wife and I are thinking about buying our first Spyder. We would like to go on long rides and just enjoy the ride. We have no need to go super fast, but comfort would be our best choice. I do not know much about Spyders yet, this would be the main reason for reaching out. Any information about a Spyder that meets the above criteria would be great before we spend that hard earned money.

Thank you
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2022 at 12:38 PM. Reason: the - that ;-)

Spyder Garage

My wife and I were in the same situation. We went to a dealer that had an older RT, new RT, and an F3. After sitting on them all, we came to the conclusion that the F3 would be our pick. I'm 6'2" 270lbs and the older RT seemed a bit cramped to me. The new RT was better and way more comfortable, but I was concern about not being able to stretch out my legs. On the F3, you can adjust the floor boards to fit your height. Good luck finding a place with all them in stock though..
    2016 F3L (sold)
    2019 F3L
    2019 F3 Limited , Position 5 brake rod Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TigWelder View Post
    Hello all,

My wife and I are thinking about buying our first Spyder. We would like to go on long rides and just enjoy the ride. We have no need to go super fast, but comfort would be our best choice. I do not know much about Spyders yet, this would be the main reason for reaching out. Any information about a Spyder the meets the above criteria would be great before we spend that hard earned money.

Thank you
    Sounds like you may like an RT. Test drive to make sure that is really what you want though. RT is better than F3 for two up riding.

I have owned both versions. I liken the RT to a Cadillac. You sit on the couch. I liken the F3 to a Jaguar. Closer to the ground, lower center of gravity. You sit "in" it and not "on" it. A big investment either way. Test drive, test drive, test, drive. Big dealer in Springfield, should have stock to test drive. Call first to make sure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Once in a while used ones come up for sale in the "For Sale By Owner" section on this site. You might want to check it out.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Only you can make the discission of which one will fit you, go out and test drive, or sometimes you can find a place that will let you rent for a day and try them out. The new styles they have now are much more comfy than the old styles, I have the 2012 RTL, and think I would like a F3L next time!! Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2022 at 12:40 PM. Reason: rtl - RTL ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

A lot has to do with your budget. Give us an idea?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

IMO, Mikey and Copperman have the best advice and in the correct order. You need to do everything you possibly can to decide which Spyder fits you best physically and then financially. For example, I have 81K miles on my 2014 RT-S SE Spyder. I have ridden an F3 also and, while I found it peppy and fun to ride, it was uncomfortable because of where the Tupperware hits the inside of my knees and therefore is not an option for me.
    Last edited by JayBros; 09-18-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

ABSOLUTELY test both ..... IMHO the F-3 is lots more comfortable for the Driver than it is for the Passenger. Also the F-3 has waaaaaaaaaay less cargo space ...... Don't be surprised when you first Drive one - you are disappointed - most are ...... It has a very different feel than anything else you've driven except maybe a sno-mobile or large ATV. Once you learn how they handle Fantastically .... I wouldn't go back to TWO wheels under any circumstances .... Any Spyder ( 14 & up ) will have the 1330 motor lots better for many reasons ..... The Can-Am " SEMI-AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION " is far better than the manual ... Think Ferrari PADDLE SHIFTER ...and the newer Corvettes arn't even available with a manual trans. good luck and .... Mike

Spyder Garage

& suggest finding a motorcycle training course, for you & wife to enjoy (more experience the better) in meantime can visit dealers - sit & feel various models finding what’s comfy for y’all. Most likely RT or F3T *(also variants there of- RTL- RTlimited -has more options ; heated grips, seats, & other features. Dealer can show you more as well the F3). May actually go further with 1 each instead of driver -passenger , most couples seem to get another at least.:dontknow Either way also look into helmet communications when shopping. enjoy

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfanatic View Post
    My wife and I were in the same situation. We went to a dealer that had an older RT, new RT, and an F3. After sitting on them all, we came to the conclusion that the F3 would be our pick. I'm 6'2" 270lbs and the older RT seemed a bit cramped to me. The new RT was better and way more comfortable, but I was concern about not being able to stretch out my legs. On the F3, you can adjust the floor boards to fit your height. Good luck finding a place with all them in stock though..
    I am 6'4" and weight in at 260 myself. Thank you for your info.

As for budget, I would like to stay in a used 10K- 20K range, if there is such a thing.

For the motorcycle training portion. I used to ride a Harley, I don't anymore because my current wife being an RN/EMT has seen to many injuries resulting from two wheel crashes. So, I am now looking into the Spyder scene as she said she would ride one of these.

As for comfort I would want my wife to have more comfort as the passenger than me being the driver. If she is comfortable she will enjoy the ride more. I would be fine with whatever is available.

Thank you all for the replies, and thanks for the welcome

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum Tigwelder! Look at the F3 Limited and the RT Limited the newer the better. Test ride them if you can, they are not like a two wheeler that's for sure so don't look for that feel. The F3L will be more adjustable for the floorboards and the RTL has better windshield and comfort for passenger I think but both have the same great engine and trans. Good luck with your research.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am 6'4" and weight in at 260 myself.
    For the motorcycle training portion. I used to ride a Harley
    As a former 2 wheel rider, you have a lot to un-learn. You won’t get on a Spyder and be instantly comfortable. The 3-wheel
    course will be beneficial. I came off 2 wheels and it took me a couple thousand miles to become comfortable.

Welcome to SpyderLovers, and please...keep is posted on what you end up with.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I am 6'4" and weight in at 260 myself. Thank you for your info.

As for budget, I would like to stay in a used 10K- 20K range, if there is such a thing.

For the motorcycle training portion. I used to ride a Harley, I don't anymore because my current wife being an RN/EMT has seen to many injuries resulting from two wheel crashes. So, I am now looking into the Spyder scene as she said she would ride one of these.

As for comfort I would want my wife to have more comfort as the passenger than me being the driver. If she is comfortable she will enjoy the ride more. I would be fine with whatever is available.

On the comfort part, make sure you get the bride a nice set of armrests, she will love them, and a happy wife gives you a happy life!!! My bride will just sit back there like a queen, and be a back seat driver threw the communicators!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The passengers needs, comfort and opinions are critical for the spyder experience to be successful. Long trips can become very unpleasant if the passenger is uncomfortable. The major deal breaker for us was if my wife couldn’t have some forward visibility over my head/ helmet. She did not want to spend hours leaning to the right or left trying to see toward the front. For many passengers this doesn’t seem to be a concern. The F3L allowed this. The floor boards needed to be lower allowing her to stretch her legs out more. The F3L fit her needs. I did have to add OEM arm rests to add to her comfort. I also added a Baja Ron sway bar to reduce the side by side rocking.

Not sure if this is helpful, just some of our experiences.

Poasttown 2019 F3L

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! As others have said, the RT is definitely more comfortable for the passenger. But you really need to sit on both and decide for yourself. For your budget, you should be able to get a nice one. Prices are a little crazy right now, so be patient and the right deal will show up. If you are willing to ride or drive a couple of hours, there are deals out there. Patience is the key thing when buying used. Good Luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...021-Sea-to-Sky

Check this out..for sale right now on the Spyderlovers Classified forum.
    I wholeheartedly recommend the Spyder RT Ltd or this Sea-to-Sky.. which is a slightly fancier RT Ltd.
    I was looking for something as comfortable with all the bells and whistles as my Gold Wing trike. The 2021 Spyder RT Ltd filled the bill. The 2020 models and up are a little different design than previous models. I love the roomy top trunk and heated seats. The reverse is a lot better than my Gold Wing reverse ever was. Have enjoyed it a lot so far.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

You stated ur wife's comfort is before yours...RT limited.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...RTL-Sea-to-Sky

Heres another one right here on SpyderLovers classifieds… also, closer to you..
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    x3
    Your wife will be the most comfortable on an RTL
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic