Spyder Garage

Default Just a thought regarding searching on the forum

I’m posting this realizing that I may get flamed because I’m fairly new…………..However……
    Today I was doing searches on fuel range for my 2011 RT.
    It would really be of assistance on all searches if everyone was kind enough to put their year and model of Spyder or Ryker in their signature.
    That way it would always be there which would assist is searches.
    Just a thought.
    Thanks
    Greg
    Last edited by Wrongway; 09-16-2022 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

It is stickied at the top of this sub forum https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ssed-On-To-All

Not that all people read it, or do it, but it is there.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2022 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Made sure link worked properly! ;-)
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Yea, we've only been asking that since before you got your Spyder.... Apparently communicating the full thought is a lost art. Many poster's assume we magically know what bike, model, and year they're asking about. But I'm sure you've been told, fill it up, drive it until you're coasting or you just had to put fuel in. A 260lb rider is gonna get way different mileage than a 160lb rider. I took a REDA Spare Gass can on my '13RTL and rode a quiet highway in MN until my '13 sputtered, poured in the spare and headed back home stopping at the first station. 150 miles one tank to coasting, I think over the years, using a gas can top off, the best I ever got was in the 160's and it took a full 6+gal tank to fill up.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Yea, we've only been asking that since before you got your Spyder.... Apparently communicating the full thought is a lost art. Many poster's assume we magically know what bike, model, and year they're asking about. But I'm sure you've been told, fill it up, drive it until you're coasting or you just had to put fuel in. A 260lb rider is gonna get way different mileage than a 160lb rider. I took a REDA Spare Gass can on my '13RTL and rode a quiet highway in MN until my '13 sputtered, poured in the spare and headed back home stopping at the first station. 150 miles one tank to coasting, I think over the years, using a gas can top off, the best I ever got was in the 160's and it took a full 6+gal tank to fill up.
    Not sure about the relevancy of this post to this thread.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

It will depend on your speed. Between 45 to 60 mph you should get 160 to 180, but do not pass a gas station at 120 miles to be on the safe side. Between 65 and higher I would be filling up around 100 to 120 miles. My experience, yours may very. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Not sure about the relevancy of this post to this thread.
    Hahaha…..I believe David and Bruce may have had a few too many scotches before posting and opened the wrong thread, Dave
    (Unless a post has been deleted, of course)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hahaha…..I believe David and Bruce may have had a few too many scotches before posting and opened the wrong thread, Dave
    (Unless a post has been deleted, of course)

Pete
    No posts deleted..... well, not yet, anyway!! But I think posts #3 & #5 are simply trying to answer the 'fuel range' bit that Wrongway mentioned in passing instead of discussing the thread topic, which is 'Searching on the Forum' and the suggestion that it would be nice & help if all users put the Year & Model of their Spyder/Ryker in their sig line - as asked in the sticky Frogman Dave linked in post #2

No biggie really tho, it's not such a big 'off topic' thing that we can't get over it, there's worse elsewhere & we'll just leave that bit alone & try to get back on topic; except I gotta to point out that regardless of their year/model, Spyder/Ryker owners should NEVER run their EFI engined machines 'til they're spluttering/out of gas, cos that WILL damage the EFI system & eventually cause issues - and there's heaps of discussion about the why's & wherefores on that particular subject elsewhere, if you search.... So now we'll head back onto the real topic....

Wrongway, you are right, it would be nice & it'd help a lot; but apart from the Sticky that already exists (& many either just ignore or never even bother to read! ) there's no way we can really force members to do that thru the software, cos any modifications to the platform to do that will only make it more difficult & expensive to maintain & can also cause significant problems elsewhere.... . So we're left with reminding poster's politely that we often need that info to properly answer their questions & maybe occasionally pointing out that the reason we have Sticky's at all is cos they hold info/advice that's really worth reading & sometimes even acting on!

Btw, anyone reading, have you seen this sticky??

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ssed-On-To-All

If you haven't already, it really helps readers if you do include that info!! . And if you have problems getting the info into your Sig Line, just PM me or any other Moderator & ask for help.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I’ve read the sticky lol.
    And here I thought I had thought of a NEW IDEA……………NOT.
    DGoebel and safecracker…….thanks for the fuel range info.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    I’m posting this realizing that I may get flamed because I’m fairly new…………..However……
    It would really be of assistance on all searches if everyone was kind enough to put their year and model of Spyder or Ryker in their signature.
    Just a thought.
    Thanks
    Greg
    Your 2011 RT with the 998 engine will average 30-35 mpg or so. Your refuel light will come on at about 150. I once went 185 but was sucking fumes at that point. Most of the time, I would fill about 135 miles or so...just to be safe. Time to get off and stretch anyway. The newer 1330's (three cylinder) get about 40 mpg. Most get 200 miles before needing to refuel.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING.....YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY. THE FEISTIER YOU DRIVE, THE LOWER THE MPG. I have owned seven Spyders, Four 998's and three 1330's. The mileage quoted above was pretty close on all the spyders.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When I search the forum I use duckduckgo with the following command: site:spyderlovers.com term1 term2 ... termn

You can use all the normal operators like quotes(""), +, etc.

Try this search on Google or duckduckgo or whatever search engine you like:
    site:spyderlovers.com +2020 "petrol blue"

Much better results than the OR search the forum uses.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    When I search the forum I use duckduckgo with the following command: site:spyderlovers.com term1 term2 ... termn

You can use all the normal operators like quotes(""), +, etc.

Try this search on Google or duckduckgo or whatever search engine you like:
    site:spyderlovers.com +2020 "petrol blue"

Much better results than the OR search the forum uses.
    I actually have resorted to google as you describe because searching the forum is often so frustrating. I guess my point is………why have to do that with such a great forum of information at our disposal.
    I appreciate you answer though.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2022 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Your 2011 RT with the 998 engine will average 30-35 mpg or so. Your refuel light will come on at about 150. I once went 185 but was sucking fumes at that point. Most of the time, I would fill about 135 miles or so...just to be safe. Time to get off and stretch anyway. The newer 1330's (three cylinder) get about 40 mpg. Most get 200 miles before needing to refuel.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING.....YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY. THE FEISTIER YOU DRIVE, THE LOWER THE MPG. I have owned seven Spyders, Four 998's and three 1330's. The mileage quoted above was pretty close on all the spyders.
    Thanks very much for your input. I’m currently at 149 miles on the tank and have 2 bars remaining with no low fuel light yet. I’m sure it’s close though.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2022 at 12:32 PM. Reason: F
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much for your input. I’m currently at 149 miles on the tank and have 2 bars remaining with no low fuel light yet. I’m sure it’s close though.
    One other tidbit. Automatic shut off does NOT equal a full tank of gas. Many find that an additional gallon can be put in the tank. After auto shutoff, pull the nozzel up to the ring. Slowly put in more gas until it fills to the ring. Stop, let it drain down and repeat. You will not overflow the tank, and will get approx another gallon this way. Now it is full for real. If you start calculating mpg, you need to fill the same way each time, otherwise, you do not have apples and apples.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hit reserve today at 167 miles. Rode an additional 15 miles and filled up as described above. I can’t remember now how much gas it took because I worked it our right after the fill up. Anyway, I know it was 35 mpg so I was pleased.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

ARtraveler: "7 Spyders, 12 years, 175,500 miles" -- WOW just WOW!!!
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just a thought.
    Thanks
    Greg
    Yes, that would be nice. Also, using a proper description in the heading. But, it's not going to happen, unfortunately.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Concerning the GAS bars you see .... The upper bars will move slower ( down ) than the lower bars do. Not very accurate, and not in a good way ....;. Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    One other tidbit. Automatic shut off does NOT equal a full tank of gas. Many find that an additional gallon can be put in the tank. After auto shutoff, pull the nozzel up to the ring. Slowly put in more gas until it fills to the ring. Stop, let it drain down and repeat. You will not overflow the tank, and will get approx another gallon this way. Now it is full for real. If you start calculating mpg, you need to fill the same way each time, otherwise, you do not have apples and apples.
    ..... and I check this EVERY time I fill-up .... the only variance I get is because off the shape of the Nozzle assembly .... Mine is always between 1.3 & 1.4 gallons. ... I stop filling when the gas level is at the LIP edge ...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see a reasonably good correlation between bars and mileage by figuring in two invisible bars at the top and one at the bottom. That generally equates to about 15 miles per bar. That means I've gone about 45 miles when the top bar disappears, and have about 15 or so miles left when the bottom bar disappears. I was carrying a generator on the passenger seat one time when the gauge was down to the last bar. It would have been too much hassle to take the generator off to fill up so I kept going. When I delivered the generator I had ridden a few miles with no bars showing. After I took the generator off I opened the gas tank and used a stick to measure how much gas was in the tank. There was about 2" left which gave me plenty enough to get to Costco several miles away.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)