Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Will a Ryker 900 Sport run heated Gerbing jacket & gloves?

Will the Ryker charging system support a Gerbing jacket and gloves? Mines a 2022.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2022 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Short answer, probably, but it depends.

Specs on the magneto output are published, but what I have not found is how much power is used by the Ryker itself and how much reserve power is available. The Ryker does have an accessory port fused at 5A, which should be good for 4A (fuse manufacturers advise using fuses at 125% of actual current draw). The Can Am Ryker stereo is listed at 50W, which would be about 4A, and it plugs into the accessory circuit. So the Ryker has at least that amount of reserve capacity. Your gloves and jacket draw about 100W (I looked up a specific Gerber jacket and gloves as an example - you should check the ones you are considering). I run a 120W stereo on mine no problem, but that is the amp's maximum RMS output rating - I don't know what it actually draws (I should measure this). Your jacket and gloves would probably be OK, but you can't wire them to the accessory port without exceeding the rating of the fuse for that circuit.

The "it depends" part means it depends upon what if any other accessories you have and are using. If you haven't already, consider changing your headlight bulbs to LEDs that draw less current - the stock bulbs alone draw 110W. Some LED replacements draw considerably less.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Going to go ahead and hook it up.
    I've replaced my headlights with LED'S and we'll see how it goes.