Spyder Garage

Default What would cause a torn clutch drum? RSS V-Twin SE5

A friend rang me... said she lost drive while ryding uphill at 70kph when it went bang then no drive. Thinking it's the pulley (the bike is 2015 RSS with 105,000 kms) I flatbed it home and start looking.... The engine runs, I selected first (with a click not a clunk) but can still spin the pulley easily (belt off) with no drive.... So I pulled the clutch side and found a torn clutch hub..... I will look further today, but my question is: what do you think caused this.... my thoughts are debris in the gearbox jamming the gears (dont know what else to think...at first I thought a snapped mainshaft but that's ok... Also, how far can I go into the gearbox without removing the engine... I hope to be able to see inside the gearbox after I pull the remains of the hub out, even if I need to buy a scope..... I don't want to replace the clutch (if I can source one) then find the cause is still there..... I was thinking it could also have jammed on the engine side... if the drive gears jammed, then the rear wheel would tear the hub before the centrifugal clutch had time to disengage..... all help gratefully received... TIA...... Russ update..i have now purchased workshop manual
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by merlot; 09-15-2022 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Looks like fatigue failure. Typically if the gearbox on a motorcycle locks up, the clutch does not break like that. Also, if the gearbox did fail, and lock up to break that clutch inner hub, the rider would have immediately felt the sudden stoppage.

My guess is simple metal fatigue over time, ultimately cracking completely around the inner hub.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for reply PMK..... Yes, she felt no stoppage, just no drive. I was able to prove all gears from back wheel to clutch hub centre and all smooth so really relieved, I wasn't looking forward to a gearbox repair. Parts are ordered and should be up and running by mid next week (so happy to have parts available in these times of freight logistics). I told her she needs a t-shirt or badge "I stuffed a Spyder". I thought "metal fatigue" when I saw it but the transmission was always in the back of my mind. I suppose it's the luck of the draw, I have known the 990 to do twice the Kms of this one and she rides fairly sedately... She has had some chatter on takeoff, but tries to warm it up when cold starts, so that may be contributing factor... It might pay V-Twin owners to factor in a hub change during their winter layup if their mileage is getting up there... Its fairly simple with some advice.... Thanks again... Russ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2022 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's %-)
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Clutch chatter can trash an inner and out basket, plus fibre plates.

Very likely the outer basket is stressed also. Downside of those failing is the tab breaks off and destroys a lot as it spins about. Also contaminates the oil with metal particles.

Inner and outer clutch baskets should be replaced. Unless needed for wear or overheating, plates should be ok.
    Last edited by PMK; 09-16-2022 at 07:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

yes...have ordered both inner and outer....real nuisance as i couldnt draw the outer basket without removing the clutch cover...ah well,its better than doing a gearbox
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP

Spyder Garage

Do you think you got all of the debris out? That looks like a lot loose metal could be floating around inside the engine, which could be catastrophic.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

And are we sure she is using a proper "motorcycle wet clutch" type oil in it? If not, this will cause the "chatter" previously mentioned and if left unchecked.... Also, the 990's need to avoid anything with the SL (??) rating in the oil IIRC....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the operator aware that RPM should be maintained at a minimum 3,200? And to always downshift before going below that reading?

I understood this to be the approximate RPM to reach full clutch lock-up, and that excessive cruising with slippage occurring would cause premature clutch wear.

Anyhow, that's how I ran mine, but I only had it for half that many miles...
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl