Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Spyder Service Best Practices List

A list of Shop Best Practices & Services compiled from the postings below. See post #2 for how this works.

1. Should give you a print out of the data from the BUDS on your Spyder.
    2. Should have a trailer service.
    3. Should have a standard to measure your Spyder's performance against.
    Last edited by Tom in NM; 10-23-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added 3 items

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Service Best Practices List

Spyder Service Best Practices List

A significant issue in owning a Spyder are your shop’s practices and services. There have been widely varying accounts of practices, services and the levels of service shops provide based on postings by owners on SpyderLovers.com.

To help determine if you are dealing with a good shop or service department, post what your dealer/shop does that you think is a Best Practice or Service that is important and valuable to you. I will try and keep the first entry of this thread updated with a list compiled from all the postings that are made so a Best Practices & Services List will be in one place, all together, at the thread’s top.

Also post a practice or service you think your dealer should provide – I will start those items with “Should” in bolded blue, until an owner posts that their shop provides that service.

It is my hope that this list will give both current and prospective owners some criteria to base their expectations and evaluate how well a service department is/will meet a Spyder’s service needs based on the forum’s collective experiences. It will also let BRP and those dealers who follow this site know what we think Spyder Shop Best Practices & Services are and what services other shops are providing.

Tom

Some housekeeping stuff . . . .
    • The forum software will automatically put a Last Edited timestamp on the list so you can determine its currency.
    • I will not be including any dealer names in the compiled list even though they may be in your post.
    • If you want to add an item to the list, but do not want to post it, PM me and I will add it.
    • While I may edit and format a posting for the list, I will not exclude, rank or evaluate any entries – the list will be the list, entries will be numbered in the order they were added. The only exception to this are “shoulds” that are totally unrealistic or a joke, they will only be appear in the original post.
    • If you think I have missed or improperly interpreted your entry, PM me and I will fix it.
    • If I cannot figure out what your entry is, sorry, I won’t add it.
    • Try and keep it a shop’s Best Practices & Services, not Spyder Sales Practices, that is a whole other list. However, any post-sales Best Practices & Services for Mods, installs, repairs, training, support etc. would fit here.
    • If there is a cost involved for a service, for example Winterizing & Storage or Trailer Rental and you state it, I will try and maintain a [Low/High] range of the costs submitted – but over time, these numbers will become inaccurate.
    • If you have any explanations, clarifications or comments on an item in the list, post it as you normally would and it will be up to everyone to follow and research the discussion as they would in any other kind of thread for specific details.
    • And, while we all know that Lamont should be cloned and working in every Spyder Shop, that is a given and will not be on the list.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Good idea Tom. Requires some thinking, I will pitch in in the next few days.

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think this is a great idea also .My Spyder goes in for service in a few days ..will give a review.

Spyder Garage

I will put Lamont on my cloning list. Currently working on a younger Pam Anderson clone and that has top priority right now here in the lab.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Default Whatever you do. . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    I will put Lamont on my cloning list. Currently working on a younger Pam Anderson clone and that has top priority right now here in the lab.
    . . . . . don't get those projects mixed up.

OK, here are three shoulds that I think good shops would provide;

Should give you a print out of the data from the BUDS on your Spyder. The data on your riding history, speeds, gears, time, error codes, and so on. I don't know all the information available, but this would help all those riders (like me) that want to learn about how their Spyder performs and how they can get more out of it. I seem to remember reading how BRP Demo Tours has done this for owners who showed up with their Spyders. Having this data would sure give us a whole new level of things to discuss here.

Should have a trailer service. Where you can get it to bring your Spyder in yourself, or where they pick it up for you. I know for towing services, most have that option in their insurance or warranty, but for cases where you cannot or are not comfortable riding the Spyder in.

Should have a standard to measure your Spyder's performance against. Ideally, they should ride Spyders - even if it is just occasionally. It is beyond my understanding how a Spyder can leave a shop with no power steering. As a new rider, you may not realize it is out or not fully working, but they should. I can see how riders like Ron, Evan and the others who have posted here, that got some of the first Spyders and did not have a chance to ride demo units, had nothing to compare it to. But, the people working on your Spyder should know when a Spyder is performing in a usual manner or not - and of course, let you know.

Those are the first three things that came to my mind.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

GREAT IDEA Tom!

David
    David
    McKinney, TX