Spyder Garage

Default Any Thoughts on Carrying Pepper Gel Spray?

I currently have a CC permit here in Minnesota. I have had it for 19 years now. I am thinking of starting to carry Pepper Gel instead of my gun (or both) while riding. My holster is on my right side, same as the throttle. My city has become a war zone since George Floyd. I feel vulnerable when stopped or at an intersection. I am thinking I can spray with my left hand and hitting the throttle if I need to with my right. My hubby and I always rode together, so we had each others back. I am recently widowed and riding is my one joy, but I am anxious now riding by my self. Any thoughts on how to carry the Pepper Gel while riding? Thank you.

Lori
    BabyBlue

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Lori. First of all, sorry for the loss of your hubby. That had to have been hard. Second, very wise to consider something less than lethal force but that can still provide a measure of self defense. In this day and age of prosecutorial activism, even a defensive display of your weapon may get you prosecuted for brandishing. And it's a good idea to have an option between nothing at all, and lethal force - especially if you can't retreat.

I carry a P238 on the right side in a Sneaky Pete, and a Mace Magnum 3 Pepper Gel wherever I feel like. Most of the time, I stick it on the left side belt. It just depends on what I'm wearing that day. The Magnum 3 has a rotating belt clip and a push button guard, so that you could carry it on the left or right side belt, or in a pocket or dash mounted pouch, and the guard can prevent accidental discharges. Your training has taught you to be aware of your surroundings and not be taken by surprise. So, regardless of where you decide to carry it, when you feel vulnerable, position your left hand into a ready position. While sitting on the Spyder, probably no one method of carrying won't feel a little awkward - especially if your jacket is covering the spray can. You'll just want to practice uncovering and "drawing" the pepper gel so that you can develop muscle memory and deploy it in an effective manner while exiting the threat.

Practice, Practice, Practice. You'll be fine...and get some more riding in before it snows.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Doug:
    Thank you for your reply. You nailed it exactly. Something that I can carry that is less than lethal force. I competed in USPSA for many years, but I have always had concerns about someone getting my gun away from me.

I too carry a P238. I am going to look into the Sneaky Pete holster. I really like it's concept.
    I have been looking at Sabre products, but I will look into Magnum3.

What are your thoughts on carry the Pepper Gel on a lanyard?

Lori
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-13-2022 at 08:22 PM. Reason: too
    BabyBlue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Carry your CC defensive weapons in a semi-crossdraw position. Accessible by either hand. Kinda like Hickock. If needed use the pepper spray first to protect yourself and your weapon and as stated above, exit stage left or right to get out of the situation and only use the P238 as a last resort. If on your spyder, always leave room between you and the car in front of you for that escape.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
    Doug:
    Thank you for your reply. You nailed it exactly. Something that I can carry that is less than lethal force. I competed in USPSA for many years, but I have always had concerns about someone getting my gun away from me.

I too carry a P238. I am going to look into the Sneaky Pete holster. I really like it's concept.
    I have been looking at Sabre products, but I will look into Magnum3.

What are your thoughts on carry the Pepper Gel on a lanyard?

Lori
    Quick release lanyard around neck sounds like her best option.....

Spyder Garage

I’m not familiar with pepper spray or guns for that matter. But, I’d like to ask a question. With an object around your neck, and if you get into an accident, and you are thrown from the Spyder and land on your chest, what is the chance of a crushing impact on internal organs; your heart for example. I guess it was my time when working in a hospital that brings out the worst in my thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My cousin is 5ft tall (possibly) and weighs "0" if that, and she's very paranoid about being assaulted. There is a tazer on the market that's made specifically for citizen protection. It's the same that LE uses except it has one additional function. After use, it continues to operate on its own leaving the bad guy laying on the ground doing the funky chicken while the citizen drops the tazer and flees to safety. That's what I advised her to carry for nonlethal protection.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Carry your CC defensive weapons in a semi-crossdraw position. Accessible by either hand. Kinda like Hickock. If needed use the pepper spray first to protect yourself and your weapon and as stated above, exit stage left or right to get out of the situation and only use the P238 as a last resort. If on your spyder, always leave room between you and the car in front of you for that escape.
    The personal tazers I have seen, there are no wires. I want to be able to stop or slow them down at a distance.

I tried a cross draw, but found it to be uncomfortable. I am short and busty.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-14-2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display after merge
    BabyBlue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
    The personal tazers I have seen, there are no wires. I want to be able to stop or slow them down at a distance.
    Take your pick.
    https://www.google.com/search?source...ih=852&dpr=1.1

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have carried it many times.

Spyder Garage

My son-in-law is a trooper in NYS. A few years back he used his taser during an arrest. Long story short, one of the leads came loose and the fight was on. He tried to push the lead back in, but couldn't. Luckily a Sheriff came a long and assisted with the take down. My son-in-law needed surgery on one of his knees b/c he tore a ligament. He was out of work for a few months. I asked if he thanked the Sheriff for the assist, and he said he thanked her.

Spyder Garage

All the above is well and good.

BUT:

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight....

Let the flaming begin!!!
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everyone has an opinion on self defense and what's the best to use. Some will win and some will lose. Whatever you choose, know how to use it or it's worthless. That being said, your best defense weapon is in that thing that sits on top of your shoulders.