Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Took mine in for the inspection phase, told me I was good to go. They did tell me they weren't getting the repair parts until the later part of August, had it done the second week of July (the inspection). Had it done at Johnny K's Powersports in Niles, Ohio.
    Retired Army
    2016 Chevy Silverado
    2016 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 RT Limited , stock White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brp sprocket

.....I Was at my Local Spyder Dealer Saturday. The Story I got was 'NO DATE'. That is all we are being told.
    Call the Number on the recall letter. .................
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I was told don’t expect permanent fix till at least next spring. The lines are all switched over now and all the “parts” that are coming to the warehouses are being stocked and they are trying to fill back up all the bins so that next spring everything will be close to being back to normal. This is all the parts not small ones like the recalls. Therefore, parts could be in stock right now, for basic repairs not involving the recall, but they are saying out of stock till the numbers are back to normal. In doing this, BRP is forcing the Dealers to not stock up on parts so they can get a more accurate count number and availability in the spring for new machines and repairs. Makes sense to me. Heard this at a sled rally, and also at a spyder rally where BRP was from a pretty large dealer that is no where near me. Mine also said the same. My dealer put a small dot on my sprocket and said that if the dot rotates more than 3 degrees which has another dot on the new bolt to bring back in and they will install another pulley.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 09-19-2022 at 09:52 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I do not fully know the procedures and policies concerning recalls within this manufacturer and dealer network.
    But I will try to shed some light on recall procedures in the automotive venue. I am a retired Volvo and Volkswagen dealer. When a recall is initiated, the government becomes involved and the dealer must perform these recalls as outlined in the letter sent to all the effected customers.
    The dealer cannot refuse to do the recall.
    The dealer cannot impose any shop, environmental, or additional charges on the customer.
    The dealer can refuse to perform the recall if there is any evidence that the vehicle has been tampered with or modified in the recall area.
    The dealer does not have any obligation to give a loaner vehicle unless it is outlined in the recall notification letter.

Since the manufacturer has to reimburse the dealer for the recall, they usually make the part cost less and the repair time is usually short of the time needed to perform the work. This is why some dealers try to skate when doing recalls. It costs them money when their technicians cannot perform the recall in the allotted time. Their technicians could be doing more profitable repairs.

When my dealerships performed the recalls we looked at them as opportunities to reconnect with customers who no longer used us. Recalls allowed us to check the vehicles over and possibly find some additional warranty or customer pay repairs. So we treated the customers like gold. Let’s face it the customer is the one who is inconvenienced because of the recall. Also, when customers come in for the recall they always wander up to the showroom and look at the new vehicles. Another opportunity to possibly sell a new or used vehicle.

There were times we had to limit the number of recalls that were scheduled in a day. Too many in one day would hinder getting to other service and warranty work. We would take one or two technicians and have them just do the recalls. This would help the dealer because these technicians would become more proficient and would perform the recall in the allotted time. We never refused warranty or recall work because We were being reimbursed at the customer level hourly rate and the parts were reimbursed at MSRP.

It is disheartening to see so many dealers not looking at these recalls as opportunities and treating the customer in such an unprofessional manner. Please note all I have stated was the situation in the state of New York. Ride Safely.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-22-2022 at 07:31 PM. Reason: policies + ;-)
    2015 F3S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that Tourer. I was a large BMW Motorcycle dealer that BMW also reimbursed parts at MSRP and labor at the shops officially posted labor rate, paid Labor was based on the Flat Rate time. And you are absolutely correct about a good Tech can beat or at least do the job at at the flat rate allocated time. This theoretically removes any reluctance to do warranty work.

Sounds like you had a quality operation.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Something's not adding up to my way of thinking.

Part # 705503239 is the currently available sprocket, according to the BRP parts catalog.
    The catalog shows that 705503239 was used starting in Sept 2020. That means it was not used in 2020 models.
    2014 and 2020+ models apparently do not have a fretting problem.
    The part number changed from 2014 (705501986) to 2015 (705502134) so who knows what changed in the material used?
    According to the BRP parts catalog the *2134 sprocket was used up to Sept 2020.
    If there was a significant difference in the sprocket material from 2014 to 2015 was that the cause of the fretting? If so, why don't we see reports of fretting with the 2020 models and why are they not included in the recall?
    That's why, as I stated in another thread, I'm thinking the output shaft may be the cause of the fretting. But if so, then why don't we see reports of fretting with the 2020+ models since the output shaft part # is the same from 2015 to 2022? Or did they (or Rotax) make a change in the output shaft in 2020 without changing the part #?

My observation has been that quality control over documentation has not been one of BRP's strong points. Maybe one of the reasons they are taking so long to come up with the permanent fix is there have been material or manufacturing changes in the sprocket or output shaft that were not identified by part # changes. Maybe they simply do not know what sprocket material is in the sprocket of every Spyder since 2015 and so have been unable to pinpoint the root cause of the fretting. And if they don't know the root cause, there is no way to define the fix.

All of the above emanates from my years working in quality assurance where I came up with the following mantra; QA-QA-QA -- The Questioning Approach of Quality Assurance leads to the Quintessential Answer!
    Idaho, I hate to put a fly on the ointment, however NOT ALL 2014’s are affected. My 2014 RTS SE6 was built in December of 2013 and IT IS NOT included in the recall. Does that mean that my “sprocket” is identical to those used on the 2013’s? If so, what is the part number for the 2013’s? Don’t quote me, but I believe the recall starts with the 2014’s built AFTER April of 2014 and DOES THIS MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Idaho, I hate to put a fly on the ointment, however NOT ALL 2014’s are affected. My 2014 RTS SE6 was built in December of 2013 and IT IS NOT included in the recall. Does that mean that my “sprocket” is identical to those used on the 2013’s? If so, what is the part number for the 2013’s? Don’t quote me, but I believe the recall starts with the 2014’s built AFTER April of 2014 and DOES THIS MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
    You confuse me. I never said any 2014s were in the recall. The front sprocket part # changed from 2013 to 2014 because of the engine change. It changed again from 2014 to 2015. The current part #, which supersedes the 2014 one, applies to all 2014 to 2022 RTs. It was first used in Sept 2020. The recall notice applies to certain 2015 to 2019 RTs and F3s. What defines "certain" isn't specified. As far as I know if a part is changed mid year the parts catalogs reflect that date. Otherwise I take it the part number, if changed from one year to the next, applies at model year change. According to the BRP parts catalog the only year part # 705501986 was used is 2014. The 2015 part # was used up to Sept 2020. One of my questions is why aren't 2020 models included in the recall since they used the supposedly same sprocket as 2015 to 2019?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You confuse me. I never said any 2014s were in the recall. The front sprocket part # changed from 2013 to 2014 because of the engine change. It changed again from 2014 to 2015. The current part #, which supersedes the 2014 one, applies to all 2014 to 2022 RTs. It was first used in Sept 2020. The recall notice applies to certain 2015 to 2019 RTs and F3s. What defines "certain" isn't specified. As far as I know if a part is changed mid year the parts catalogs reflect that date. Otherwise I take it the part number, if changed from one year to the next, applies at model year change. According to the BRP parts catalog the only year part # 705501986 was used is 2014. The 2015 part # was used up to Sept 2020. One of my questions is why aren't 2020 models included in the recall since they used the supposedly same sprocket as 2015 to 2019?
    My apologies Idaho....when You were talking about the part numbers for the 2014 to 2019, I took that to mean that they all were part of the recall, which of course you did not say. Now with the first part of 2014 not part of the recall but from there on up being part of the recall, was there a part number change DURING 2014 as the latter ‘14’s ARE in the recall? What changed DURING 2014?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All I know is what's in the recall notice, which has not been changed since it was issued back in May. Have some owners here mentioned being in the recall? They very well could be if their sprocket was replaced sometime after 2014 since the replacement sprocket would have been the then current, and now recalled, part #. Based on what I see in, and interpret from, the BRP parts catalog there was no part # change during 2014.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My apologies Idaho....when You were talking about the part numbers for the 2014 to 2019, I took that to mean that they all were part of the recall, which of course you did not say. Now with the first part of 2014 not part of the recall but from there on up being part of the recall, was there a part number change DURING 2014 as the latter ‘14’s ARE in the recall? What changed DURING 2014?
    The recall should be encompassing by part number installed AND possible years / models year production, AND any pulley / sprocket that has been replaced where the affected part number sprocket / pulley has been installed. Also, the recall may affect various part numbers of sprockets / pulleys.

Posts and information indicates the number of machines that fail the initial inspection clearance check is very low. That may or may not be, since the inspection requirement does not require disassembling the parts to allow cleaning, followed by a clearance inspection with no debris limiting movement. Realize the debris particles from the fretting corrosion, are the byproduct and reduces clearances, until enough wear occurs, resulting in extreme wear.

Could it be possible that BRP / Can Am is recording the number or percentage of units found to be worn as a means to have the NHTSA recall rescinded? I am not sure if that is possible.

It will be interesting to see if Can Am does offer up a true solution. I still suspect they will have a difficult time designing a reliable pinch style or clamped replacement. Possibly they will design an exotic multi part sprocket / pulley with an elastomeric damper between the inner and outer portions (bad idea if they do).

Time will tell. No doubt they are likely testing prototypes of ideas, while lawyers are deciding the liability if failures continue, whether inspected items, replacement items or this mythical new part, or even just sucking it up, and telling all owners there is a mandatory clean and relubricate the spline task.

Would almost be comical if they retained the existing design and parts, but modified them by adding two lubrication ports and two lubricant vents, where you simply use a grease gun with proper lubricant to easily lubricate the splines without disassembly (except body panels if needed).

Kind of unrelated, but after reading about Harley Davidson losing their battle regarding proprietary equipment and software that does not allow independent shops (non dealers) to correctly work on these Spyders, plus other BRP products, these sprocket/pulley issues may be a secondary concern. Again, time will tell...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2022 at 01:16 AM. Reason: there - their

Spyder Garage

There wouldn't need to be a part number change if there was only a different delivery/batch of sprockets ccoming from the same supplier/manufacturer/s. It's quite feasible that BRP's sprocket supplier/suppliers &/or manufacturer/s made some change/s in their production processes or materials used that could be clearly identified to a delivery/batch that THEY have initially recorded but BRP didn't need to... well, until the sprocket wear started becoming an issue anyway, resulting in a recall date that's part way thru the production run of MY 2014 model Spyders!

And that also applies at the other end - maybe all those Spyders covered by the recall period scored sprockets out of the same delivery/batch/es, or possibly the effected sprockets were all made using the same production process... duzn' really matta what it was! But whatever it was, both at the beginning and at the end of the Spyders selected for the recall, if there's been no change in their supplier/manufacturers, there's no need for there to have been a part # change; and it's also a pretty feasible thing for there to be some specific batch or delivery identifiers that narrow down the Spyders selected for the recall to fit within the fairly specific but not Manufacturing Year range that they have.

It WOULD be interesting to know what BRP THINKS the problem is/might be, and to eventually get some detail about why they chose whatever specific 'permanent fix' they end up choosing; but I suspect that we're never really gonna get any such info.... that'd be too much like considering that their existing & any potential new customers might even be at least a small part of the reason their Spyder/Ryker products might be an ongoing success or otherwise!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

When I called the dealer, shortly after I received the recall letter, they said they didn't have the part, but not to worry because if it failed, you just wouldn't be able to move as there would be no transmission from the engine to the wheel. WHAT!! So if I am on a trip, and the thing quits, it's ok because it won't move. IDIOTS!!
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Bigbadbrucie: Why do you think the recalls started with late 2014 models. I just reread the recall notice on the BRP site and there is no mention of 2014's being involved in the recall. From the notice:

Which models are involved?
    Certain 2015 to 2019 Can-Am® Spyder RT and F3 vehicles