Spyder Garage

Default 2022 F3S left mirror fell off overnight in the garage

Hey, guys. I just bought a brand new 2022 F3S last month. I've got about 300 miles on the thing and I love it. I last rode the Spyder on Saturday morning and parked it in my garage. It's now Monday afternoon. I went into my garage this afternoon and found the left side mirror had fallen off of the mount and sitting on the garage floor. The mirror was intact on Sunday night (last night). It looks like the plastic mount that sits in the center of the mirror sheared off. The housing/stalk is free of any damage except for the mirror mounting point itself inside the housing. I haven't hit anything, damaged the Spyder, had any accidents, any rough rides, and it hasn't been bumped in my garage unless a fairly large animal got in there and pulled the mirror off without damaging anything else at all. We don't have rats around here and there's no way a racoon or other animal could have gotten into my garage. We've had the occasional mouse and chipmunk but they're tiny. I can't imagine they could make this happen.

I work for a company that does some plastic injection molding. I showed a pic of the mirror to one of our plastic engineers and he suggested that it might be a manufacturing defect. If a mold isn't run at the proper temperature and pressure settings, the resulting shot plastic could be brittle. We had a big temp drop here last night. I wonder if that exacerbated an underlying issue.

Considering that the stalk bends along a pivot point if bumped and the stalk was not disturbed at all, at least that I could tell, I don't think it was bumped. I can't imagine how it could have been bumped during this time either. I spoke with my wife and she was nowhere near the Spyder.

I'm going to bring it to my dealer either tomorrow or Wednesday to see what they say. I definitely want them to be aware of this in case there is a manufacturing issue. It looks like they're about $245 per side. That ain't cheap but I guess it's not the end of the world.

https://www.canamoemparts.com/oempar...ew-mirror-assy
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Spyder Garage

LOL! Oops, sorry for showing my mirth, Jon. Mirror problems are ongoing. After market 'fixes' are available. Having had both mirrors fall of from the shock of failing to miss another of our multitude pot holes, I carry a roll of tape ready to use when they start wobbling too much. Good luck with your problem though as it sounds to me like a new one. Oh! and my service people here at Arundel, Gold Coast (Aust) have been generous with both time and smiles when handling my mirror repairs.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Jonshadow I have a pair of mirrors that came off my 2017 Spyder. They have the directional light built in. They are yours for free if you want them. Just pay shipping.

Al
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-13-2022 at 07:50 AM. Reason: 's's x 2 ;-)
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Install Magic Mirror mounts from Lamonster and problem solved. Had mine for several years and they work flawlessly!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    LOL! Oops, sorry for showing my mirth, Jon. Mirror problems are ongoing. After market 'fixes' are available. Having had both mirrors fall of from the shock of failing to miss another of our multitude pot holes, I carry a roll of tape ready to use when they start wobbling too much. Good luck with your problem though as it sounds to me like a new one. Oh! and my service people here at Arundel, Gold Coast (Aust) have been generous with both time and smiles when handling my mirror repairs.
    Is there a particular type of tape that you recommend? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Al View Post
    Jonshadow I have a pair of mirrors that came off my 2017 Spyder. They have the directional light built in. They are yours for free if you want them. Just pay shipping.

Al
    No, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ColemanJ View Post
    Install Magic Mirror mounts from Lamonster and problem solved. Had mine for several years and they work flawlessly!
    Do they make something for the F3S? I haven't seen that. I haven't heard of any issues at all with the stalk mirrors on the F3 base model and S model. Mine don't wobble or vibrate at all. The right side still feels really solid. Both felt solid until the left fell off mysteriously yesterday.

F3_rh_mirror_off.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-13-2022 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They do not make them for the F3S or F3 base models. The mirrors are mounted in a totally different way.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Not all that unusual for something to just fall off of a vehicle. I parked my old Ford Ranger after work and went inside the house. Came back out the next morning to go to work and the left mirror glass was laying on the ground. It wasn't broken, no damage at all, it just fell off of the mirror. When I got home that afternoon, I cleaned the mirror and mount of any oil or dirt, and put the mirror back on with JB Weld. It stayed on there like that for another 5 years I know of. Sold the truck, so it might still be on there.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Don’t fix it yourself. The dealer will fix it under warranty. Congratulations on your new trike.
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    They do not make them for the F3S or F3 base models. The mirrors are mounted in a totally different way.
    They actually don’t make Magic Mirrors for ANY of the F3 models, blacklighning…..only the pre ‘20 RT

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 09-14-2022 at 01:46 AM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I showed it to my dealer yesterday. They're ordering the part and submitting a warranty request to BRP. They were pretty sure BRP would cover it. I'm waiting on them to get the part in.
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Spyder Garage

Pete, I have a set of these mirror mounts on my 2016 F3 Limited, they work just fine, but they are not made for the F3S. It is my understanding that BRP makes a similar kit.

https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...or-stabilizers
    Last edited by johnv50; 12-16-2022 at 12:13 PM.
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

I would hope they would cover it!! Good luck my friend!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post
    Pete, I have a set of these mirror mounts on my 2016 F3 Limited, they work just fine, but they are not made for the F3S. It is my understanding that BRP makes a similar kit.

https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...or-stabilizers
    Hi John, my comment was in reference to Magic Mirrors which are only made for the pre ‘20 RT. I didn’t want to see someone buying Magic Mirrors thinking they would fit their their F3-L or F3-T following the comment that they don’t make Magic Mirrors for the F3-s or F3 base.

The mirror stabilisers for the F3-L/F3-T and ‘20+ RT that you are referring to are a different story. I don’t believe BRP produce and sell mirror stabilisers, as they supposedly corrected the issue on the ‘20+ RT and F3 Touring models (although experience has shown they didn’t ) . However, Lamonster sells them. That may be who you are thinking of?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I picked up the Magic Mirror kit from Lamonster garage last year and it has performed flawlessly for me as well. And no shake, rattle or roll.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post

I picked up the Magic Mirror kit from Lamonster garage last year and it has performed flawlessly for me as well. And no shake, rattle or roll.
    Yes, but Magic Mirrors are not made for the OP’s F3s, Greg……so they wouldn’t fit.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

The part finally came in back in late November. I already put the Spyder to bed for the winter. I'll try and get the warranty fix done in spring. It sure seems like it is being covered, since the dealer did order the part. It just took forever to get the part.
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post

Back when Magic Mirrors first came out I recall a couple of complaints of mirrors bouncing off. Checking it out further some folks were using the two magnet mounting system as opposed to the three magnets. Lamonster sold both the two and three mount types but when I tried to purchase two magnet system, Lamonster refused to sell them to me saying I had to buy the three mount system or nothing at all. Kinda ticked me off so I bought all the parts online and built my own. They've been working flawlessly for well over 30K miles. With the top OEM attachment, I feel confident that the mirror is unlikely to come off as easily as if were the three mount system. Plus I have a small lanyard attached to the mirror. To do just about anything to your spyder you have to start by removing those darn mirrors and I just hated those darn OEM spring clips.