Spyder Garage

Default Riding in Retirement

2 years ago, I was involuntarily furloughed and with the help of Covid, I slid right into retirement. I have thanked my late husband many times for encouraging me to ride and to ride solo.
    Riding is a wonderful solitary activity and therapeutic on many levels.

I have ridden the northeast states for years and last fall, I decided that I would ride from CT to Ft Worth to see my cousin. I ended up getting there by way of Fargo, N Dakota. I came home via Tallahassee and Tail of the dragon. 6100 solo miles. With careful routing (and including previous rides) my 2019 RT and I have been through 37 states together - all the states east of the Missouri River.

This summer, I rode with my American Legion Riders on the American Legion National Legacy Run from Mobile AL to Milwaukee, round trip for that ride was 3548 miles.

I had thought that I was done with those long rides, but I find myself planning to go cross country next year (8200 miles) with the express purpose of entering all the western states to complete the continental US.

These rides have been fulling a dream I didn't even know I had.

I am admin on a couple online Widow Support groups, and I posted my map for last year's ride asking who was close to the route. I met ladies, stayed the night and rode on - Such a wonderful way to expand my friendships. I will do that again with the cross-country trip. My cousin is already planning to ride a few days with me from Ft Worth to Grand Canyon and on to Salt Lake City, and another friend hopes to ride her bike with me when i am in the Washington area! I can't wait to ride next year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Well said! That's what it's all about.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I'm also retired. Though I haven't made any really long distance rides I do enjoy the freedom of just going for a ride any time the mood strikes me without having to wait for a day off from work.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Way to go. You are in our "hero" book.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like you'll be slide'n right past my driveway. Ride safe.

Spyder Garage

Good for you!
    I'm also retired and have done 2 (mostly) X-country tours in the past 3 years. Haven't reached the Pacific yet but still time. Riding with 1 other each time for 6100 & 6300 miles. 2019 on 2 wheels and 2021 on the RT. It's an excellent way to just forget day-to-day 'stuff' and focus on the task at hand - enjoying the ride and seeing new sights.
    Have a safe & fun trip!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Wow. Thats out and about. Outstanding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If we're home when you come through Salt Lake City we can provide a place to rest up.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, you remind me of ( legendary - Karyl Oules aka Murphy Brown ) a member here who has taken a lot of very long distance trips. ...... Back in 2011 I had planned to go to Spyderfest in Mo. .... however I got sick the day before and on the Day I was to leave it was 38 F and snowing ( I live in Vermont ) so I did the smart thing and canceled that trip ..... I had been conversing with Karyl and She told me She was coming east and planned to go up to Nova Scotia. ... I told Her She was welcome to do a " lay-over " at my house for as long as She wanted ( stayed 5 days ). We had a great time and I showed Her my area of the world with some 100 mi. trips .... We did go up Mt Washington which was a small mountain by Her standards .... Anyway my point is if you are in my area ( Vt. ) I have an open invitation to anyone on this Forum who would like to visit .... Just PM me at least a week before ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-13-2022 at 09:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

In spite of your loss it seems you are still living life to the fullest. Keep riding and give us a ride report next year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Wow, you remind me of ( legendary - Karyl Oules aka Murphy Brown ) a member here who has taken a lot of very long distance trips. ...... Back in 2011 I had planned to go to Spyderfest in Mo. .... however I got sick the day before and on the Day I was to leave it was 38 F and snowing ( I live in Vermont ) so I did the smart thing and canceled that trip ..... I had been conversing with Karyl and She told me She was coming east and planned to go up to Nova Scotia. ... I told Her She was welcome to do a " lay-over " at my house for as long as She wanted ( stayed 5 days ). We had a great time and I showed Her my area of the world with some 100 mi. trips .... We did go up Mt Washington which was a small mountain by Her standards .... Anyway my point is if you are in my area ( Vt. ) I have an open invitation to anyone on this Forum who would like to visit .... Just PM me at least a week before ..... Mike
    Yes, Karyl is the other one in our "hero" book. She visited us in October of 2019 when we did a rally together in Grove OK. She stayed with us a couple days and saw the sights in our area. Linda talked with her on the phone just last week. She is well, and planning on some more rides.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I do like and admire your ambition. I have toured the western U.S. extensively over the last 30+ years. Last month I did a little over 4,100 miles. When you get out this way, I would be happy to provide you with a resting place and give you lots of stories and riding suggestions. And, know that I do have a trailer capable of transporting your bike if you need that kind of help when in my area. Look forward to following your adventure..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Here's another epic trip of the US that we are looking at: https://flytrippers.com/perfect-itin...tates-at-once/
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest