Spyder Garage

Default Front Pulley, Red Dust, and no outside flange! Are there 2 types of pulley?

On my 2018 F3T, i have had the front pulley replaced about a couple of years ago. Is there 2 different types of pulleys? I have taken pics of the the the dealer installed and the original one. The old original had 2 flanges on it, the replaced one does not. Maybe that’s why the belt always goes out past the edge of the rear pulley. Plus the red dust has come back. Still waiting on BRP to send them to the dealer for recall, that’s been around 2 months waiting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-09-2022 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2018 Spyder F3T , Bright White

Spyder Garage

Trying to add pics but cant figure it out.

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Clopez68; 09-09-2022 at 05:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

that is dangerous!!! That pulley lost the outside flange keeper. It looks just like the inside one! Just couple days ago, somebody else posted pics of inside flange fell off, but it was trapped inside flopping around until he found it. They took it off at tack welded back in place.
    don't ride it until you move rear adjusters, to make front pulley have total engagement of belt. This is probably why the outside flange fell off, too much side pressure from belt after your pulley was replaced by dealership.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    that is dangerous!!! That pulley lost the outside flange keeper. It looks just like the inside one! Just couple days ago, somebody else posted pics of inside flange fell off, but it was trapped inside flopping around until he found it. They took it off at tack welded back in place.
    don't ride it until you move rear adjusters, to make front pulley have total engagement of belt. This is probably why the outside flange fell off, too much side pressure from belt after your pulley was replaced by dealership.
    Wiv wot 'e says!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    That would be ME.

Tried to copy the pictures from the post, but seems I'm not smart enough to do that.
    I'll see if I can find them again and attach them here before the editing time limit.

What I saw when I opened up the side panel:
    IMG_7011[1].jpg

Removed the sprocket:
    IMG_7166[1].jpg

Had it welded:
    IMG_7167[1].jpg

Looks like I made it before the deadline.

Last edited by Steve W.; 09-09-2022 at 09:57 PM.
    HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    That would be ME.

Tried to copy the pictures from the post, but seems I'm not smart enough to do that.
    I'll see if I can find them again and attach them here before the editing time limit.
    You'll hafta reload the attachments as 'new attachments' into your post in this thread Steve. If you can put them up anywhere - in the above post or even if you just put them in a new post after this post of mine, I believe I can sort them into the post above as a quote for you; but generally, if you 'quote' a post into another thread, the vBB system won't transfer 'attachments' or 'attached images' but it usually manages 'uploaded images' that are now hosted here, altho even those won't work without 'going advanced' & marking the 'retain attachments' box - or something like that!

But I see you did that already!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-09-2022 at 11:53 PM. Reason: tyhem
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would be ME.

What I saw when I opened up the side panel:
    IMG_7011[1].jpg

Removed the sprocket:
    IMG_7166[1].jpg

Had it welded:
    IMG_7167[1].jpg

Holy s**t! I'd be upset with that!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That would be ME. .
    Good you found this post to report YOUR post. I couldn't find it

Clopez68: did you ( or a dealership)do a rear tire change since front pulley was replaced?? Its been 2 yrs you say, depending on your miles driven. Either when front pulley was replaced OR when a tire change was done, the rear adjusters were improperly adjusted TOO much to put side pressure on that flange to make it pop off. You should have heard some belt squeal from belt rubbing against front pulley. The belt will squeal if it rubs up against the rear pulley, so just assume it would do it on front too. Might even have been a slight burning smell when you would come to a stop while riding with that much pressure.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I know that the rear tire was replaced after the sprocket was replaced but the dealer has no record of the sprocket being replaced. I’m going to have to keep my records to show whats been done with it. Never thought that id have an issue with the dealer on something like that.

Spyder Garage

I find it very hard to believe that the belt would have enough pressure to pop that flange off that hub with out some kind of warning squealing noise! These pulleys were not put together right and must of missed a step, in production in my book.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Well Spyder went into the shop today. Hopefully they will get a new front sprocket in on it and warranty will take care of it. I have my fingers crossed because I have a ride out to Arkansas at the end of the month.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clopez68 View Post
    Well Spyder went into the shop today. Hopefully they will get a new front sprocket in on it and warranty will take care of it. I have my fingers crossed because I have a ride out to Arkansas at the end of the month.
    Good luck getting it back this year.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are the '22 models having the same issue???????

Are the '22 models recommended to be dealer checked?????
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Clopez68
    I would be very interested to know when your dealer receives a new sprocket and gets it installed.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Clopez68
    I would be very interested to know when your dealer receives a new sprocket and gets it installed.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    I’ll keep y’all posted.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-15-2022 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

So if I were to install the original pulley back on the bike, what would be the torque lbs that I need to tighten the bolt? I’m thinking of doing this until I get a call from the dealer for the new replacement.

Spyder Garage

From the original picture shown, the sprocket was put on backwards. From information that I have, the part number should be on the outside. Plus the flanges are different thickness. The thickest goes on the outside.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Are the '22 models having the same issue???????

Are the '22 models recommended to be dealer checked?????
    Apparently Not yet; and

No - not yet anyway!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    From the original picture shown, the sprocket was put on backwards. From information that I have, the part number should be on the outside. Plus the flanges are different thickness. The thickest goes on the outside.
    That was my local dealer that installed it back several years back. I now know.
    Last edited by Clopez68; 09-24-2022 at 08:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    So i had a different dealer install the old but original sprocket and he said that that’s the way they should go. Only because if the flange breaks off, it will not damage the belt, transmission, or any body part.

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-26-2022 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

The side with the part number and MADE IN USA faces out. The other side has an X denoting wrong side.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame