Spyder Garage

Default Screwed the pooch - U0128 Code & Trans Fault - any suggestions?

I accidently put my 2020 Spyder RT in gear while the parking brake was on. Parking brake will not engage and the windshield also doesn't work, they both work off the same fuse (F4). I believe it's a short and can't image it was caused by putting it in gear while the parking brake was on. Took the right side panels off and saw that the parking brake cable was attached to the actuator. Any suggestions?? U0128 fault code is given and also the transmission fault lights up

thank you all for your input and suggestions. I took the spyder to the dealer and in 20 minutes found that the windshield unit was bad and the left handlebar module was shot, both covered under warranty. Will let all know when I get the bike back and on the street. Happy Days are here again.
    Last edited by CBCHIEF; 09-10-2022 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Problem solved

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I put mine in gear all the time with the parking brake on and never a problem. If yo try to open the throttle it will beep at you, but a simple release of the parking brake and off you go.
    I think those problems and you putting it in gear is unrelated.
    I did have the windshield not go up and down after starting it one time, but a simple shut down and restart toook care of that.
    Did you shut it down, wait a few minutes and try again?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

You also might want to unhook the battery for a few minutes and then hook back up and try again.

Some here say to take the pos and neg. cable and touch them together while the battery is unhooked but I don't know about that.
    Maybe @Blueknight911 will chime in on that.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 09-08-2022 at 12:38 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I didn't think it was related either, and I even took the key five miles away (while shopping) and didn't make a difference as was suggested in you tube.
    Thanks for your input.

Spyder Garage

Not finding that code in spyder codes app? Also Pbrake-windshield, what about horn? Also doubt brake with gear caused short, good check fuses & if actuator bound/restricted some way. Believe can manually release at caliper with #14 wrench. Caution have something else holding bike in place & not adjust brake arm too far.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 09-08-2022 at 02:09 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

U0128 TCM BOSCH Lost communication with WPM/EPB (lost of CAN ID’s) Missing CAN ID 460h from WPM/EPB. Module internal error. Damaged circuit wires or damaged module pins.

I have left mine in gear more than once and all it will do is beep and not move until released.

Take it in for warranty work .
    Last edited by trikermutha; 09-08-2022 at 02:32 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're having CANbus problems. The functions you attempted to perform are on the left handlebar module which communicates with the remainder of the electronics via CANbus. You may have a failed left handlebar module. Any recent wet weather or high pressure washing?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    You also might want to unhook the battery for a few minutes and then hook back up and try again.

Some here say to take the pos and neg. cable and touch them together while the battery is unhooked but I don't know about that.
    Maybe @Blueknight911 will chime in on that.
    .... I learned this from other members I consider a lot smarter THAN ME .... So Yes ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-08-2022 at 08:26 PM. Reason: thAN...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think it might be the WPM crapped out. It's the parking brake/windshield module. Don't ask me why two distinctly different functions are controlled inside one module, but they are.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I think it might be the WPM crapped out. It's the parking brake/windshield module. Don't ask me why two distinctly different functions are controlled inside one module, but they are.

There is absolutely NO NEED to have a a module controlling these functions. It's another example of useless over engineering, feeling a need to over complicate something simple and create a failure point that BRP figure they can generate an income point. ALL you need is a motor, a set of relays and a few momentary contact switches for EoT (end of travel) sensing. The automotive world has been doing it for a 100 years now.

KISS method: Keep It Super Simple

Tim
    Last edited by MrMagicFingers; 09-09-2022 at 06:37 AM.
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post

There is absolutely NO NEED to have a a module controlling these functions.
    The downside of what you suggest is there would be a lot more wires of heavier gauge needed to carry full voltages and amps. Software can replace relays for less money. The connection from the left hand switch module is only two small wires carrying digital signals to all the other modules. In the end the use of digital electronics is cheaper and more reliable overall. For example, there have been far fewer issues with the WPM than with the microswitch on the brake pulley. And more breakages of the windshield arms than problems with the WPM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Could very well be! That's what happened to me when my parking brake would not release... no other symptoms or unusual actions were involved. I don't know what the code was, but that's what the techie found, and the module had to be replaced.

As to the single controller for two motors... wouldn't that be less expensive than two modules?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

U0128.jpg

And PLEASE leave the pooch out of this!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    As to the single controller for two motors... wouldn't that be less expensive than two modules?
    Well, the motors do function much the same, forward, backward, forward, etc., so maybe the control logic is the same. Makes sense to me now.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

thanks for the input, took it to the dealer and in no time he found that the windshield module was shot and the left handle bar module was bad, covered under warranty.: lap: