Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Worked on my 2022 RT bought spring on Amazon ----THANK YOU

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    The driver seat strut weakens over time and on my 2020 would not stay up making filling the gas tank harder. I ordered a different strut from McMaster Carr that is stronger. Works well except the strut being longer the seat arm catches the side body plastic. Doesn't hurt anything, but I don't like it.
    When my wife's 2021 seat started to not always stay up I looked for a different solution. I found a spring at Ace Hardware that works great giving the stock strut the needed help to stay up.
    I tried to put the spring on, but it doesn't work when I put the rear seat on. Is the spring supposed to go all the way down? And stick up past the shock body?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2023 at 07:34 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Took mine to the dealer, they took care of it, no cost..Only inconvenienced with two trips and a lot of wasted time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Took mine to the dealer, they took care of it, no cost..Only inconvenienced with two trips and a lot of wasted time.
    Thats why with minor things I just do it myself and eat the cost. Most times I come out cheaper that way.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Totally agree. Had I known the solution.....You know how it goes.

Spyder Garage

Worked great! Thank you!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderryder53 View Post
    The driver seat strut weakens over time and on my 2020 would not stay up making filling the gas tank harder. I ordered a different strut from McMaster Carr that is stronger. Works well except the strut being longer the seat arm catches the side body plastic. Doesn't hurt anything, but I don't like it.
    When my wife's 2021 seat started to not always stay up I looked for a different solution. I found a spring at Ace Hardware that works great giving the stock strut the needed help to stay up.
    I tried to put the spring on but it doesn't work when I put the rear seat on.is the spring supposed to go all the way down? And stick up past the shock body?
    The post you quoted says 2020+ and your Spyder is a 2014. I have seen other threads regarding the issue for your year in the forum.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2023 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I got the spring from Amazon and tried it tonight. I have a 2022 RT Limited. The spring slid all the way down the cylinder and was flush with the top of the cylinder. It won't do anything like that and it was getting dark so I quit for today. what is different or what did I do wrong? How far above the strut body should the spring be?

Willie

Spyder Garage

I would give Mcmaster Carr a call and tell them what you have and see what they can help you with...

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=8aa4a...IuY29tLw&ntb=1
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Link... ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Willie View Post
    I got the spring from Amazon and tried it tonight. I have a 2022 RT Limited. The spring slid all the way down the cylinder and was flush with the top of the cylinder. It won't do anything like that and it was getting dark so I quit for today. what is different or what did I do wrong? How far above the strut body should the spring be?

Willie
    This is an update to my previous post (see above).
    My strut on my 2022 RT Limited worked fine until I installed a bead rider seat and after reading this thread, I decided to try the spring solution. When I installed the spring, it slid all the way down the strut and the top of the spring was flush with the strut. I compressed that spring and pushed the second spring on to the strut. I put it all back together and it has worked fine since. We are leaving in about three weeks for an extended trip. That will be a good test to see if it works.

Willie
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2023 at 07:33 PM. Reason: 'this post' not thread; & fixed quote display...;-)

Spyder Garage

For those who have done the spring solution:

Is there a trick to getting it to fit over the eyelet at the top of the shaft? I bought the exact spring, but the ID is too small to fit over the eyelet at the seat end.

Also tried compressing the spring with zip ties, removing the eyelet, and screwing on, but it appears the spring interferes with the nub.

Any tips would be appreciated before I try anything more drastic.
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Spyder Garage

I have a 22 RTL and the spring fit over it. Make sure you have the correct spring and check the measurements. I think the ID of the spring is 7/8".

Spyder Garage

I have the comfort seat and I installed the spring like the OP did and it worked great. I ordered mine from the Amazon link that some one posted on this thread. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RG80Y2...roduct_details
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newdave View Post
    For those who have done the spring solution:

Is there a trick to getting it to fit over the eyelet at the top of the shaft? I bought the exact spring, but the ID is too small to fit over the eyelet at the seat end.

Also tried compressing the spring with zip ties, removing the eyelet, and screwing on, but it appears the spring interferes with the nub.

Any tips would be appreciated before I try anything more drastic.
    The eyelet will unscrew from the shaft if you need it too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Willie View Post
    I have a 22 RTL and the spring fit over it. Make sure you have the correct spring and check the measurements. I think the ID of the spring is 7/8".
    The ID of the spring is exactly 7/8", but the "corners" of the eyelet exceed this. I ground the corners down a bit and was able to fit the spring, but it is again too small to fit over the gas cylinder.

After seeing how it interferes with the seat mount, I will be seeking an alternative solution. The prop rod idea is look better all the time
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yes, prop rod is a good idea. Prop seat. fuel up, what could be easier? This spring idea seems like overthinking, like what could go wrong?

Spyder Garage

Was there a recall or service bulletin ever put out on the seat strut on a 2020 RTL I had my spyder in for the recall on the brake switch and my caliper leaking while there I had them open a case on the seat strut they said the seat strut was denied has anyone else run in to this problem they know it was a problem with bad parts but some seems to approved other don't. Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Oh yes, prop rod is a good idea. Prop seat. fuel up, what could be easier? This spring idea seems like overthinking, like what could go wrong?
    I made a prop rod for my 14 RT it lays down next to the backbone of the main frame . .... Because the gas strut is removed I can lift the seat 3 to4 times as high which gives great access to the brake reservoirs ..... I have pics in an Album .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-09-2023 at 09:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    Was there a recall or service bulletin ever put out on the seat strut on a 2020 RTL I had my spyder in for the recall on the brake switch and my caliper leaking while there I had them open a case on the seat strut they said the seat strut was denied has anyone else run in to this problem they know it was a problem with bad parts but some seems to approved other don't. Thanks
    Not as far as I know. It is a known problem along with the trunk strut being weak.

I didn't try to get them to fix mine as it would have cost me more in time and money than me just eating the cost.

Plus, why get another one just like it? It will fail also as they are/were still using the same strut.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Plus, why get another one just like it? It will fail also as they are/were still using the same strut.
    Exactly!
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

There is a groove in the strut body that the spring snaps into. As you say remove the top screw and slide the spring down until it locks into place.
    I cannot get the spring to slide over the body of the strut. My strut is OEM.I double checked and I have the correct spring. I have used as much force as possible with the strut in place.
    Any ideas?
    2021 Grey RT Limited, Dark Edition; Baja Ron sway bar; Spyder Pops front fender and mirror pod LED turn signals

Spyder Garage

This is a long thread, and I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if my comments have already been made.

I'm having a similar issue with my seat strut.
    I had the same problem with my trunk lid and the helper spring is an inexpensive and very successful repair.
    I tried the helper spring on my seat strut, but the spring was hitting the bodywork by the seat.
    I took the spring off before I damaged anything.
    I'll either learn to live with the issue (most likely case) or I'll have to spring (pun intended) for the bigger bucks and buy a new strut.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    This is a long thread, and I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if my comments have already been made.

I'm having a similar issue with my seat strut.
    I had the same problem with my trunk lid and the helper spring is an inexpensive and very successful repair.
    I tried the helper spring on my seat strut, but the spring was hitting the bodywork by the seat.
    I took the spring off before I damaged anything.
    I'll either learn to live with the issue (most likely case) or I'll have to spring (pun intended) for the bigger bucks and buy a new strut.
    Three, I would give serious consideration to simply removing the top bolt of your strut, cable tying it out of the way for refit, and keeping something like an old 6” long T-hex driver in your glovebox. It is so easy to stop for fuel, whip out the hex driver and slot it under the seat. It’s a cost free option which gives you more space under the seat to fuel up as a bonus

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    I was just into the dealer this past Saturday getting the brake light switch recall done. I ask about the seat strut. Was told again it is not covered under warranty. I have a 2020 RT.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

I just tried the spring on the strut thing. Not quite sure how to push the spring, align top of strut, move the seat and then screw it in. It looks like the spring will rub on a body part. Also, it looks weird how the spring would fit up against the strut holder.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6