Spyder Garage

Default Three wheeling in the snow......

Who says you can't ride a three wheeler in the snow?

259078925_10215215770626356_2213417254324214112_n.jpg
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

The "going" is not too bad. You get over three inches and the spyder will "plow" the snow, most likely causing you to lose traction with the rear wheel.

The "stopping" is the hard part. Get on glare ice and it can be dangerous. We used to call those folks "ditch divers" in Alaska. Amazing how many four wheel drive vehicles were in the ditch every time we had a snow or ice event.

I used to make a joke about the 4 wheel drivers. They would sing "I am invincible, I have a four wheel drive," and then they would call for the tow truck or worse.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The "going" is not too bad. You get over three inches and the spyder will "plow" the snow, most likely causing you to lose traction with the rear wheel.

The "stopping" is the hard part. Get on glare ice and it can be dangerous. We used to call those folks "ditch divers" in Alaska. Amazing how many four wheel drive vehicles were in the ditch every time we had a snow or ice event.

I used to make a joke about the 4 wheel drivers. They would sing "I am invincible, I have a four wheel drive," and then they would call for the tow truck or worse.
    110% .... I was an LEO " in the land of snow & ice " and there were Always far more " Four wheel drive " vehicles in the ditch than two wheel drive models ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

Shift into four wheel drive lets get stuck farther from help.
    Low range lets you get stuck even farther.
    Of course our definition of being stuck was you walked away and left the keys in it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    110% .... I was an LEO " in the land of snow & ice " and there were Always far more " Four wheel drive " vehicles in the ditch than two wheel drive models ....... Mike
    I worked in our Ozzie snowfields for some years, where the surrounding towns all had Chain Hire Outlets, cos in Oz it's a requirement for all vehicles to carry chains that fit their tires up there, and for the driver to be able to fit them when directed by signage... . Reasonable requirement you'd think; and in those stores there's plenty of notification about where there's gonna be signs & Chain Fitting Bays, and even current advice warning people of how high up the mountains they'll hafta go before they'll be likely to even see any snow!

But I'd always be entertained by the number of people who'd hire AND THEN IMMEDIATELY FIT their newly hired chains before they'd leave the town, driving off on the bone dry roads with them fitted & determinedly aiming to reach the snow with their chains on..... snow that'd usually be over an hour's drive from the Hire shop! Yet every day, there'd be someone clattering their way outta every town...... and it'd usually be one of those fully kitted out shiny chrome covered 4WD's with the big lift, racks & antennae all over, big wheels, & at least one massive (& obviously unused) winch to go along with all the other 'necessary' 4WD accessories hanging off it that the real 4WD'ers would laugh at - all gear that'd never been used of course, but they'd bolt on a coupla tonnes of gear & 4WD farkles just to show their buddies back in the city how far they'd be able to go when they got to the snow, but had so obviously never got to use... & with a skill level that saw them fitting chains and driving on them an hour from the snow, probably never would!!

Just recently drove thru the Snowies during our snow season again and they're still doing it! (btw, good year for snow in Oz this year, best depth & coverage in a decade. Nothing like it was back when I worked there tho - of course! ) So the local towies, tire shops, & vehicle repairers still make a killing from these types every snow season; the local clubs & pubs usually run a book on how many there'll be who leave town with their chains fitted every day, & another book on the furtherest they'll reach - a lot of beer gets drunk & money changes hands on those; and yep, I saw that there's still the movable markers placed out along the roads just to show the greatest distance that's been reached by one of these bunnies this year!

It's often the little things in life, isn't it?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2022 at 05:07 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!