Spyder Garage

Default Anyone doing DESS disabling in Missouri Kansas City area?

A week and a half on (new to me) 2014 RT and DESS error. Anyone know of someone in Kansas City Missouri/Kansas area that can disable the DESS system?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2022 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderc9 View Post
    A week and a half on (new to me) 2014 RT and DESS error. Anyone know of someone in Kansas City Missouri/Kansas area that can disable the DESS system?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4kaAfjTODE this is for your info before you proceed with disabling.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4kaAfjTODE this is for your info before you proceed with disabling.
    Advantage Powersports is not able to do this according to Robert in service dept.He spoke with their lead tech and he stated you can re-code your key( Whaaat?)

Reno powersports states that they have done approx 4 DESS repairs on 2014ish RT's with a repair of the antenna for DESS(not sure what that means). He states that its 2hrs labor at 134$ an hour plus the tax, antenna,shop supplies. He's emailing me in 2 hrs with a better estimate.

I'm hoping for your sake that there's someone locally with a Megatech license( think that's what's required) to help you out. I also have a 2014 RTS and look forward to this inquiry as I'm 3 hours away from you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L

Hi Deanna,

It happened again I've replaced the DESS module years ago after the original failed. Recently I had 2 DESS moments ( at the same gas station??) and I'm leaving for a weeks long vacation on the Spyder. Any thoughts???

Has anyone with a newer DESS had a failure???

Lew L
    HI Lew,

Here are my thoughts/ suggestions:

Have you tried Turning the ignition switch ON/OFF immediately and DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM SHUT DOWN for 4 to 5 cycles?

Have you tried taking both keys with you and walking away ( about 50 to 60 feet) and waiting about 1/2 hour?

Also, Do you carry/or attach any other keys( house, car) to your spyder key ring?

If you do, have other keys( house, car, etc) that are attached to your spyder key ring, remove them.

Are there any other cell phones or magnetic cards( credit cards, ATM etc.) placed near the ignition switch?

If there are any cell phones or magnetic cards placed near the ignition switch, that could cause the D.E.S.S error.

BRP has had cases where a cell phone, or magnetic card, placed near the ignition switch which could cause this. BRP also said "any other devices that may emit some type of frequency could cause the D.E.S.S error."

Also, anything that is electronic will interfere with the ignition switch, antenna, or D.E.S.S.

Also, this is per the ROADSTER 2014-015 D.E.S.S Error Displayed in Cluster_ 000104494_TST61Y014S10_en
    Problem: Intermittently, the ignition key may not be recognized causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S. ERROR message will be displayed in the cluster.

Solution: Replace the D.E.S.S module. Program the keys using B.U.D.S.

Technical Explanation: When the D.E.S.S module sends its signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is too strong and the key chip is saturated. This saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S. module causing bad lecture of the key chip.

All of the above is in the D.E.S.S Key Code AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! thread, that I started:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions on the above?

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2022 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display & link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or Try a New DESS Module and or Antenna.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2022 at 12:20 PM. Reason: DESS

Spyder Garage

Spyder9c,

Look for the D.E.S.S Key Code Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thread that I started on 8/13/2015 that has a lot of excellent info until you find someone who can disable the D.E.S.S system on your new (to you) 2014 Spyder.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have a 2014 RTS SE6 Spyder. Since I posted/started the D.E.S.S Key Code Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thread, I have not had the D.E.S.S error show up. My Spyder now totals 30,330 miles.

Good luck!

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2022 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added link

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Not in KC area but Lamonster Garage in Nixa, MO can disable it. I did not have any issues on my 2020 RTL but I had his shop disable it anyway.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2022 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Removed errant periods '.' ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...highlight=DESS

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    A number of folks have expressed desire to have DESS disabled but are not near a dealer or shop willing and capable of doing the task.

As in years past, I will have my BUDS system with me during our annual bike trip and willing to meet up with other Spyder owners that wish to have this done.

This year we will be traveling through the following states: TX, OK, KS, IA, SD, ND, WI, MI, IN, KY, TN and northern LA. If you are in one of those states and interested in meeting up and having your DESS turned OFF, it only takes a few minutes. Reach out to me via PM or email me at jcthorne@thornolis.com and I will let you know when and where we will be in your state.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2022 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Added link to thread - copied browser address line instead of page ;-)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to everyone

I’m going with a new DESS and antenna for now. Back in the wind Saturday. Next time it will be the trailer to Lamonster.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-09-2022 at 04:18 PM. Reason: tine - time ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try the module first and see what happens. It maybe only that at this time. Antenna is a bit more involved removing. But you want to do both that’s your choice.

Good luck