Spyder Garage

Default First "Long" ride upcoming - Las Vegas to Reno

I know 500 miles is nothing to most - but this will be the first "long" trip on our Spyder for the wife and I.
    Looking forward to a leisurely trip along the "Loneliest Highway in America" atop three wheels. And seeing Reno, Tahoe and Virginia City from a different perspective.

Wish us luck.
    The 1000 miles round trip will put us right on point for our first scheduled service upon return.

Ill post some pictures along the way.
    2021 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up. Keep us posted. Looking forward to the pics.

And...I am now thinking that 300 miles one way is a long Spyder ride. It sucks being old...but...it beats the alternative.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you plan to break up that 500 miles into at least two or more days of riding in each direction. Good luck.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I hope you plan to break up that 500 miles into at least two or more days of riding in each direction. Good luck.
    Las Vegas to Tonopah - 220 miles - staying at the "haunted" Hotel Miz Pah. Then 230 into Reno and the Silver Legacy.
    Then the reverse coming home. In the car; Ill run 600 mile days all day - not quite willing to go like that yet on the Spyder. Especially when we are going solely for fun.

So short day mileage and sight seeing on the way - including candy stores, ghost towns, Area 51 and anything else that catches our fancy and provides a leg stretch - potty break opportunity.
    2021 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I routinely make the trip from Carson City to Las Vegas.
    It can be interesting and challenging depending on the weather.
    Schedule your gas stops. Have a good time site seeing.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I routinely make the trip from Carson City to Las Vegas.
    It can be interesting and challenging depending on the weather.
    Schedule your gas stops. Have a good time site seeing.

Yeah, my car has a lot more range than our Spyder; so Ill get gas when opportunities present - and stretch and eat candy bars and grab a water as well.
    2021 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a good "first trip". 250 miles a day over 4 days should be comfortable and give you some experience on how to approach longer rides.

Spyder Garage

We went on a 17,000 Km road trip across Canada using our Spyder this year, almost two months on the road. Had a sheepskin, and the memory foam cushions along to change the seating. Got to Nova Scotia, went to a craft show and a fellow was selling sheepskins. Discussed the differences between the standard every day sheepskin and the medical grade sheepskin, significant difference. Bought a medical grade sheepskin from the gent - was less expensive than the standard grade, and used it on the trip back. Made a huge difference, never used the standard grade sheepskin again.

Changing up what you sit on can make a huge difference.

Good luck on your trip.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDan View Post
    Las Vegas to Tonopah - 220 miles - staying at the "haunted" Hotel Miz Pah. Then 230 into Reno and the Silver Legacy.
    Then the reverse coming home. In the car; Ill run 600 mile days all day - not quite willing to go like that yet on the Spyder. Especially when we are going solely for fun.

So short day mileage and sight seeing on the way - including candy stores, ghost towns, Area 51 and anything else that catches our fancy and provides a leg stretch - potty break opportunity.

Dan, What time of the year are going? If/when I take the same trip from Pahrump, I will probably go over to 395 and up that way cus it is a not so boring drive. Good luck and enjoy yourselves.

Bob
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Dan, What time of the year are going? If/when I take the same trip from Pahrump, I will probably go over to 395 and up that way cus it is a not so boring drive. Good luck and enjoy yourselves.

Bob
    Will be in Pahrump for Fall Festival on Saturday the 24th for the carnival and rodeo (visit my mom and drag my kids and grandkids out to play) - and then on Sunday we head up to Tonopah. I was going up 95 as I have made that trip numerous times and more familiar with services (and candy store in Beatty) - but going thru Rachel and visiting the Lil Ale Inn might be fun too.
    I think the mileage addition to pop over to 395 might add just enough to make it too long and I already have my reservations in Tonopah. Tho I do love the drive that way to Mt Whitney and Lone Pine.
    Last edited by VegasDan; 09-07-2022 at 11:17 AM.
    2021 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Take plenty of water with you. Will be 100 degrees in Reno and probably hotter on Hwy 50! Stay cool and have a safe trip.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    Take plenty of water with you. Will be 100 degrees in Reno and probably hotter on Hwy 50! Stay cool and have a safe trip.
    Actually if the weatherman is to be believed - highs of 80's in Reno; but we are from Las Vegas - so our big stainless water jug will be filled with water and ice riding in the frunk.
    I also finally bought our individual drink holders and am mounting them for our travels.
    AND mounting our rear trunk luggage rack that just arrived - $165 online (found open box deal on Amazon for $35.).
    Or I might just wake up in the morning and decide a ride is more fun than working.
    2021 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Dan, Are you going to pull a trailer?

Bob
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Dan, Are you going to pull a trailer?

Bob
    I don't own a trailer for the Spyder and honestly - Im not a big fan of pulling trailers even with a car or truck.
    And full disclosure - I cannot back up a trailer to save my life.
    Our trip will require very little packing and will well fit within the limits of the Spyder
    Last edited by VegasDan; 09-14-2022 at 11:55 PM.
    2021 RT Limited