Spyder Garage

Unhappy Replaced brake rod, now need to bleed - any ideas why?

2022 Spyder F 3
    I just replaced the brake rod to allow moving my foot position from #3 to #4. Now it takes two pumps on the pedal to get good feeling pedal. Any idea why that happened ? I am getting ready to bleed the brakes but WTF never expected this to cause a need for bleeding.

Rich
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-03-2022 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask a question ;-)

Spyder Garage

I don’t know enough about brakes to help with possible causes, but I have never experienced (or heard of) this in 6 years after changing a brake rod, Rich. After all, you are simply moving the sealed unit a couple of inches. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be along shortly

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Yea that's my thinking and why I posted what happened. I'm not that bad a mechanic and ao it left me in a quandary

Spyder Garage

I got nothing. When I swapped out the brake rod on my 2017 F3 I moved the pedal. The slave cyl remained in place and didn't move at all. Must have changed them I guess.

I guess I would check the level in the reservoir and bleed the system. Then monitor it.

Spyder Garage

So, what you're saying is when you are coming to a stop, and you put your foot on the brake and push you have to do it twice to get a good firm peddle?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yes that's exactly what happens. I've been a wrench my whole life and it's got me wondering if I'm suffering from some kind of brain cloud and can't see what the cause is. LOL I moved a foot peg and added a longer rod and now I need to bleed the brakes..............................as I said before WTF.

Spyder Garage

So Rich, you disconnected the rear of the rod then then the front - which is really the only way you can do it right? Then reverse with the new rod... So here's a guess = when you attached the new rod, it got pulled and introduced air, so it follows that bleeding is the fix.
    Keep posted and safe travels!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-04-2022 at 03:30 PM. Reason: atteched
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2022 Spyder F3 Special Edition
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Interesting. I changed my brake rod three times and never experienced this issue. Are you using an OEM rod or Lamonster after market rod? Pegs or floor boards?
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

OEM rod and floor boards. It's been 123 * F ( real hot spell in N California) in my shop so I've put off messing about with the motorbike but think that the suggestion that i might have given the master-cylinder a tug when installing the rod has me think that this may be my cause. As soon as it cools down I'll give the system a bleed and see how that works. Not the floorboards there is no clearance issue at all and nothing rubbing.

Thanks for the input it all helped as I was at a loss as to what went amiss.

Spyder Garage

I reckon you may be right to may have given the rod a tug on install, and that has caused your problem.

I dont think it matters what bar you fitted. Its just a rod with fittings on the end.

I made my own. Not really a good welder but managed to get it to stick. haha

bar 2 1 20220524_084136.jpg bar 1 2 20220524_084110.jpg

Please let us know how you got on.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 09-05-2022 at 12:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

As I started the thread I think it is important to be the one to come clean when it was my mistake that was at the heart of the problem.

I had not only been installing the longer "BRAKE ROD" I was also mounting the extra brake light system. I include this in my confession because to make the install of the lights cleaner I removed the wheels (I mean how hard can R & Ring wheels be ?) so I could get to the wire run easier.

As I reassembled the bike I checked in the Giant Workshop Manual from CanAm and made sure all my torque's were correct. I even went so far as to check the wheel torque. Here is where I fell short. I must have misread the value and only torqued the wheels to 48 '#'s. The actual torque is +- 80. I put the whole wrenched mess back together and found the brake peddle required a few strokes to get a hard peddle. After getting in-put from all of you I went back and checked all the assemblies and decided to take a quick ride to check my work. Low and behold the brakes still were bad and I also had a wee shake in the steering.

So here is where I admit to being over confident because of all my years as a mechanic. I pass this along because I've learned that most often we learn more from mistakes than any-other way. The clue was in the front end shake ! I took the bike back to the shop re-checked everything, pulled the wheels and looked over the light install and reassembled the front. When I looked up wheel torque I re-checked the torque wrench and it was way off (almost by half) I had mis-read the number somehow. I tightened the nuts to spec and header out to check for a front end shimmy.......................GONE ! Not only was the shaking gone but I now had full peddle and good brakes.

I thank everyone who helped with advise and I pass along my foolish error in the hope that it may guide someone else to avoid the same kind of stupid error. I always double check everything and all things that get torques. The torque spec that I first used did not seem to be unreasonable and in many cases it wasn't but unreasonable or not it was WRONG. This was a reminder that reading the book and double checking my work is at the top of the doing it right list. I pass it along because thought I knew what I was doing and didn't.

Cheers

Spyder Garage

Ha. You are aware your the first Bloke ever to not quite get something correct 100% of the time when wrenching.

Thanks for reporting back.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Rich……yeah, we have all done something similar…….except ME, of course ….. thanks for letting us know.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thought I'd mention my misstep if no other reason other than that's a lot of torque for a wheel stud so when I first thought it through I rejected that as a possibility. Would be an easy mistake to make so Passing it on seemed like the right thing to do. I can stand to admit to one error in my life