Spyder Garage

Default 2022 Sea to Sky Transmission Fault

I picked up my new sea to sky a couple of weeks ago and only have about 250 miles on it.

I’m having a problem with the transmission not shifting. I thought it was because I did not put it into neutral when I parked it. I thought I read somewhere that whatever gear you have a bike in when you stop it, which should be first gear, it will automatically shift itself to neutral when you turn it off. Maybe I thought I read it.

Sometimes the bike will simply not shift out of first gear. Then it will shift and run perfectly for an extended period of time. I did get a orange banner on the screen saying “transmission fault” one of the times.

Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

It should stay in first gear when you are stopped and turn the key off. It should be in first gear when you turn the key on. It should automatically shift to neutral when you start it. I haven’t experienced a transmission fault warning. You may want the dealer to take a look at it.
    2021 Sea to Sky

Mods: Pedal Commander, RLS Black Ceramic Coated Cat Delete, Passenger Armrests, Driver Backrest, FOBO TPMS, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Foam Handgrips

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSTS View Post
    It should stay in first gear when you are stopped and turn the key off. It should be in first gear when you turn the key on. It should automatically shift to neutral when you start it. I haven’t experienced a transmission fault warning. You may want the dealer to take a look at it.
    .... this is how it's supposed to work ( ideally ) however if the battery is weak ( I know it's new and not supposed to be weak ) It may not shift into NEUTRAL ..... I have had this happen to me. I have had many folks here tell me it's not possible for this to occur .... I ALWAYS put the Spyder in Neutral before shutting it off and removing the Key .... I no longer have Starting issues .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I do as Mike suggests. Mainly because then the bike will start without putting your foot on the brake. But in any case that machine is brand new. Go get it fixed under warranty.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

This is interesting to me because it is similar to the behavior on my 2022 Sea to Sky. The way my transmission behaves it will shift from 1st to 2nd, never a problem. Sometimes it will shift flawlessly from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes I need to hit the up shift 4 or 5 times before it will shift to 3rd. All other shifts are fine. When slowing to a stop sometimes the auto shift down to 1st is fine and sometimes it will sort of hover partially in 1st and partially in 2nd but evenutally goes to 1st and the dash indicator shows 1st gear. Bike has 500 miles on it. I have owned several prior SE6 Spyders. Took bike to dealer and haven't seen it for 4 weeks. Not happy.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It appears that quite a few newer model Spyders are being delivered with defective Paddle shifter controls .... BRP has them back-ordered for months now ..... get a BUDS check done .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Friends 2021 did very odd transmission shift stuff issues. Nothing had failed or broke, but did require the electronic control module to be reflashed. Been fine since.

Under warranty, that is a simple to accomplish and no parts required task.
    While it certainly could be a mechanical issue, and has some focus at third gear while shifting with the paddle, but the other times it has issues, you made it sound as if they were auto downshift issues or start issues. They would lean me away from the paddle shifter, and more towards gear position sensor, or flashing the electronics.

If it were a paddle shifter concern, it would effect all gear selections in a similar way.
    Last edited by PMK; 09-04-2022 at 09:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

In other words, if you're having a problem with this GO GET IT CHECKED OUT, that's why they call it a warranty!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have a 2022 RT with shift issues. My issues occur with getting from Neutral to 1st. I actually got stuck at the Canadian boarder (with a line of cars behind me) because by RT would not shift out of Neutral. While stuck, I shut the RT off and it seemed to reset, not sure but I got it going. My dealer has since replaced my shifting control but I still intermittently get the problem. I have shut off the ECO mode in a clueless attempt to fix.
    I am sick that I paid close to $30K for a bike I do not trust.
    Going back to the Dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It appears that quite a few newer model Spyders are being delivered with defective Paddle shifter controls .... BRP has them back-ordered for months now ..... get a BUDS check done .... good luck .... Mike
    Lord I'm hoping that doesn't crop up on me again. I waited nine months for my new paddle shifter to come in last time.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited