Spyder Garage

Default Time for another brake fluid flush

This time I Decided to use Speed bleeders. I've had them on all my bikes for years so about time I put them on the 15 RT. This is a write up on that adventure. I moved the RT to the center of my garage and then I started rounding up the few tools I would need. The rear caliper bleeder was a cinch to change once I got my 67 year old knees convinced that they wouldn't shatter on the concrete. Two minute job to change that fitting once I was on the floor. I noticed the location of the front bleeders would make it a bit difficult to get a straight shot at them for replacement because of the wheel. I broke the lug nuts loose on the front wheels and then I used the jack from my wife's car to raise the left tire off the ground just a bit. I Removed the lug nuts and that allowed me to move the wheel just enough to get a straight shot at the bleeder so I could change it out. NOTE: I did not have to remove the wheel or mess with the fenders to do this, just push the wheel out of the way enough to reach the bleeder. I put the lugs back on, lowered the wheel, tightened and torqued the lugs to the specific torque. I then did the same with the right wheel. Keep a rag on hand in case some brake fluid escapes because it is rough on paint and because my garage floor is clean and I want to keep it that way. Once the Speed Bleeders were installed I fetched my drain pan and the two foot piece of clear tubing I bought for 62 cents at my ACE Hardware store. I started with the left front, then right front, and finally the rear keeping a close eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder. I have a small measuring cup that I use in the garage and it was perfect for adding fluid in the tight confines under the seat. All three calipers bled, wheels on ground and torque double checked, caps back on master correctly and ready for a test run. From the time I parked the Spyder in the center of the garage until I started it for a test run was 1 hour and 15 minutes and that includes finding the needed tools and clean up when I was finished. Anyone thinking about doing this all I can say is that it is an easy task. Do not pay these inflated prices that I see some dealers trying to charge. This isn't rocket surgery and if I can do it in 75 minutes a knowledgeable tech should knock it out in an hour even WITH a BUDS system check. Oh yeah, the fluid I replaced wasn't too bad looking for being a tad over two years old so the Spyder seems to have a pretty decent system that is sealed rather well. Fluid was a bit cloudy which means moisture was present, brake system enemy #1. I didn't notice any big improvement in braking power, but then I am a stickler when it comes to maintaining my motorcycle brakes and don't let them get out of shape in the first place.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    This time I Decided to use Speed bleeders. I've had them on all my bikes for years so about time I put them on the 15 RT. This is a write up on that adventure. I moved the RT to the center of my garage and then I started rounding up the few tools I would need. The rear caliper bleeder was a cinch to change once I got my 67 year old knees convinced that they wouldn't shatter on the concrete. Two minute job to change that fitting once I was on the floor. I noticed the location of the front bleeders would make it a bit difficult to get a straight shot at them for replacement because of the wheel. I broke the lug nuts loose on the front wheels and then I used the jack from my wife's car to raise the left tire off the ground just a bit. I Removed the lug nuts and that allowed me to move the wheel just enough to get a straight shot at the bleeder so I could change it out. NOTE: I did not have to remove the wheel or mess with the fenders to do this, just push the wheel out of the way enough to reach the bleeder. I put the lugs back on, lowered the wheel, tightened and torqued the lugs to the specific torque. I then did the same with the right wheel. Keep a rag on hand in case some brake fluid escapes because it is rough on paint and because my garage floor is clean and I want to keep it that way. Once the Speed Bleeders were installed I fetched my drain pan and the two foot piece of clear tubing I bought for 62 cents at my ACE Hardware store. I started with the left front, then right front, and finally the rear keeping a close eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder. I have a small measuring cup that I use in the garage and it was perfect for adding fluid in the tight confines under the seat. All three calipers bled, wheels on ground and torque double checked, caps back on master correctly and ready for a test run. From the time I parked the Spyder in the center of the garage until I started it for a test run was 1 hour and 15 minutes and that includes finding the needed tools and clean up when I was finished. Anyone thinking about doing this all I can say is that it is an easy task. Do not pay these inflated prices that I see some dealers trying to charge. This isn't rocket surgery and if I can do it in 75 minutes a knowledgeable tech should knock it out in an hour even WITH a BUDS system check. Oh yeah, the fluid I replaced wasn't too bad looking for being a tad over two years old so the Spyder seems to have a pretty decent system that is sealed rather well. Fluid was a bit cloudy which means moisture was present, brake system enemy #1. I didn't notice any big improvement in braking power, but then I am a stickler when it comes to maintaining my motorcycle brakes and don't let them get out of shape in the first place.
    I just bought the (5) Speed Bleeders, and plan on doing the same job next week. Baja Ron told me to bleed the ABS controller also. He said to do that one last, so I will. Thanks for you run down, Dad
    Last edited by redrazor; 09-03-2022 at 01:56 PM. Reason: font size
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

I just bought the (5) Speed Bleeders, and plan on doing the same job next week. Baja Ron told me to bleed the ABS controller also. He said to do that one last, so I will. Thanks for you run down, Dad
    Came with Garmin 660

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    Why 5? I thought it was just 3+1 including the controller. Maybe I'm missing something.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

On my end of season list to do. Just gonna bleed out the (3) wheel brakes.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Why 5? I thought it was just 3+1 including the controller. Maybe I'm missing something.

They come in bags of 2; so I had to get 4 regulars and the 1 larger one for the controller ... so I have 1 extra one now.
    Came with Garmin 660

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post

They come in bags of 2; so I had to get 4 regulars and the 1 larger one for the controller ... so I have 1 extra one now.
    Or, you could sell it to me. I only got one package of 2!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-05-2022 at 11:54 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hmm, I ordered three and got a pack of two and a pack of one just a few weeks ago.
    2015 RT , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Speed Bleeders

... So are you saying that 'Speed Bleeders' are sold in package quantities of two? Seems odd that they went to this scenario. Maybe you get a little discount for your purchase.

Stay Healthy. ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2022 at 06:50 AM. Reason: senearo - scenario %-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I Guys !!

I'm going to change my front brakes soon I have a Mityvac at the same time I bleed the brakes I change oil, two jobs at the same time.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

About to change my front pads and flush all the fluid today. Guessing about the 4th or 5th time I’ve done this in 9 years. Never an issue and no access to BUDS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Hmm, I ordered three and got a pack of two and a pack of one just a few weeks ago.
    I did the same and also got a package of 2 and a package of 1.

I ordered mine from speed bleeders and not from amazon
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ... So are you saying that 'Speed Bleeders' are sold in package quantities of two? Seems odd that they went to this scenario. Maybe you get a little discount for your purchase.

Stay Healthy. ....
    I ordered them from Amazon. I just entered Speed Bleeder in their "Search" box. There were Many different brands! All about $18 per pair. The bigger pair for the controller are Goodridge Motorcycle Speed Bleeder SB1010. The smaller ones for the wheel calipers are Goodridge SB6100s. It's 106 degrees out side today, so I'm putting off the Big Bleed for a while. I think I'll keep the 1 extra big one and 1 extra little one, in case I lose or mess one up(?!?). I may want to sell them later.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2022 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Default size already IS 2!
    Came with Garmin 660