Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally! Take delivery after Labor Day. ECO Mode any good?

Been a long time coming, but my 2022 F3L is ready to ryde day after Labor Day (gonna miss the holiday riding). Now, I have what I hope is not too dumb a question...but none of my 2 wheelers had Eco mode. Regarding the break-in and longevity of the engine...is there any advantage to doing the break-in in strictly eco mode? Does it even matter? Please don't laugh too hard!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-02-2022 at 10:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

No advantage.... no benefit either!

If you use ECO Mode much/all the time, you might save 2/5ths or 5/8ths of sfa in terms of fuel economy, but it will retard your throttle input even more and you'll never truly reach WOT..... which in turn will mean that when you turn ECO Mode OFF, you'll think you've got a new bike, or maybe had a turbo fitted!

Personally, I wouldn't waste the time & effort of ever using ECO Mode, except maybe if you want to deaden your throttle input when ryding in snow.... . But it's your Spyder.....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

"No advantage.... no benefit either!" Yeah, after initial break in, I didn't think I'd be using the Eco...just wondered about first 600. Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

See comment #2, Peter Aawen is right in my book, just another button. Ride with ECO off, one less thing for mind clutter.

Spyder Garage

Just drive it like a sane person and don't hold your gas at any set speed for and length of time, like on the highway at 75!!! Enjoy, and relax!!!! After your break-in time drive it like you stole it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I found a good use for eco mode during my recent 5 day 2k mile trip.

I was running into issues during more heavy rains/storms that I was pressing through on the higher altitude roads with the rear tire hydroplaning/breaking loose.

By switching to eco mode it made the throttle less responsive and less likely to break loose on me so eco mode is my new "rain setting" for better traction control on wet surfaces.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Yup .. I use ECO mode only in the rain and on interstate rides.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Most here will agree that ECO mode is not that good in saving gas. It does adjust your throttle response. I have never liked it. I had a 2014, (the year ECO came out). Tried it on one tankful. Never liked it. Since then, have not used it.

and

RE: break in. Vary the speeds the first 350 miles or so. Gentle on the brakes and tires. They will break in during this time. I am conservative. 7 Spyders and almost 200K miles across the board.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Yup .. I use ECO mode only in the rain and on interstate rides.
    I'm curious as to why you use eco mode on the interstate? I found that eco mode doesn't provide that extra burst of power that is needed at times, like trying to avoid something with a quick movement or additional acceleration climbing a hill. In 2014, when I tried eco mode, I only used it at low speed (45 mph and lower) or in city driving. I did that for a while found no benefit to me and have ridden in normal mode ever since. I only press eco when I need to reset my trip meter or something with audio.
    Next time I am caught in rain, I will try eco to determine if it improves handling for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It all depends on your wrist and how you ride. For some folks, they just can't get it to work. For others, they can get better fuel mileage. 2/3 mpg more and can squeeze possibly another 5/10k out of the rear tire. Brake pads will also last longer. So, if you drive conservatively 90% of the time it will pay off in the long run.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    ..... So, if you drive conservatively 90% of the time it will pay off in the long run.
    I don't understand?? . What is this strange concept you talkin' about 2dogs?! "drive conservatively"??? . I don't understand the term at all, and have no idea whatever it is that you could possibly mean??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    I'm curious as to why you use eco mode on the interstate? I found that eco mode doesn't provide that extra burst of power that is needed at times, like trying to avoid something with a quick movement or additional acceleration climbing a hill. In 2014, when I tried eco mode, I only used it at low speed (45 mph and lower) or in city driving. I did that for a while found no benefit to me and have ridden in normal mode ever since. I only press eco when I need to reset my trip meter or something with audio.
    Next time I am caught in rain, I will try eco to determine if it improves handling for me.
    I've never encountered a situation where the power isn't adequate in ECO mode to make a quick pass while traveling 75-80mph. I do have a F3S that has the 89t rear pulley. My bike is geared lower than RT/F3L's. That lower gearing also increases the chances of tire spin on wet roads.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I don't understand?? . What is this strange concept you talkin' about 2dogs?! "drive conservatively"??? . I don't understand the term at all, and have no idea whatever it is that you could possibly mean??
    Ahh you guys down under, sometimes we see things the same, and sometimes we don't. But if we rode together and stopped for a brew you might have to order a second beer before I got there to order mine, even though I have stage II. First beer is on me if I ever get down there.

con·ser·va·tive·ly
    a adverb
    1. in a sober and conventional way.
    2. in a cautious way that seeks to avoid potential risks.

Spyder Garage

The only time I use Eco mode is in slow stop and go traffic.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2to3 View Post
    "No advantage.... no benefit either!" Yeah, after initial break in, I didn't think I'd be using the Eco...just wondered about first 600. Thanks!
    There is no "600 mile" break in period, your first service is at 3000 miles and then every 9000 after that. Some have done their first service earlier but this is BRP's recommendation.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Had a 2020RTL and now a 2022 F3L Limited Special and other to turn ECO on to see what it was about, have not use it. Does take away response somewhat, but did not buy bike to drive to church.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    Had a 2020RTL and now a 2022 F3L Limited Special and other to turn ECO on to see what it was about, have not use it. Does take away response somewhat, but did not buy bike to drive to church.
    That's funny! I will ryde mine to church! BTW, my church is 90 miles away....

Spyder Garage

I took possession of my 2018 F3 Limited in May 2023 and with the exception of a few times comparing acceleration between the 2 modes I have only ridden in ECO mode so far. I have had it up to a ridiculous speed and up on two wheels, so power doesn't seem to lack too much. I get 35-36mpg with 91 octane. After reading a few threads here I am going to try a few tanks with ECO mode off and see if I notice a difference.

Spyder Garage

Mine stays in Normal mode almost all the time. Almost never use Eco or Sport modes. Eco mode does not seem to make any difference in gas mileage and it will squeal the tire in Normal mode too.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Here's what BRP says ECO Mode does.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    There is no "600 mile" break in period, your first service is at 3000 miles and then every 9000 after that. Some have done their first service earlier but this is BRP's recommendation.
    My 21 OP guide shows a break in period. That is all it says about that.
    Operating During Break-In

A break-in period of 1 000 km (600mi)
    is required for the vehicle.

During the first 300 km (200mi), avoid hard braking.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

The OP guide tells you to avoid hard braking during the first 200 mi to allow the brake pads to bed in sort of naturally. One could bed in the pads the way Bajaron recommends with EBC fully sintered pads but the lawyers would object because to putting that in print because it could put an inexperienced rider in a potentially dangerous situation that could get BRP sued.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have never even thought of using ECO Mode.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Heck, I don't even know why it's there. :-)

Spyder Garage

I have no idea what kind of fuel mileage these Spyders get. Guessing high 20's to mid 30's. So basically my response to eco mode is why? This is the same why? I ask when the "should I use premium" debate comes up in bikes.

We spend a fairly sizable bucket of $$$ for these toys. The manufacturer recommended premium. The tank holds 7 gallons, premium is about $0.10 a gallon more than regular, so $0.70 a tank more per fill. I have read until my eyes cross as to why we should use premium (mostly in the Harley world) and to be honest, I don't understand it all, but, if the company that designed, tested, manufactured and warranted these toys says you should, why not? If we can't "afford" to spend $0.70 a tankful or for 200 ish miles of fun, then maybe we can't afford the toy. And it is my experience we go from fretting over $0.70 a tank more to spending thousands for farkles, bling, accessories, mods etcetera. Yep said we. I love for my ride to be mine. I actually hate showing up for a ride and have another bike "look" like mine ... and you know what I have come to find? The only way to prevent that from happening is to not change mine ... LOL. Of course I am unable to eliminate the obsession of spending my "expendable cash" on my toy.

This same logic seems to apply to eco mode. Is it really worth $0.70 a tank full to take away some of the WOW factor when we ride?

Just my $0.02 worth.
    Current Ride: 2019 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited - Cool Change.

Past Rides:

2014 HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl
    2006 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Jessica
    2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Helga
    2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn
    2008 Honda Gold Wing GL 1800 Trike w/Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2
    2001 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Tweety
    2015 HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl
    2011 HD Ultra - Raven
    2006 K1200LT - Vianca
    2007 HD Ultra
    2006 HD Ultra
    2004 Honda Goldwing
    2001 Honda Goldwing
    1996 Honda Goldwing
    2000 Honda Aero
    1985 Honda V65 Magnum
    1992 HD Softtail