Spyder Garage

Default First time spyder owner, Got some issues/questions.

Hey guys, I just picked up a new to me 2012 Spyder RTs with 5k miles. I noticed when riding at speeds above, let's say 50-65 mph, I get this light random tight vibration, seems to be from the drivetrain or rear end far as I can tell, it comes and goes. What could this be?

Second: Where is the auxiliary connection for the audio connection location?

Third: When I first drove it around the block, I noticed the front end diving in turns and chattering at certain speeds. So I tightened the front springs one click and puts me one away from full stiffness. It now handles way better but not perfect. It still feels like it darts some, Would a Baja Ron sway bar fix this?

Fourth: What is this low sounding High pitch sound coming mostly from the left side motor when turned off. It does it for a long time?

I'm sure I will have more questions, Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-03-2022 at 07:23 AM. Reason: ' 's before ?'s & :'s %-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Hey guys, I just picked up a new to me 2012 Spyder RTs with 5k miles. I noticed when riding at speeds above lets say 50-65 mph, I get this light random tight vibration, seems to be from the drivetrain or rear end far as I can tell, it comes and goes. What could this be?
    That's the belt

Should be a DIN connector in the trunk

Third: When I first drove it around the block, I noticed the front end diving in turns and chattering at certain speeds. So I tightened the front springs one click and puts me one away from full stiffness. It now handles way better but not perfect. It still feels like it darts some, Would a Baja Ron sway bar fix this?
    First check your front tires have the correct pressure and are within 1/2 pound of each other. Then check your tires for evidence of poor alignment. What brand of tire? We need more information about the road and riding conditions under which you're experiencing the diving and chattering.

Fourth: What is this low sounding High pitch sound coming mostly from the left side motor when turned off. It does it for a long time?
    Probably the fuel pump.

See my responses above.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-03-2022 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The whining sound is just your computer shutting down, it is common to early Spyders. It doesn't hurt anything and will go away in a while.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-02-2022 at 06:22 PM. Reason: ' 's

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    See my responses above.
    Sorry, where above ?

Spyder Garage

Sorry, where above ?
    UtahPete's answers are in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Hey guys, I just picked up a new to me 2012 Spyder RTs with 5k miles. I noticed when riding at speeds above, let's say 50-65 mph, I get this light random tight vibration, seems to be from the drivetrain or rear end far as I can tell, it comes and goes. What could this be?
    That's the belt

Should be a DIN connector in the trunk

First check your front tires have the correct pressure and are within 1/2 pound of each other. Then check your tires for evidence of poor alignment. What brand of tire? We need more information about the road and riding conditions under which you're experiencing the diving and chattering.

Probably the fuel pump.

See my responses above.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-04-2023 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    UtahPete's answers are in bold.

That's the belt
    What needs to be done? Belt too tight/loose or out of alignment, belt tensioner?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-03-2022 at 07:28 AM. Reason: alignment & ' 's before ? & !'s %-)

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1A Belt sound, vibration. Fix by adjusting tension or adding Belt Tensioner.
    2 A Connection is in the rear trunk.
    3A Your new so you may just need more seat time to get use to the Spyder and loosen grip, you can move the front shock to the high point if you like. The baja bar works good after you get the seat time. How old are your tires?
    4A Sounds like it maybe your fans running, they will run after you shut down sounds like a high pitch wind.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Rick. Where in upstate NY?

So, you’re the new owner of a 2012. Read through this for the stuff that applies to you.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

Pete didn’t really annotate his responses that clearly. Look at his post where he quoted you in the shaded area. They’re embedded in there.

Bottom line, the sway bar and a laser alignment for the handling issues. You’ll be glad you did. If you’re anywhere near any of these folks, give them a ring.

http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealersny.htm

Yeah, that whining noise is your throttle bodies behind held closed to aid in any subsequent hot start. 40 minutes. It’s not your fan. There’s only one. It’s in your operators guide. If you don’t have one, and if you have a liner in your front storage area, aka frunk, unzip the zipper and check in the manual holder towards the bottom. Otherwise, download one here….

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...hp?productId=5

Reducing the belt tension helps with the vibration. The best add on dampener is from Smooth Spyder.

PS. Looks like K80 helped out. Any other questions, us old guys with 2012s are right here.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 09-02-2022 at 04:06 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the help guys, The spyder only has 5k miles on it, Its practically brand new and looks like it came off the showroom floor, It was babied, garaged and very well kept by a 70+ older gentleman. I found the manuals where you said in the frunk, Thanks. I will have to look into the belt and get that resolved.

Spyder Garage

On our 2011 Spyder I have the spring adjusters at the stiffest setting. My advise to you is to also adjust your front springs to the stiffest setting. Your Spyder will have a high pitched tone for about 40 to 45 minutes. It is normal. If the tone is a problem, you can pull relay on the bottom left of your fuse box and put it back in. This will stop the tone. This is handy to do when working on your Spyder. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Just curious, and without giving away your actual location, that Spyder wasn't by chance parked in a bus garage bay on Thursday afternoon, was it? I saw one sitting in the garage bay, orangish in color. Very nice-looking ride.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    Just curious, and without giving away your actual location, that Spyder wasn't by chance parked in a bus garage bay on Thursday afternoon, was it? I saw one sitting in the garage bay, orangish in color. Very nice-looking ride.
    No, Mine is silver and I'm in Ilion, NY.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-03-2022 at 07:29 AM. Reason: ' %-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ilion? We were near there just last month. Went to buy a lift in Blue Mountain Lake. Turned north in Utica, so we missed you.

About your ride: most of your questions have already been addressed, I'll just offer my observations.

Your first question was about noise from the belt. It tends to act like a drum and vibrate. At certain speeds, it seems to resonate and be VERY noticeable. Reducing the tension slightly will lower the vibration frequency, probably to the point where it will not be noticed. There are gauges that will give actual tension readings, but I have never used one. Our Spyder does not seem to have the problem, so I have never had to 'fix' it. Someone mentioned a 'tensioner'. It's actually more of a 'damper'. It is a spring-loaded wheel that rides on the top side of the belt. It is meant to dampen the vibrations, but since it's a relatively small-diameter wheel, it turns rather quickly. If its bearings fail, it's possible to destroy the belt.

Another question was about 'the front end diving around'. My wife and I are relatively new to Spyders, we got hers just a couple of years ago. When I was out, trying to get used to it, I was afraid to go over about 45 mph, as it was constantly moving around. Had the alignment checked at a rally, it was good. Replaced the tires, it felt like a different bike. Like you, we had about 5000 miles on it, but changed the tires based on all the reports here. What tire to get? While some are better than others, almost everybody on the forum agrees that ANYTHING is better than the stock Kenda () tires. I installed Vredestein Q5 all around, very happy I did.

Your other issues are different than we have with our '17 RT-S, so I can't help with those.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rick, do yourself a favor and get acquainted with the search function. All your questions have been nearly beat to death in years past with lots of comments and recommendations. You'll learn a whole lot more that way than you will from answers to your posts. If you get stuck looking for answers then for sure post them here. Be sure to read this thread - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners.

BTW, diving around is most likely bad front wheel alignment. Do a search for laser alignment. You'll get a brain full of info!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you wish to attach a single-plug stereo input device, be sure to use the cable that came with the Spyder. If you don't have that, don't waste your money buying an American cable, because the internal wiring is different, and will give you audio but not in stereo... to get stereo you will need to buy the genuine Spyder cable. (I don't know the part number.)

Welcome to the Spyder world!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Your Spyder is a 2012 with five grand on the clock. How old are the tires? There is a DOT oval on the sidewall with a four digit number in it indicating the week and year of manufacture. If they are more than six years old, for your own safety replace them soon as possible. If you received an operator's guide with the vehicle, great! Read it thoroughly several times. If you do not have one, drill down at this link, save the copy to your computer and read it thoroughly.
    https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...p?folderId=264
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

So I ordered the Krikit II belt tension tool, While I wait for it to get here, I looked at the belt and pushed on it and there was a lot of movement, I was also able to twist it to the side easily, Could it be to loose ?? My vibration comes and goes, when I let off the throttle it goes away instantly.
    Last edited by USAF; 09-05-2022 at 06:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi Rick28,

My first spyder was a 2012 RTS-SE5 the answer to 2nd question it's in the trunk. on the right side.
    Did you a get an audio plug when you bought the spyder?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No, Mine is silver and I'm in Ilion, NY.
    Concerning your Alignment .... The Netzley's will be at SpyderQuest Sept. 6 thru 10 in Lake George NY ( about 2 hr. drive for you ) .... they do great work ...... they may actually live closer to you, check them out .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2022 at 03:26 AM. Reason: ' ' %-)