Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default To Align now or later ?

OK , I have about 5-6 K on my Quatrac's and they are showing a lot of what I consider "abnormal" wear.

They are 165/60/ R15 and did have some scrub against the fender when doing "extreme" far left or far right input from the handlebars under load.

I made some adjustments to the fender to stop the scrub. But I did start to notice some unusual wear on the inside of my tires after my trip to the Cherohala, Dragon, and BRP when I got back.

Over the last couple of weeks the wear seems to be increasing some more and it is quite obvious that an alignment is needed.

I want to get it aligned but I also am planning to upgrade my shocks to a set of M2's before next spring.

My question would be align it now so the tires can hold up until the upgrade and replace the tires then and do another alignment.

Or not do the alignment and wait until after I do the upgrade and tire replacement. It doesn't feel like it needs an alignment while driving but I am worried about burning through these tires before I can do my shock upgrade.

Looking from the front.

"Passengers" sideIMG_20220830_160459053.jpg "Drivers Side" IMG_20220830_160529482.jpg
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 09-02-2022 at 05:37 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

What do you mean, that's close enough! Factory alignment I presume.
    That would annoy the hell out of me, I'd do new tyres and alignment now but it's not my money.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post

Looking from the front.

"Passengers" sideIMG_20220830_160459053.jpg "Drivers Side" IMG_20220830_160529482.jpg

That's exactly how my tires are wearing!

I know I need an alignment but I am having a hard time finding someone that knows what they're doing around here. I refuse to go to the dealer. I will probably end up doing it myself eventually. I wanted to wait until I installed my Bajaron swaybar before the alignment. Now that that's done I will do the alignment over the winter. I already have new tires for the bike.

Tim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-02-2022 at 07:43 AM. Reason: their - they're %-)
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    What do you mean, that's close enough! Factory alignment I presume.
    That would annoy the hell out of me, I'd do new tyres and alignment now but it's not my money.
    Yea that is what I feel emotionally but the frugal side of me is saying cold weather and salt season will be upon us here in a couple of months so is it really worth it to do it before I winter it which is when I plan on buying and installing the M2 shocks myself?

I will have to do the alignment after I install the shocks and don't want to burn through a new set of front tires before then. I use this as a commuter vehicle back and forth to work daily as long as the weather cooperates, I only stop riding when there is salt on the road or severe storms are expected as my route to work takes me along a lot of roads with trees that like to fall down during storms and I would wear through them again pretty fast.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 09-02-2022 at 07:23 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post
    That's exactly how my tires are wearing!

I know I need an alignment but I am having a hard time finding someone that knows what they're doing around here. I refuse to go to the dealer. I will probably end up doing it myself eventually. I wanted to wait until I installed my Bajaron swaybar before the alignment. Now that that's done I will do the alignment over the winter. I already have new tires for the bike.

Tim
    You will love it once you have the sway bar installed, makes it a totally different vehicle. But I am really looking forward to these shocks, as this will complete my build for now hopefully, and so does my wife so she can ride with me again on longer trips. She couldn't as we were bottoming out riding 2up on the rear quatrac. Luckily that didn't do any damage to it. But my rear wheel well has a skid mark in its drawers now.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-02-2022 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are already showing " tire wear " with only 5000 mi. .... this is a real problem, don't put an alignment ( ie. Lazer type ) off any longer than necessary ..... when you get the alignment swap the wheels/tires from left to right to counteract what has already occurred ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-02-2022 at 06:20 PM. Reason: don'\t - don't

Spyder Garage

The wear appears to be on the inside of both tires. Wouldn't that suggest more than a toe-in alignment like camber?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The wear appears to be on the inside of both tires. Wouldn't that suggest more than a toe-in alignment like camber?
    I think so but I haven't attempted any type of alignment yet, I had not planned on looking into it until after I completed the shock upgrade.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    On a car / truck yes ..... But the Spyder suspension doesn't allow for Camber changes ..... or Caster either ....It's a very simple design ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How lucky do you feel?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Holy Cow I have the same tires with over 12,000 miles on them now and they show no uneven wear at all. They pretty much look like new...
    Personally, I would get it aligned now.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I think so but I haven't attempted any type of alignment yet, I had not planned on looking into it until after I completed the shock upgrade.
    I really don't think shocks are going to change anything on the alignment, I would do it now and swap the tires from side to side and ride the rest of this season and put the shocks and new tires on in the spring and start the season fresh!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I know that there are those on the forum that will disagree with me and that is certainly their privilege, but I would urge you to not attempt to align the bike by yourself. Find someone with a Rolo laser alignment system and get it done right. When I purchased my 2019 RTL the dealership I did business with did not have the laser system but said they could get it right the old fashioned way. Drove the bike about 1000 miles like that until I was by Nixa, Mo and had Lamonster shop do the laser alignment. Unbelievable difference. Worth the money.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I know that there are those on the forum that will disagree with me and that is certainly their privilege, but I would urge you to not attempt to align the bike by yourself. Find someone with a Rolo laser alignment system and get it done right. When I purchased my 2019 RTL the dealership I did business with did not have the laser system but said they could get it right the old fashioned way. Drove the bike about 1000 miles like that until I was by Nixa, Mo and had Lamonster shop do the laser alignment. Unbelievable difference. Worth the money.
    You can go on the Rolo web site and get a list of everyone that dose it as a business!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You can go on the Rolo web site and get a list of everyone that dose it as a business!
    Actually, not everyone...