Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat and brake fade on 2020+ RTs

On a recent ride, I noticed the brakes on my 2021 Sea to Sky were a little squishy after a couple hours of riding. It was a hot day in the low 90s. I wasn't sure what was causing the issue. Then I put my hand on the black body panel that covers the brake reservoir side. It was so hot that I could not leave my hand on it. I actually took it off to check for fire! I think the heat from the exhaust header is radiating up and getting trapped in this area and heating up the brake fluid. I will be wrapping the header pipe today to cut down on the heat. Anyone else notice this? Please check on your next ride.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

My spousal unit is a big fan of DOT 5.1, higher boiling point among other benefits.
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Last month ( coming home from vacation ) I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 1 1/2 hrs. .... The 2014 RT temp was reading 125 F ..... because of the stop & go traffic I was using the brakes a lot .... I didn't notice any Fade .... Yes mine is a 14 yours is a 20. I don't think there should be a difference in heat management ..... JMHO ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I will be wrapping the header pipe today to cut down on the heat.
    That and I would use some metallic heat shield tape on the res itself.... I used this on some CF parts on my McLaren to stave off color change and it is working well...
    https://smile.amazon.com/Sporacingrt...s%2C135&sr=8-8

Quote Originally Posted by Jane1330 View Post
    My spousal unit is a big fan of DOT 5.1, higher boiling point among other benefits.
    EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the .1 on it! My mistake....
    Last edited by hypurone; 09-01-2022 at 09:24 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Folks are getting DOT 5.1 confused with DOT 5.
    DOT 5.1 has very wide applicability and can be used with confidence in any brake system where the use of glycol ether fluid is specified. This includes the latest generation full electric and electric hybrid vehicles where low conductivity is essential, as well as high performance European vehicles. It is fully compatible with and can replace or top up systems using DOT 4 and DOT 3 fluids.

Since DOT 4 and 5.1 are both glycol-based brake fluids they are compatible with each other, which means they can be readily mixed without harming your brake system. It is important never to mistake DOT 5.1 (glycol-based) with DOT 5 which is silicone-based and should never be mixed with any other DOT fluid. DOT 5 is used mostly in classic cars that remain in storage for long periods and need a brake fluid that does not absorb water.
    2015 RT , Black