Spyder Garage

Default Want to install GPS on 2020 RTL, which one to order? What's the difference?

Hi
    I want to install A GPS on 2020 RTL, Lamonster has 2 one for 629 and one for 539
    I don't know which one to order or the difference, I emailed Lamonster a week ago
    but no response
    Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2022 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask a question ;-)

Spyder Garage

You haven't provided much info on the specific products that you're looking at. For the almost $100 difference in price, I would assume that they each have different features.

I have a TomTom Rider 550 that I picked up on Amazon. I went with TomTom due to previous experience with them, and it came with the Ram mount; I didn't have to purchase it separately .

--Exco

Spyder Garage

I have the Garmin Zumo XT. You can't go wrong with the XT.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I have the Garmin Zumo XT. You can't go wrong with the XT.
    Yes. If you're buying a new GPS, get the latest and the best. You'll find the technology is flattening out, so the latest version will last far longer.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have the Garmin Zumo XT also. What a great unit.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic
    Sold - Ryker 900 Black

Spyder Garage

The XT is the way to go if you don't have legacy Garmin add-ons like TPMS or VIRB camera. If you have have either of those, go for the 590/595.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have the Garmin XT and it’s great but there are challenges for Mac users if you want to use one of the popular TP route planners.
    The XT is not recognized as a hard drive on a Mac so transferring a TP created route to the device is not simple. There are work arounds but they can be frustrating
    Last edited by PeterKelly; 09-02-2022 at 05:54 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Palm Desert)
    Grey - dark edition

2015 Spyder F3 S (Vancouver)

2017 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer

Spyder Garage

I agree with the Zumo XT. It's been great, readable in direct sunlight, much quicker response time and redrawing the map when zooming in or out.

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm running the Zumo XT, and I love it.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I agree, XT. Unless, you have a UTV or ATV then get the Garmin Tread. It is an XT on steroids and you can switch it between rides.

Spyder Garage

I have recently purchased the Garmin Zumo XT and agree that it is a very capable unit with simple controls and a very good screen. Two issues I had to address: 1) getting the Garmin voice directions to play through the RTL's speakers required a blue tooth adapter from LaMonster. The adapter allows both my cell phone Sirius music and the Garmin to play through the bike speakers. Also note that the Garmin speaker alone was not loud enough for my 75 year old ears. 2) Garmin will modify your route to a destination depending on how adventurous you want to get. But I selected the least adventurous setting and found that I was routed about 15 miles extra to a destination 50 miles away solely so that I stayed in interstates almost all the way. I am still learning what settings to use to get a good combination between shortest and quickest and least adventurous routes.

Spyder Garage

I purchased the Lamonster Zumo XT set up with the plug & play harness for $644.90. I decided to buy this because I have no intention of downloading BRP Go. I have a bluetooth communication device on my helmet and the XT pairs up with no problem. I followed the Lamonster video on the install of the harness. Works great.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WDAVEY View Post
    I have recently purchased the Garmin Zumo XT and agree that it is a very capable unit with simple controls and a very good screen. Two issues I had to address: 1) getting the Garmin voice directions to play through the RTL's speakers required a blue tooth adapter from LaMonster. The adapter allows both my cell phone Sirius music and the Garmin to play through the bike speakers. Also note that the Garmin speaker alone was not loud enough for my 75 year old ears. 2) Garmin will modify your route to a destination depending on how adventurous you want to get. But I selected the least adventurous setting and found that I was routed about 15 miles extra to a destination 50 miles away solely so that I stayed in interstates almost all the way. I am still learning what settings to use to get a good combination between shortest and quickest and least adventurous routes.
    If you don't want 'twisty' routes do not use the 'Adventure' mode. That is where you set how much curves/hills you want to ride. You can try 'Automobile' and set to 'shortest distance' which will likely add to the trip time but avoid the 'tour' to get to the interstate.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

If you have not done so, I would recommend using Sygic with BRP go to display the GPS in the dash. It takes a bit of learning and there are lots of videos and a FB Group for help. It is much cheaper than an XT. I use this setup all the time and works great for me. I get traffic alerts as well as long as I am in cell service.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-03-2022 at 07:14 AM. Reason: then (a time) - than (an alternative) %-)
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
    You haven't provided much info on the specific products that you're looking at. For the almost $100 difference in price, I would assume that they each have different features.

I have a TomTom Rider 550 that I picked up on Amazon. I went with TomTom due to previous experience with them, and it came with the Ram mount; I didn't have to purchase it separately .

--Exco
    I second the Tom Tom Rider. i have he same mount on my Spyder and the Goldwing Trike. What ever I ride. The Rider in on.

Spyder Garage

I had a Tom Tom Rider 3 for about 5 years and always had trouble seeing the screen in the bright sunlight. I added a Sunblocker shade but it didn't help much. Several weeks ago I got the Zumo XT from Lamonster with the handlebar camp mount for $629. The difference between the two is unbelievable. The Zumo screen is brighter and easier to see, I'm getting up to speed pretty quickly on using it. Definitely a great investment as far as I'm concerned.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    If you don't want 'twisty' routes do not use the 'Adventure' mode. That is where you set how much curves/hills you want to ride. You can try 'Automobile' and set to 'shortest distance' which will likely add to the trip time but avoid the 'tour' to get to the interstate.
    Oh, you mean that adventure mode that can turn a 750 mike trip from here to Savannah into a 1,150 mile adventure. It's well named. I LOVE IT!
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    Hi
    I want to install A GPS on 2020 RTL, Lamonster has 2 one for 629 and one for 539
    I don't know which one to order or the difference, I emailed Lamonster a week ago
    but no response
    Like others have said, Zumo XT - well worth the investment. I use a RAM mount with Kradlelock https://robertbeckerdesign.com/kradellock-xt/ so it can't be stolen. I also use a Garmin BC40 rear view camera that gives me a great view of what is behind me (i installed this after I knocked over a really nice concrete fountain that was too low for met to see by turning around). Best of luck!
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Drwerner View Post
    I also use a Garmin BC40 rear view camera that gives me a great view of what is behind me
    Thanks for that info. Never thought about the possibility of the XT being compatible with the BC40. Does it give you the full menu option of setting the onscreen lines, etc?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I just bought the one for $539 with the added Harness connector for my 2021 RTL. That one included mounts that can be used on both the Spyder or my Harley. So far, I have only used the connector wire from the GPS to the connector wire in the glove box. It powers the GPS up when ignition is turned on, after it has been charged by my iPhone charger, and works OK, but doesn’t hold a charge for more than a couple of hours before loosing brightness all the way down to 40%. I watched the installation video several times, but still am confused on which wire harness to use,…the one connected to the mount directly from the battery, or the custom wire following the video, or a combination of them to get audio through the radio speakers and to keep it recharged. My Dealer has never installed one yet, and said he’d research it and call me back, but no call back now for several weeks. I don’t want to Blue Tooth it, to either my iPhone or helmet. I had Garmin on both of my 2012 and 2016 RTLs that I miss, which is why I hope to get the new Zumo XT working as good on my 2021 RTL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    Hi
    but no response
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WDAVEY View Post
    The easiest way for me to connect was to bluetooth the Garmin to my phone. Now when I'm riding I have my phone bluetoothed to the Spyder listening to music I can hear the Garmin prompts through the speakers via my phone connection.
    2021 RT Limited Asphalt Gray
    Halo Skid
    Driver's backrest
    2" riser w/ F3 standard handlebars
    F4 vented 25" windshield

Spyder Garage

Gotta say, the Garmin XT has worked really well for both of us. We used the Lamonster angle adj mounting plate to affix the touratech locking GPS mount, perfect fit when used with the Helibars. Was a bit of a pain threading a jam nut onto the mounting bolt due to limited space. Having a super secure, locking mount is worth the extra $$
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Another 👍 for the XT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Spyder RTL- dark trim
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S Fastback
    1969 Barracuda, 6.1 Hemi restomod, convertible
    1970 Plymouth Superbird, 440-6bbl

Spyder Garage

Throw another vote for the XT on the pile. Bought one this spring to replace an outdated 396. Awesome unit with great bluetooth capabilities to sync with my phone and my helmet. I can listen to music from my phone and get routing prompts through my helmet at the same time.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White