Spyder Garage

Default Was it a flip of a coin - Heads it's Torx/Tails it's Hex?

I have to wonder, when ever a bolt was needed in the design of the Can-Am Spyder, did someone there flip a coin .... heads it's Torx / tails its Hex ?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRHorst View Post
    I have to wonder, when ever a bolt was needed in the design of the Can-Am Spyder, did someone there flip a coin .... heads it's Torx / tails its Hex ?
    Well I've read that a TORX head provides a higher Torque load. However in my experience unless the surfaces are perfectly mated the Torx will slip easier than a HEX ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I think you're right Mike! Just think about what you're using to tighten the fastener with, there is less chance of stripping a torx because you'll bung the head out of it before the threads! I believe you're able to torque the hex's better for a better, tighter assembly. Just my 2 cents!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-31-2022 at 08:53 AM. Reason: you're = you are .... your = belongs to you ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you've done a BIG deck job around the house you'll appreciate the "ease of use" for TORX head screws...

I've used them all, Square drive, slotted screws, AND my least favorites, PHILLIPS (:

Socket head/Allen head, have their place...

larryd
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-31-2022 at 03:02 PM. Reason: there (place) - their (ownership - theirs) ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    If you've done a BIG deck job around the house you'll appreciate the "ease of use" for TORX head screws...

I've used them all, Square drive, slotted screws, AND my least favorites, PHILLIPS (:

Socket head/Allen head, have their place...

larryd
    I agree. They are great for self tapping screws. My confusion is - that why not use all torx (or Hex) on the Spyder. Why some of each???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRHorst View Post
    I agree. They are great for self tapping screws. My confusion is - that why not use all torx (or Hex) on the Spyder. Why some of each???
    I think it's a matter of ''looks''. If heads are visible, then the Torx are more visually appealing. Out of sight then the hex are OK. Hexes are probably cheaper also so bean counters like that.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cravenfun View Post
    I think it's a matter of ''looks''. If heads are visible, then the Torx are more visually appealing. Out of sight then the hex are OK. Hexes are probably cheaper also so bean counters like that.
    I have .... NEVER had a Hex bolt slip .... Not so with TORX ..... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If a properly fitted Torx bit is used, it's difficult to strip. Care is needed when selection the proper sized bit: it will fit nearly tight in it's socket. If it doesn't, you've picked the incorrect size. I can use a #25 to work on a #27 screw but I will damage both the screw and probably the bit.

Torq can be a much lower profile/thinner head design, similar to a button head cap screw (BHCS). A BHCS has an Allen head socket and are very easy to strip/rip the hex out.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap