Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Let me just say I'm not happy either

I feel as though I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I've spent the last two years building this site and a relationship with you guys and BRP. Right now I feel like I should be taking sides if I'm going to keep any credibility I may have with you all.

First off I want to say I don't take a nickle from BRP and I'm not a controlled mouth piece for them. I have made some good friends within the company and my loyalty is to them and not the company.

I've also made some great friends here too and I hate to see anyone have the problems they are having and I've made every effort to be a mediator between them and BRP to help solve these problems. Judging by the PM's and emails I've gotten that has worked out pretty good. I have a "sticky" post at the top of this board to try and help those with on going problems and those who have taken the time to send me the info have had good reports back. That's more credit to BRP for doing what they told me they would do for those who have slipped through the cracks.

I have yet to have anyone fillout this info and send it to me on the steering issue. I don't know why but this should be reported and why not use all the tools available to you.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14122

Here's my real problem. I've been swamped with emails, PM's and phone calls about this issue and I really don't know what to tell you other than my experience with my Spyder. I can't tell you if it's safe or not to drive your Spyder after the second software update because there are enough members on this board that have had a steering problem at speed and I wouldn't want to be the one to say it will be fine and then someone gets hurt or worst. I don't feel mine is unsafe because I just don't have any power steering and there are plenty of folks that have driven thousands of miles in this same condition without any issues.

So I'm pretty bummed out for my friends here and my friends at BRP. I see some good members that are now giving up on the Spyder and moving on to something else and I see potential Spyder owners thinking that the Spyder is too problematic to own and by reading the post on this board the last few days I don't blame them at all.

Part of me wants to just shut down this site and turn it back on when everything is fixed because I don't know if we are helping or hurting the situation here. BRP is well aware of the problem and nobody wants to see a resolve to this more than they do. Problem is will the love for the Spyder be crushed because of this board before they have a chance to really fix the problem?

As for me I'm going to wait it out and see what happens. I have faith that they will get it fixed and the Spyder has just been too fun for me to give up on it now. Now if BRP says it can't be fixed then I'll move on but until they do I'll be waiting for the answers and I will share them here as soon as I know what they are.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    As for me I'm going to wait it out and see what happens. I have faith that they will get it fixed and the Spyder has just been too fun for me to give up on it now. Now if BRP says it can't be fixed then I'll move on
    It's still the best ryde I've ever had.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just cannot dump my first love just yet!

Lamont, this is your site and if you think it is best to shut it down for a while, then I will support your decision and will be the first in line when it reopens.

This site has been a blessing and would not want to lose it.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    also
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Thank you Lamont. Very well thought out post. I too am willing to wait and I know BRP is aware of our issues and working on them. I know when I have my spyder back, I will be posting more fun riding adventures. That is what this forum and our spyder is all about.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

even with my tid-bit issues as compared to the steering that some are reporting to have.

I agree with you Lamonster... 1000 % ....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Maybe we do need a few days cooling off, or like my Grandsons, a time out. We could all use the time to reflect on what this site means to us and come back ready to share ideas, suggestions, mods, maintenance tips and even criticisms without name calling, incivility and accusations.

Spyder Garage

Hey Lamonster I truly feel your frustration and can empathize with you. I also know that I have been caught up in some of the rhetoric surrounding the steering problem and have made a few posts that in hindsight may have only stirred the pot some more which has done nothing but add to your frustration.

For this I am truly sorry and offer my apologies. I have said to you previously that while I have not actually met you in person, from your approach and your passion you are one standup guy !

I have faith in BRP that they will eventually resolve the steering issues and I have faith that eventually this board, your board, will return to positive, information filled board that you intended it to be. If you believe that shutting the board down for a cooling off period is the best approach then I support you 100%.

Just please make me a promise that you will never lose the passion for the spyder that you do have because I would truly be at a loss without spyderlovers !
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

Lamonster, you don't need to take sides and you don't need to feel between a rock and a hard place.

While we're a "Spyder community" we're all grown ups who can make our own decisions. God forbid someone gets hurt but if it happens no one on this forum is to blame.

I take responsibility for my own actions. And sure, a forum is a place to come and vent once in a while too. However, I don't take a poll if my toaster isn't working properly. I assess the issue and make a decision based on the God given good sense I have.

I'm with you big guy. My husband too. We're standing by our bikes. We love the fun we have on them.

Spyder Garage

I can see how frustrating this can be...

However there is a lot of good on this site that completely overshadows any of the "bad".
    I find this site full of very useful information. I have talked to you over the phone and via PM, I have also talked to other people on the site that assisted me during the "build up" of my Spyder and I am very thankful...
    I have also met local people that share the same interest...

as far as shuting the site down until everything is fixed... don't listen to that part of you.. that is the red guy behind your ear ! Listen to the one in white !
    Last edited by XXX 74; 10-21-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    If you mod your ride to the approval of others then is not really yours... A Fuego ! XXX 74

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would hate to see a site shut down unless it was short term. That said I understand that it seems things are getting hotter with no quick fix on the horizon. It's your call and I won't complain either way.
    I don't know if this is considered proper but sometimes an announcement from BRP in some manner could go a long way. None of this is simple, I have not given up on the Spyder and have no intention of doing so. Thanks for all you do.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by rleathen View Post
    Hey Lamonster I truly feel your frustration and can empathize with you. I also know that I have been caught up in some of the rhetoric surrounding the steering problem and have made a few posts that in hindsight may have only stirred the pot some more which has done nothing but add to your frustration.

For this I am truly sorry and offer my apologies. I have said to you previously that while I have not actually met you in person, from your approach and your passion you are one standup guy !

I have faith in BRP that they will eventually resolve the steering issues and I have faith that eventually this board, your board, will return to positive, information filled board that you intended it to be. If you believe that shutting the board down for a cooling off period is the best approach then I support you 100%.

Just please make me a promise that you will never lose the passion for the spyder that you do have because I would truly be at a loss without spyderlovers !
    Hang in there Lamont, you have done the right thing. I realize there has been overreaction on the issues with the Spyder (both pro and con). But as you have said before that carries through to any board on the internet and involves any brand. I have decided not to worry about my Spyder and just ride it like I have done with all the other bikes I have owned. As I have said before the Spyder is the most enjoyable ride I have ever owned and I am not about to part with it. Things will soon settle and all will move on to other issues soon.We need to get back to the oil and octane thing

Michael
    Last edited by BLACK WIDOW; 10-21-2009 at 10:10 AM.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Lamont,

When I met you in LA and again at your BBQ, I knew you were one of the good guys. Please know that there are a number of us out here in the community that appreciates all the things that you have done for us.

To All,

For those of you that have had a problem with your and feel that it is unsafe, I respect your concern. I also understand the fustration in wanting your 's repaired in a timely manner. I am confident that all this will improve in time. We must work with our dealers and BRP. WE are the group that will make or break this product. If WE can't work through this together as a team, WE will all lose in the end.

For those of us that own a , I say hang in there and let's work through this.

For those of you thinking about purchasing a , I would recommend purchasing the BEST warranty to cover you for 5 years. I have no regrets purchasing my '09 SE5 and I still grin from ear to ear just when I look at it.

David
    Last edited by ntxYguy2009; 10-21-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    David
    McKinney, TX

Spyder Garage

Lamont, please don't give up. I have learned more about the Spyder than any other bike I have had in 40 years because of this forum. There are a lot of vents here, but the human nature in us is sometimes to blame rather than the real issue. To those of us who are willing to be adventurous and ride and learn, this forum is priceless. To those that are just using this forum to just gripe and groan and bash the Spyder (even if they do not own one!) we can learn to live with them. When I first explored buying a Spyder I read about the "problems" the SE5 was having. Had I listened, I would probably not be riding anymore...I had just lost confidence in myself in riding 2 wheels with Jennifer, or alone. But, I felt that a lot of problems could be owner-caused (no proof, just a feeling). We bought our SE5 in November 2008 and have never looked back. After 27,000 miles the only major issue has been a cracked coolant bottle (I have found the cause and will modify to prevent it happening on the new bottle). After the first steering update, I realized that I had hardly any power steering before! The twisties, and any curve had been a power struggle! Had it not been for this forum, I would have known nothing about the steering issue! This forum is priceless! Stay with it, Lamont! We'll stand behind you all the way. Some of the real issues are a bit scary, but we know about them through this forum, and by knowing, we can be made aware before it happens to us, and this may save us injury or worse. Nothing we will ever ride or drive guarantees us that it will not break or injury us.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post

I remember being at the BBQ on Friday --- and Someguy and I decided NOT to have the 2nd update done---- because we were away from home and didn't want any possible problems on the road.

Glad we made that call. I also don't think either of us really needed the update as we both yanked the evap cans and plugged the purge lines.

This site and the members can weather this storm - and both sides of such issues need to be heard---- but it would be nice if it didn't turn into a Spyder-bash.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Lamont - this is a great site - you have done a marvelous job in promoting the spyder and in taking care of all the people on this web site. I have had a few problems with my spyder. But I feel that they have not been inordinate in the number or has there been a problem getting it fixed.

BRP has called and made sure I am gettng taken care of and with you thread about someone having problems.. you forwarded them - I cannot believe how fast BRP's response was to my problem.

I feel this is a cutting edge product and as such I can expect to have some problems until all are sorted out. as long as we have this board to help voice our issues and our great times with the Spyder. I feel that the product will just get better.

I for one think the Spyder and SpyderLovers are.

Thanks Lamont
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Lamont, is your forum, your decision and the appreciation and respect we all have for you is beyond anything you decide. It is your call. That said, I personally would have a hard time not reading the potential temporary shutdown of this forum (even the threat of doing it) as censorship.

It is unavoidable that a safety issue would be controversial and divisive. 80% of motorcycle riding is recreational i.e. optional. Some of us are used to risk a little bit our lives in our free time (I boat offshore by myself, jet sky and used to parachute in addition to riding bikes) some others believe that is foolish to put your life in danger in a recreational activity, we have to respect them too.

All riders on this site are adults (some act more like them than others ) and can take our own decisions. If our posts influence each other one way or another that is our business. Nobody takes better decisions without information that being informed. This forum provides that information. Sometimes you have to dig it out of a lot of BS, but is there. It also provides a great vehicle to create friendships, help each other and even provides entertainment. My vote is por continuing sharing each other opinions in a free, uncensored, as objective as possible, and, above all, respectful manner.

Ride safe bro

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

with pretty much everything said so far, I haven't had any updates done on my Spyder, but I haven't had any problems to date, either. When (if) the updates get done, It's not coming out of the shop until all the sensors are checked.
    My Spyder is more fun than any bike I've owned since 1954, and so far less trouble than most. I don't want to see this site shut down, it's the only one I go to regularly, and consider all of you an extended family.
    Lamont, keep up the GOOD work.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I understand your position, however, we need to be mindful that as an open forum, good and bad comments will be shared. Personally, my Spyder has been a blast. Other than oil in the airbox (which I'll soon fix) I haven't had any problems. I feel safe riding the Spyder and truly enjoy the ride. If, however, I had safety problems, I would probably be as desperate to share and get reassurance from fellow riders. This is what this site does, like a family, we share good and bad things.

Spyder Garage

I feel bad that you feel bad but none of this is your fault and you shouldn't feel like you need to shut this place down. This is the BEST place to find out information - good or bad. Sure there is gonna be some ranting on here (I'm a cranky one sometimes and I make it known - just ask HDX). And there's gonna be totally positive stuff posted too. No matter what gets posted - it is all info for us to all take in. I don't think everyone needs to agree on stuff and that is what is good and makes us all individuals.

For those here w/ some issues - I hope they can be resolved or at least a decision will come to those on what they want to do w/ the Spyder. For those that have had no problems - I envy them and I think it's great that they are enjoying their machines.

So I'll try to cool it - I am known to have a temper and apologize if I offended anyone. Just very hard to not have emotions when it comes to stuff that plays a big part in your life, ya know?

Anyway, don't shut this place down - that wouldn't be a good idea.

Spyder Garage

I don't think I'd have my Spyder were it not for SpyderLovers.com. The cost, even used, was a LOT of money just for something to have fun on. I needed to reassure myself by coming here and talking to people who already owned one in order to take the plunge. I am so grateful that this site exists.

I'm on other sites too. BeginnerBikers.org for one. Some of the forums I go to are heavily moderated. Some, not so much. I have appreciated that you moderate with moderation! This site isn't your own personl mouthpiece. Yet you have also nipped some threads, even removing all evidence of them when that needed to happen.

I think it only natural that if the Spyder itself is going through a bit of a rough road, that any forum dedicated to it would be going through a rough time too. My personal hope is that we all just ride it out. This is temporary. I, like most people here, think the Spyder is the best thing that's ever been put on the road. I just love mine. I'm not ready to throw it out because of a few problems.

Please let us all simply take a deep breath and think a bit more before we hit that "submit" button. Let's each of us try not to be reactionary, responding immediately to something without some serious thought. I think if we all just don't panic and give everything a chance to sort itself out, that all of us and our Spyders are going to come out of this just fine. Let's be honest. BRP has way too much time and money invested in the Spyder to give up on their efforts to get this right. Their company would never survive that attitude and action. They have to know this.

Sure there are some dealers out there with techs that seem to have their heads in the sand. This too will get sorted out eventually. In my area it seems like BRP set up too many dealers too close to each other so that they each undermine each other's success. In the end, some won't have the business to keep the Spyder line in their offerings. Supply and demand will rule in the end.

Thank you so much Lamont for your hard work and dedication to the Spyder. I hope you keep the site open. Let's face it. We all want the Spyder to have its problems sorted out so we can spend less time on the formus and more time on the road!!
    Marilyn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamont, I've had some issues and done some complaining but, issues or not, I enjoy my Spyder more than any of the many bikes I've owned. A large part of that enjoyment has been this site and I would be disappointed if it were to be shut down. Don't be discouraged, your efforts are appreciated by many.

Spyder Garage

I will never give up on my spyder. No matter what.

It does sadden me that so many are selling their spyders, because of a few issues. They are the ones giving up so fast. Give the spyder a chance. BRP is working hard to fix any issues and flaws, I have faith in them.

Lamonster, don't give up on us or this site!!!! I get so much information from this site, and from you. We have to take the good with the bad.
    I have made and met some really cool friends on this site

I would be lost without this site.......
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know a good guy when I meet one.This is a great forum with a great leader in LaMont.There is very little flaming here very little mudslinging and the leadership is the reason.I turned down a Spyder yesterday just because the karma was not right between me and the Spyder.I know the concept is the correct one and I know that BRP will explore and correct these issues.It just takes time.

I have asked for info from members here and they were happy to share what they knew.I notice no issues of snobbery or elitism and I hope to treat others with the same respect and consideration I have seen here.

Lamont this will work out and you will be a big reason it does.

go for a ride,
    wolfshead1

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I vote for keeping the site up, I generally see the ranting for what it is & move on to informative and or fun topics.
    Thanx for a great site
    WAYNE