Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake issue still.....

I had hoped that replacing the left hand multifunction switch would have solved the issue of my parking brake not releasing, but alas, not to be. Went to the store this morning and when I came out, the brake refused to release. I tried slightly rolling on the throttle in first gear, then in reverse and again in first gear and the brake released, though the light kept flashing. Even still, the bike rode as normal. Any ideas?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Ideas...find a better stealership.
    Pretty simple design and system, likely needs a new parking brake actuator motor assembly.

Your info says you are from Washington, maybe consider making an appointment to have Shaun Smoake do the work. He is a very highly regarded Spyder tech.

Spyder Garage

When this happened to my F3, I got fault codes for the switch and actuator motor. I replaced them both and no more problems. The cost was $250 total for both parts.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Assuming the parking brake on the RT works similar to the F3 parking brakes..........

There is a cable running along the right rear of the swing arm frame. It hooks up to the rear wheel brake on the right side. Any cables contained inside a sheath is subject to get dirt and debris inside. The dirt in the brake cable would restrict cable movement and eventually cause corrosion over time. Where the cable is located, it is subject to a lot of water and mud splashing on it in wet weather. If the cable does not move freely inside the protective sheath, it could cause problems releasing the parking brake.

Also inspect the cable for any mashed places where road hazards might have struck it, or any other obvious signs of damage.

Not sure that would be the problem, but it is something to look at if you are having a problem.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I had hoped that replacing the left hand multifunction switch would have solved the issue of my parking brake not releasing, but alas, not to be. Went to the store this morning and when I came out, the brake refused to release. I tried slightly rolling on the throttle in first gear, then in reverse and again in first gear and the brake released, though the light kept flashing. Even still, the bike rode as normal. Any ideas?
    I have had similar warnings from the computer..... but the Brakes weren't engaged. .... and I could push the Spyder while the computer indicated they were on ..... The Bosche system can and does do some remarkable things, but in many area's the computers Over-lap each other. And create " false positives " ...... This makes it very difficult for Tech's to make an accurate diagnosis of any problems ..... JMHO .... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you had the dealer check things out with BUDS? I think the Windshield/Parking Brake module, WPM, may have a problem.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2022 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Winshield - Windshield ;-)

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Is the motor trying to turn; what, if anything, are you hearing when you hit the switch?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2022 at 07:11 AM. Reason: .... any - anything .... ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Is the motor trying to turn; what, if anything, are you hearing when you hit the switch?
    Ordinarily when the parking brake releases I can hear a very slight hum or hissing sound (not sure if those are very descriptive) and the bike will nudge every so slightly, which indicates to me the brake has been released. When this problem manifests itself I hear nothing, just the red parking brake light will immediately begin to flash indicating to me the brake has not released. After some manipulation, I can feel the bike again nudge ever so slightly and I know the brake has released, though the parking brake light continues to blink on and off.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Have you had the cover off and watched the drum on the motor, to see if it's hitting the micro switches? My brake was acting up and I found that some one hadn't tighten one of the two bolts that hold the motor in, and the brake wouldn't set! Had to replace the lost bolt and nut!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Have you had the cover off and watched the drum on the motor, to see if it's hitting the micro switches? My brake was acting up and I found that some one hadn't tighten one of the two bolts that hold the motor in, and the brake wouldn't set! Had to replace the lost bolt and nut!!
    No I haven't yet. This is an intermittent problem, it only happens every now and then.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look to see if it’s releasing. If it is check the switches along that cable and motor. If cable not moving I would suspect a motor?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Look to see if it’s releasing. If it is check the switches along that cable and motor. If cable not moving I would suspect a motor?
    Next time it happens I'll give a shot and see what happens. Thanks guys.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Believe there a switch by the cable or caliper in the rear and a switch in or by the motor.

I know theres one by the motor thought I seen one by the rear brake caliper too??
    Last edited by trikermutha; 09-02-2022 at 12:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

In doing some research I came across a BRP Warranty Bulletin, # 2019-9 effecting 2018-2019 Can Am Spyder F3 and RT's that the parking brake does not disengage. It is a warranty issue that calls for the parking brake motor to be replaced. I have an appointment tp bring my Spyder back into the dealership on the 14th of Oct to have the issue addressed. I'm guessing if I could find this bulletin without much trouble, they should be able to also. Time will tell.

page 1.jpg

page 2.jpg
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Print that out and take a copy with you. It might save you some trouble.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

In doing some research I came across a BRP Warranty Bulletin, # 2019-9 effecting 2018-2019 Can Am Spyder F3 and RT's that the parking brake does not disengage. It is a warranty issue that calls for the parking brake motor to be replaced. I have an appointment tp bring my Spyder back into the dealership on the 14th of Oct to have the issue addressed. I'm guessing if I could find this bulletin without much trouble, they should be able to also. Time will tell.
    Good for you Greg! It stinks that you would have to go find something like this yourself but good thing you did. Your dealer certainly should have had some idea of this bulletin but I suppose that is irrelevant at this point. Looks like you are finally going to get that sucker fixed.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Good for you Greg! It stinks that you would have to go find something like this yourself but good thing you did. Your dealer certainly should have had some idea of this bulletin but I suppose that is irrelevant at this point. Looks like you are finally going to get that sucker fixed.
    That's what I'm hoping for.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

page 1.jpg

page 2.jpg
    Failed parking brake actuators are not a unique problem to those model years. From 2014 on, some have had the parking brake fail to adequately hold the machine from moving. Others do not release. Kind of a random issue and not all have an issue.

Hopefully, since Spyder production has ceased while they build sleds, maybe your wait for the part will be short.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Hopefully, since Spyder production has ceased while they build sleds, maybe your wait for the part will be short.
    Lets hope so. My last wait was 10 months.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired