Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is this Service Contract worth it? Any advice?

My dealership is offering a 3 yr service contract (includes non warranty repairs) for $3500. The catch? Has to be bought before the first oil change. Expect to ryde a minimum of 5k to 8k miles a year. Does their price seem reasonable or is it even worth it? I'm not sure about doing oil changes myself or any other "service" stuff. Any advice? Please?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2022 at 12:40 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2to3 View Post
    My dealership is offering a 3 yr service contract (includes non warranty repairs) for $3500. The catch? Has to be bought before the first oil change. Expect to ryde a minimum of 5k to 8k miles a year. Does their price seem reasonable or is it even worth it? I'm not sure about doing oil changes myself or any other "service" stuff. Any advice?
    Does it cover normal wear items, like tires?

Are you likely to stay close to home, so you can have all service work done at this particular dealer?

In 24k miles (3 years), your routine maintenance items will be 3 oil changes and maybe a brake flush. You will have 2 new rear tires. That's probably $1000 total, so $3500 sounds kinda pricey to me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yea, I was totaling it up also. Sounds like a great deal for the dealer but not so good for the customer. JMHO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems way to high. Let’s say oil change is around 200 bucks. I’m the next 3 years what really is next the him filter. Maybe a few rear tires.

Factory warranty is probably all you will need .

Your choice. I would shop around if you can too.

Spyder Garage

Tell the dealership to put the service contract in the outhouse with the rest of the ****!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I agree with what has been said above. Oil is $180-200 typically if done by dealers so 3 times or $600. 2 tires which are $250-$300 (tire and install) so another $500-$600. The catch will be if you get the 28K service with him for free. That usually runs around $1000 for brake, coolant, HCM, etc im guessing more if plugs are done which I am guessing would be another $500. So your at lets say $2200 total plus maybe another $500 for plug job? Not close to $3500. No deal! Only thing I can see puttin gover the top would be new brakes at 28K but still that won’t cost $700 at a dealer. Buy the gold plug type of drain plug, buy the HCM/ filters and oil from Baja Ron, Buy new brake pads from Baja Ron, buy brake bleeders, buy the amazon collect clips and honestly all 5 jobs are pretty easy. The nice thing about doing the oil change yourself is “you” remove all the plastic, wipe and spray everything down while it’s stripped and it doesn’t take that long. Great end of the season or beginning of season day. Gives you and excuse to buy a “good” set of 1/4 drive tools in a small box dedicated just for the spyder. Honestly even if you bought pure snapon stuff, which im not saying to do but seem to be the most expensive, for every part of the job, you still wouldn’t make the $3500 if you did it yourself and you have the tools forever vs having to buy later “after” the 3 years. Just my opinion. $3500 is to high.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-29-2022 at 07:27 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with everyone who thinks this deal . S*CKS ...... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Another card on the pile. And they are pushy about it. I am guessing they are also recommending a 600 mile oil change. If this is the case....be very careful with that dealer. The first oil change is recommended (per the manual) at 3,500. After that, once a year or 9,500 miles whichever comes first.

BRP BEST warranty is recommend if you must. If you shop around you can find it for $671 for three years. Try iMotorsports and Tim Palmer. I am guessing your current dealer will want about $2K for the same.

Any Spyder dealer will honor the contract.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-29-2022 at 12:57 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone...I felt like $3500 was waaay too high. But please clarify? I've read (somewhere) that the 1st oil change should be done at 600 miles....I'm a little confused about this. Every other [new] bike I've had, 1st change was 600. I live in a rural area & it's a 200 mile round trip to anywhere, any direction, so the miles add up quickly. I can likely do oil changes myself; I just don't want to goof anything up....this 2022 F3L will be my last bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm with the other opinions here, it's 'what ifs' along with the cost factor. What if this dealer goes belly up, or sells the biz, what if you decide to move somewhere? Cheers and may you make the 'best' decision. Remember, those $ can buy a lot of fuel. :-)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone...I felt like $3500 was waaay too high. But please clarify? I've read (somewhere) that the 1st oil change should be done at 600 miles....I'm a little confused about this. Every other [new] bike I've had, 1st change was 600. I live in a rural area & it's a 200 mile round trip to anywhere, any direction, so the miles add up quickly. I can likely do oil changes myself; I just don't want to goof anything up....this 2022 F3L will be my last bike.
    The first oil change is at 3,000 miles. After that it is every 9200 miles (or 9300, I can't remember), or once per season.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

If you do the oil early ....it's great preventative maintenance ..... I did mine very early also .... WHY .... because 95% of all the crap in the engine is going to show up - starting right after you begin using your Spyder ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2022 at 09:56 AM. Reason: W#HY

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good advice Mike, I think you do yours every 6K. Geezer rider that I am, that's about yearly for me, so it works out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Good advice Mike, I think you do yours every 6K. Geezer rider that I am, that's about yearly for me, so it works out.
    Thanks .... when I was riding more per season, I would change the oil at about 4000 mi. ( but not the filter ) ....Now that I'm only going about 6,000 per season I just do it once....... Mike

Spyder Garage

update: not too much better, but now the dealership is quoting a price of $2600. includes all parts & labor for 3 yrs. no matter how often I take the bike in. excludes battery, belts & tires. checked with another dealership (farther away) & they quoted $899 for lifetime oil changes including parts & labor.....looks reasonable to me...what do ya think?
    Last edited by 2to3; 08-30-2022 at 02:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

If I were in your shoes, I would get the 3 year BEST warranty extension giving you a full 5 years coverage from the date the bike was put into service. You can get it from imotorsports or Sierra cycles for a total cost of $671.00 and it is honored at any Spyder dealer. But the warranty does not cover wear items like tires or oil/filter changes. The price quoted for lifetime oil changes is reasonable providing they do a complete oil/filter change each time. It's easy to calculate it's value. Plan on spending $200 per year for those changes if you ride like most of us do. However, if you are inclined to do your own oil, then it is an unnecessary waste of money.

If you decide to do your first oil/filter before the required 3,000-mile change, you're only getting ahead of the requirement. Your choice. Under any circumstance, do not let any dealer try to just change oil by sucking it out of the dip stick tube. That inadequate procedure has been discussed on the forum several times. It DOES NOT comply with warranty requirements. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

update: not too much better, but now the dealership is quoting a price of $2600. includes all parts & labor for 3 yrs. no matter how often I take the bike in. excludes battery, belts & tires. checked with another dealership (farther away) & they quoted $899 for lifetime oil changes including parts & labor.....looks reasonable to me...what do ya think?
    these contracts are MAINTENENCE contracts, not warranty contracts / work. If your not able to do simple oil changes ( air filter, spark plugs, etc...when proper mileage rolls by), then let dealership do them for MORE money. If your going to keep Spyder, you might come close to using that money. If you sell these type of main contract are not able to assign to new owner.
    Why don't you just contact the dealership WHEN you want work done? Then you know your NOT wasting the money
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So for just a oil and filter change for lifetime is $899 , the way I read your post. So that should get your investment back after around 4-5 oil and filter changes. Hopefully they are honest and do the work.

Then there is the warranty for the rest of the Spyder. Imotorsports is $671 I believe. That would be the one that you will need the most. Oil and filter changes are last. But if that what you want then got for it. And if you plan on keeping the Spyder a long time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    So for just a oil and filter change for lifetime is $899 , the way I read your post. So that should get your investment back after around 4-5 oil and filter changes. Hopefully they are honest and do the work.

Then there is the warranty for the rest of the Spyder. Imotorsports is $671 I believe. That would be the one that you will need the most. Oil and filter changes are last. But if that what you want then got for it. And if you plan on keeping the Spyder a long time.
    That's exactly the way I'm thinking. Yes, I'll be keeping the Spyder for a long time; I do have a 2 yr window to buy the B.E.S.T. warranty since it's a 2022 model. In the meantime, maintenance is pretty doggone important. I was taught long ago that oil changes are vital for any engine; the "Lube for Life" plan seems reasonable.
    Thanks to everyone who provided advice & insight. This is a great forum!

Spyder Garage

update: not too much better, but now the dealership is quoting a price of $2600. includes all parts & labor for 3 yrs. no matter how often I take the bike in. excludes battery, belts & tires.

checked with another dealership (farther away) & they quoted $899 for lifetime oil changes including parts & labor.....looks reasonable to me...what do ya think?
    Just curious...
    ... is the maintenance contract transferrable to a new owner of the bike?
    ... what happens if this dealer goes out of business?
    ... would you just totally lose the contract?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-31-2022 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Fixed color so all can read blocks of text!
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I've decided (with everyone's help & input) to pass on the so called service contract...way too much $ and valid concerns about losing a lot of dinero if the dealer goes out of business (it's a dealership only plan). Gonna go with the other dealer's "Lube for Life" ...seems like a fair deal for me. Will buy the BEST warranty before original expires from either Sierra Cycles or imotorsports. And, the bike is insured, so I don't really need the "service" contract. Took awhile to figure all this out...guess I've got a foggy senior brain. Thanks all for seeing me thru this journey.

Spyder Garage

I've decided (with everyone's help & input) to pass on the so called service contract...way too much $ and valid concerns about losing a lot of dinero if the dealer goes out of business (it's a dealership only plan). Gonna go with the other dealer's "Lube for Life" ...seems like a fair deal for me. Will buy the BEST warranty before original expires from either Sierra Cycles or imotorsports. And, the bike is insured, so I don't really need the "service" contract. Took awhile to figure all this out...guess I've got a foggy senior brain. Thanks all for seeing me thru this journey.
    That 'Lube for Life' thing is also just another way of getting you to give the dealer/a dealer more money for jam! There's no way the dealer (any dealer) is giving anything away, so I'd suggest you VERY CAREFULLY read the fine print in the offer, cos there's absofreakinlutely NO WAY the dealer/any dealer will be giving away any Lube jobs!! . Their intent with these things and other 'add-ons' like like 'Paint Protection' treatments or those other dealer's Service Contract etc is to boost the amount of free money they take from you and put straight into their profits - almost always, those 'add-on schemes' are pure profit for the dealer & pure loss for the sucke.... errrm, the unsuspecting buyer!

You've got the original warranty to cover any drastic failures; buy the BEST Warranty before the original expires from someone like iMotorsports (costs $671 atm, not anything over $1000 or even $2000) cos it is effectively an OEM Warranty Extension, and keep the rest of your hard earned where it can serve you best, in YOUR pocket!

Don't waste your money on buying anything else besides the BEST Warranty! If you feel you must spend more money now, don't throw it away on other questionable stuff designed to lighten your pocket & line the dealer's, just buy the BEST Warranty now to lock in the price & effectively extend your Warranty coverage out to the maximum of 5 years; then once you get your Spyder, simply follow the Golden Rule.......

Wait for it; waaaaiiit for it ........

RYDE MORE, WORRY LESS!

Still, when it all comes down to the nitty gritty, it's your money, & it's your Spyder, so you can do with either/both as you will - but remember, anything 'extra' you spend now will mean you won't be able to spend that money later on important things, like farkling or ryding... . Besides, if you really feel the need to toss away some money for questionable benefit, there's lotsa other ways to do it..... . Just gimme a yell, I'm sure I could help you with that...

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-31-2022 at 03:56 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Buy only extended warranties and only the ones that come from the manufacturer. Don’t buy any off brand warranty. I am a retired new car dealer and have seen many disappointed customers who bought off brand warranties.
    Service contracts are not necessary. Especially for that outrageous price you were quoted.
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Ya'all have made me see the light...BEST warranty ( I was gonna do anyway) and forget the rest. The "lifetime" oil changes probably don't make that much sense at my age...maybe if I was younger....sigh.... But I really don't think I can do oil changes myself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That 'Lube for Life' thing is also just another way of getting you to give the dealer/a dealer more money for jam! There's no way the dealer (any dealer) is giving anything away, so I'd suggest you VERY CAREFULLY read the fine print in the offer, cos there's absofreakinlutely NO WAY the dealer/any dealer will be giving away any Lube jobs!! . Their intent with these things and other 'add-ons' like like 'Paint Protection' treatments or those other dealer's Service Contract etc is to boost the amount of free money they take from you and put straight into their profits - almost always, those 'add-on schemes' are pure profit for the dealer & pure loss for the sucke.... errrm, the unsuspecting buyer!

You've got the original warranty to cover any drastic failures; buy the BEST Warranty before the original expires from someone like iMotorsports (costs $671 atm, not anything over $1000 or even $2000) cos it is effectively an OEM Warranty Extension, and keep the rest of your hard earned where it can serve you best, in YOUR pocket!

Don't waste your money on buying anything else besides the BEST Warranty! If you feel you must spend more money now, don't throw it away on other questionable stuff designed to lighten your pocket & line the dealer's, just buy the BEST Warranty now to lock in the price & effectively extend your Warranty coverage out to the maximum of 5 years; then once you get your Spyder, simply follow the Golden Rule.......

Wait for it; waaaaiiit for it ........

RYDE MORE, WORRY LESS!

Still, when it all comes down to the nitty gritty, it's your money, & it's your Spyder, so you can do with either/both as you will - but remember, anything 'extra' you spend now will mean you won't be able to spend that money later on important things, like farkling or ryding... . Besides, if you really feel the need to toss away some money for questionable benefit, there's lotsa other ways to do it..... . Just gimme a yell, I'm sure I could help you with that...

Just Sayin'
    ..... and let me tell you what happened to me at a Stealership ..... I've told this story before but it has been years ago,..... so for the Newbie's out here ...... I bought a used 08 GS ( in 09 ) I didn't know squat about Spyders .... but I had previous bad experiences at other Auto dealerships ..... So BRP issues a warranty recall on the DPS units .... Fine I make an appointment for that and to have an oil service done ..... I know what can happen to Tupperware when it's taken off or put on carelessly , so I removed everything around the DPS unit so they wouldn't have to ..... Because of my Mis-trust I scratched an " X " on the DPS, after I get the bike back I looked at the DPS unit and didn't see an " X " on it so I felt it was a new unit. I also felt the Tech who brought it out wasn't very happy, nor was the service manager when I went in to pay...... After I got home ( 35 mi. ) the spyder seemed to be " not quite right " .... So I checked the oil .... well it 1 quart too much and the color was quite dark. .... lesson learned - my Spyders ( 3 ) have NEVER been back to that dealership. I read in the paper a few weeks later about some acts of " vandalism " that had occurred at that very dealership ...... ..... Mike