Spyder Garage

Default VSS Fault at first power-up - anyone else?? Normal??

Hey all - just brought home a new (to me) 2021 RT-L with 1200 miles on it. It's been sitting at a dealer for a few months on a trickle charger after being traded in. Drove the bike home 150 miles with no issues.

The last few days when I first turn the key on, 1 out of 5 times it gives me a VSS Fault. For the first time today I got a VSS fault, started it up and it said Limp Home mode. In every case I turn the key off, wait a bit and start it up with no issues (including after the Limp Home warning).

I've searched the forums and also done a bunch of internet searching, and I'm thinking that the battery may be marginal after having sat for so long (the bike was in service as of October 21, so it's about 10 months old).

Before I pull the battery and have it tested, I just wanted to see if anyone else has this and if it's "normal" behavior.

Thanks!

Tom
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2022 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2021 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Did you look for the fault code? I do not know how to do it on the new console. I am sure someone will tell you how. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had this problem until I switched to a lithium battery. A low battery will cause a vss error on startup. I tried 2 new yuasa batteries and the issue continued when the bike sat for a week or two. No issues with my lithium battery.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Default Type?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I had this problem until I switched to a lithium battery. A low battery will cause a vss error on startup. I tried 2 new yuasa batteries and the issue continued when the bike sat for a week or two. No issues with my lithium battery.
    Do you happen to know the make/model of the battery? I'm sure I can find one but I'd rather go with a solid recommendation. Thanks
    2021 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

@safecracker - I checked the system - no codes recorded.
    2021 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Lamonster Garage sells the Motorbatt Battery for the Spyder. I have had one for over a year and no problems at all. Works good for me. I use the Deltran Jr battery charger /mantainer when ever the Spyder is going to set for a few days. I recommend this battery highly. .
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having the same issue on a 2022 RT and curious if you ever found something.

On mine, the start will be a little rough and the VSS fault goes away as soon as I release the parking brake. Battery shouldn't be an issue because it's new, and today it happened after I stopped for gas, so it should have been fully recharged.
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having the same issue on a 2022 RT and curious if you ever found something.

On mine, the start will be a little rough and the VSS fault goes away as soon as I release the parking brake. Battery shouldn't be an issue because it's new, and today it happened after I stopped for gas, so it should have been fully recharged.
    A new battery is no guarantee that the battery is good, you should still get it load tested, or at least check its voltage under starting load as you actually crank the battery! There are quite a few reports here on the Forum of BRAND NEW batteries either not being properly charged to start with, or failing on or soon after their first use! When you get a new battery, it SHOULD have been charged with a good charger for at least 8 hours before installation & connection - but if that didn't occur, your battery may not be up to snuff &/or it might fail rapidly.... so was your new battery fully charged immediately before installation?? And if it's just a new Spyder & OE Battery, how long did it sit around for quietly discharging before you bought it/anyone ran it?!?

You say this VSS fault also happened after you stopped for gas... but how long had you been riding before that?? Cos if it was run for anything less than about 30 minutes at highway speeds, there's a good chance that the charge system hadn't yet had time to fully replenish the charge depletion that occurred when you last started the Spyder - so depending upon how long & the revs you'd been running at, your new battery may well have been even more depleted than usual, and at least contributed to this problem!

So,

Step 1: CHECK THE BATTERY!

Ideally, get it properly load tested; but if you're doing it yourself with a multi-meter, check the voltage before you do anything with the Spyder after it's been standing for 8+ hours; then check it again once you turn the ignition on; then while it's actually cranking the battery; again at idle after the engine starts; and then finally once the engine's running at 2500 revs or more. If the voltage is or it drops below at least 12 volts at any of these stages, there's a good chance your battery is not up to the loads being placed on it by your power hungry Spyder, even if the battery is brand new!

Step 2: Check the Battery Terminals & every Earth connection you can find to make sure they're all clean & tight - and if you haven't got star washers on them, it's a good idea add them now! Poor battery &/or earth connections could cause enough voltage loss to result in this sort of failure/error until the system reaches charging voltage, or maybe it's a dirty switch &/or connection on the Foot Brake/Park Brake?? So check those connections/switches too!

Step 3: Check all the wheel speed sensors & wiring to make sure they are clean & undamaged.

A damaged or dirty wheel sensor, or even just a crimped or damaged/broken sensor wire could mean it's not sending the correct signal to the computers, and you're ending up with a VSS failure showing as a result - altho unless the battery is also a little weak, only a 'mildly dirty' sensor is likely to degrade the sensor signal juuust enough to cause an issue, yet still be up to giving you a good enough reading once the system voltage reaches charging levels!

From there on in, if you haven't resolved it already, then you are probably just going to hafta revert to standard troubleshooting mode in order to track down the cause of your issue; but my point here is that you really shouldn't ignore the battery as a potential cause just cos it's new - the number of people who've done this only to discover later that it was the 'new' battery all along would probably astound you - it's gotta be almost as many as those who've searched & chased everywhere trying to identify/remedy the cause of their steering concerns &/or vibration issues, looking everywhere BUT the OE Spec tires, only to eventually find that swapping out the Kendas for something else (what brand?? Well, pretty much ANYTHING else!) instantly resolved all those issues they'd been chasing thru every other possibility!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2022 at 05:33 PM. Reason: f - g ;-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments. I'd been on the freeway for about an hour when I stopped for gas--so battery depletion from the last start shouldn't have been an issue. But I'll get the battery load tested and I'll double check the connections are tight.

The weird thing is, every time I've gotten the fault is was when the machine was already warm. It's never happened from a cold start, even if it was sitting for a few days.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I'd been on the freeway for about an hour when I stopped for gas--so battery depletion from the last start shouldn't have been an issue. But I'll get the battery load tested and I'll double check the connections are tight.

The weird thing is, every time I've gotten the fault is was when the machine was already warm. It's never happened from a cold start, even if it was sitting for a few days.
    Our new 2022 RTL does the same too ! Its always after riding for a bit, Has done it about 3 times since we got ours. The only common factor I can see with ours was, I had my phone connected with XM radio playing out the stereo system loudly each time this happened.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Our new 2022 RTL does the same too ! Its always after riding for a bit, Has done it about 3 times since we got ours. The only common factor I can see with ours was, I had my phone connected with XM radio playing out the stereo system loudly each time this happened.
    That's interesting. Now I wonder if it ever did it before I connected my phone--maybe I'll keep my phone disconnected for a while to see if that does anything. So far the only thing I've noticed is it turns off when I release the parking brake.

I'll be taking mine for the 3,000 mile service after the holidays and I'll ask them to look at that. If they find anything, I'll be sure to share.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I’ve gotten this fault a few times recently and in my case I think I’ve connected it to exiting the roadway in to gas station or into a parking lot at a fairly high rate of speed, hit a little loose gravel while braking and I get the fault. The loose gravel was so insignificant that I hardly noticed but I think it is just enough to trigger the fault.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Had the VSS fault code twice now. Both times at cold start up and then after a few seconds, goes away. Had my oil changed yesterday and the dealership said it was caused by low brake fluid. In reading several of the previous posts, I see brakes come up several times. I thought at first it was my battery, but now hope it was just low brake fluid. Will keep an eye and report back if I get the code again.