Spyder Garage

Unhappy A Word of Caution about Tricled Fender Lighting Mods

Hello Spyder Owners,

I just finished installing a bunch of lighting mods. I’m having a lot of regret about tackling the front fender mods and the lights that tie into it like the A-Arm lights.

I was able to get everything done. The wiring that came with the kit is a little sketchy with no heat tape over the connectors and wiring. One popped out during install and Slingmods was great and sending a replacement from the manufacturer. The new one did have the reinforced connectors which were much sturdier. I wish all my wiring had that. (I did try to DIY the heat shrink tape after the fact, but it didn’t help much since it really should have been done before the end connectors were installed.

I took my time and zip tied the heck out of the cables to be sure nothing was loose. I must have done something wrong as the lights stopped working on the right side. I took it apart and found the OEM power cable connector must have been rubbing against the tire and it wore through and shorted out.

There is only about ⅜” inch tolerance between the fender and the tire. I can just fit my finger between the fender and tire. When you try to put this plastic connector there, it is just too big. I’m guessing I was supposed to somehow keep all the connectors up under the plastic fender cover, however there is a lot of wiring to stuff in there. I ended up having to leave the ends of the harness just outside of it.

If you decide to attempt this install, I highly recommend that you find a way to not have any connectors outside the plastic cover.
    2022 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could not put the wires and connector under the cover on the fender? I dont have a 22 but do have a 14 and all my wires are under the cover on the top.

Spyder Garage

This is why I trust my own wiring plans rather than rely on some "kit" from a company that may or may not be aware of the space limitations involved on every machine they provide lighting kits for.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree there's too much excess wire. I shortened mine.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPaul View Post
    Hello Spyder Owners,

I just finished installing a bunch of lighting mods. I’m having a lot of regret about tackling the front fender mods and the lights that tie into it like the A-Arm lights.

I was able to get everything done. The wiring that came with the kit is a little sketchy with no heat tape over the connectors and wiring. One popped out during install and Slingmods was great and sending a replacement from the manufacturer. The new one did have the reinforced connectors which were much sturdier. I wish all my wiring had that. (I did try to DIY the heat shrink tape after the fact, but it didn’t help much since it really should have been done before the end connectors were installed.

I took my time and zip tied the heck out of the cables to be sure nothing was loose. I must have done something wrong as the lights stopped working on the right side. I took it apart and found the OEM power cable connector must have been rubbing against the tire and it wore through and shorted out.

There is only about ⅜” inch tolerance between the fender and the tire. I can just fit my finger between the fender and tire. When you try to put this plastic connector there, it is just too big. I’m guessing I was supposed to somehow keep all the connectors up under the plastic fender cover, however there is a lot of wiring to stuff in there. I ended up having to leave the ends of the harness just outside of it.

If you decide to attempt this install, I highly recommend that you find a way to not have any connectors outside the plastic cover.
    HI,

Which spyder model do you have?

What year is your spyder?

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 I installed the lighting on the front fenders

There is not much clearance under the front fenders.

The wires were taped under the front fenders.

Look at MY Albums for pictures.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I installed the tricled lights on my 2020 and there's no way the tire can rub the wiring on mine.

I loosened the metal strip that runs about halfway from the front to the rear of the fender, then put the wires under this strip and used wire ties to secure them into place, retightened the strip and all is good.

The wires are small and prone to breakage.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Put them on a 2020 and a 2022 for friends. Followed the video. No problems yet..
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

We did dads new RT with them. Besides an inch long led strip that blinks when it gets hot, which seems to be the norm with the new series, its almost the same as the old RT version. Use electrical tape and tape the excess to the plastic just to hold it till everything is tightened, shorten/cut the wire no need for 5’. Trace the wires as they already come from the A-Arm. There are little metal clips simply tuck the thin yellow wire behind the clips and use a tiny zip tie at each clip. I also cut the tiny yellow wire and replaced with a thicker 16 gauge black wire running to the mirror. Used one of lamonster mirror splitters and bugged a clip on the end of the new black wire instead of the tongue clip they supply. Simple plug and play now.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I installed the tricled lights on my 2020 and there's no way the tire can rub the wiring on mine.

I loosened the metal strip that runs about halfway from the front to the rear of the fender, then put the wires under this strip and used wire ties to secure them into place, retightened the strip and all is good.

The wires are small and prone to breakage.
    Same here although I put heat shrink on all of the LED's where the wires connect to them. I slid the heat shrink on from the LED end, not the connector end. I used 8mm I think. No problems fitting the wiring under the cover on my 2022 RTL.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2022 at 11:59 PM. Reason: CapsC ;-)
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!