Spyder Garage

Default Does UHaul rent a trailer to tow a Spyder?

Does UHaul rent a trailer that can be used to load and tow a Spyder a couple hundred miles?

Doesn't matter it is in open or enclosed.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

Due to the width of the front, you will need to rent a 6 foot wide by 10 foot long trailer. An open trailer will be fine. I am in North Carolina and recently bought a 2015 F3S that was a couple of hundred miles away in South Carolina. I tried all the UHaul, Tractor Supply, and many trailer retailers within a fifty mile radius. Most didn’t rent. UHaul had only 5 foot wide. Every Tractor Supply had an excuse. Checked Craigslist for people that rent their trailers. Only found one and it was booked for a couple of weeks. Ended up driving the trike back home which was fun.
    2015 F3S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Does UHaul rent a trailer that can be used to load and tow a Spyder a couple hundred miles?

Unless things have changed with them, u-haul doesn't really offer a viable option for this, the main problem being the lack of a loading ramp.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Consider posting a new thread asking for help from anyone in your area with a Spyder-hauling trailer.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post

I was unable to locate a suitable trailer rental from any rental company. I'm sure you could find a big flatbed car hauler that would work providing you have a hefty enough vehicle to pull it. The flooring of an enclosed Uhaul is not sturdy enough to support a bike...... unless they've changed a lot since I tried loading my Goldwing in one many years ago. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I just rented a 6 x 12 from uhaul with an 1100 lb rated ramp to haul my new spyder back from Denver, worked fine, cost was 49 dollars a day, Tim

Spyder Garage

Used a UHaul 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer to haul a ‘15 F3-S. Just make sure you get one with the double-doors, and NOT the roll-up door. Will need some ramps to help load/unload (we had them, bike dealer had them, as well). $30 a day, if you bring it back where you got it from.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When we bought my wife's RT a couple of years ago, we rented a 6x12 open U-Haul. They have two versions of this trailer. One has a "loading ramp", but it's way too steep for a Spyder. Another negative is even more definitive, there are gussets at the back that narrow the actual opening to about 5 feet. The other 6x12 has a short tailgate that can be lowered. You WILL need loading ramps. Fortunately, I have a pair of folding 11-foot ramps, and had to make a third one (that was a bit shorter) for the rear tire.

I also had a 2x4 that went across the trailer ahead of the front wheels to help keep the bike from moving forward. I used ratchet straps through the front wheels to the two front corner hooks inside the trailer. I ran two straps through the rear wheel to the two rear hooks. The Spyder did not move during the 350-mile trip.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    When we bought my wife's RT a couple of years ago, we rented a 6x12 open U-Haul. They have two versions of this trailer. One has a "loading ramp", but it's way too steep for a Spyder. Another negative is even more definitive, there are gussets at the back that narrow the actual opening to about 5 feet. The other 6x12 has a short tailgate that can be lowered. You WILL need loading ramps. Fortunately, I have a pair of folding 11-foot ramps, and had to make a third one (that was a bit shorter) for the rear tire.

I also had a 2x4 that went across the trailer ahead of the front wheels to help keep the bike from moving forward. I used ratchet straps through the front wheels to the two front corner hooks inside the trailer. I ran two straps through the rear wheel to the two rear hooks. The Spyder did not move during the 350-mile trip.

Maybe provide a link to the specific U-haul trailer you say would solve his problem?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is the link to the 6 X 12 with a loading ramp. If the angle of the trailer ramp is too steep just back it up to a grassy hill or drainage ditch (not too steep of a ditch though) to lessen the angle on the ramp

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-...amp-Rental/HO/

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Some 2x6's will suffice as loading ramps for the front tires if trailer ramp is steep. I use them to load my wife's F3 onto my 6.5x14 landscape trailer. Basically, to clear the bottom of the front end when going up the trailer ramp.
    Disclaimer- Do not use boards as full-length ramps for loading onto none built in ramp trailers or pickups.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium