Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Guys I wanted to pass something on a dealer told me today that some are thinking may be causing these problems.

"Some dealers are downloading the software in a bundle I.E. ECM data and steering system data etc in one package, and then uploading everything into each system, they said everything they have been told is the software packages are to be kept separate I believe they said three and then uploaded individually."

Maybe this is the reason why some people’s updates are fine and others are completely causing havoc!

Just thought I would throw that out for what it’s worth.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Good to know - I will mention that to my dealer. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
    Guys I wanted to pass something on a dealer told me today that some are thinking may be causing these problems.

"Some dealers are downloading the software in a bundle I.E. ECM data and steering system data etc in one package, and then uploading everything into each system, they said everything they have been told is the software packages are to be kept separate I believe they said three and then uploaded individually."

Maybe this is the reason why some people’s updates are fine and others are completely causing havoc!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Good to know - I will mention that to my dealer. Thank you!
    Think Bob already nows this thank GOD he is a Geek
    Compliment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post

welcome

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, we are lucky to have him - I think he knows the most out of all dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Think Bob already nows this thank GOD he is a Geek
    Compliment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    I understand that if the update procedure is not followed to the letter, it will not be properly installed, which could lead to these kinds of problems. I have had absolutely no steering issues following either update, and the second update cured the rough running/surging problem between 3000 and 4000 rpm that I was experiencing. As it stands now, I have never had a sweeter running machine than my Spyder.

Bruce
    Ditto for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3069 View Post
    Ditto for me.
    Me too !!!
    After the first update, I had the surging problem.........and it was completely cured with the second update !!

Runs like it did when it was new !! I love it !!!

(Of course, my dealer (Bradford Marine, Sherwood, AR) has a most competent and attentive service staff and takes excellent care of my Spyder !! )
    Last edited by Jeaux; 10-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Same cold outside condition (low 40's), same speed (70-75mph), except steering lock-up in opposite direction and slightly different-no drifting.

Lane bending to the right and bike did not want to go right - stuck - quick sharp force ("jerk") of handlebars required to turn right and then (of course) had to correct to left in order to stay in lane. Happened over and over again on this ride home - exactly the same way.

If going to the left all was great.

Yes I have just recently had both updates.

My next night ride over this same route, temperature only in the 50s, and the Spyder drove normally.

Could be temperature/speed related or random. Time will tell since lower temperatures are coming but for the next few days a heat wave is here.
    It was in the low 40's when mine did it too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    I am almost scared to get mine updated now!
    Me too. I held off on update #1 until I got back from TN. Then I heard about update #2 and decided maybe now that I am back I can get it taken care of. I even scheduled an appointment.... I think I am going to cancel. I have 22K miles and I have zero problems with my DPS.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

PE-1294
    Spyder Garage

It was 51 F when my problem happened and raining. I mentioned the temp to BRP but I don't know if that should or would make a difference.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

They asked me the temp question too - it was warm when mine happened.

HDX and I were talking tonight- we've all had steering issues and all are not the same issues. Like some steering quits working and starts again, some just locks (like mine did) so I wonder that if these problems are different, would it be the same thing causing it? Should be interesting to see how all this unfolds.

It could be a bad dps and even if people had it replaced and it happened even AFTER the replacement, could have been a bad batch of dps's that got made. Cuz some people have had no problem. OR it could be something getting "caught" - at least that is what mine felt like. Could be a bad bolt, a bad bearing - who knows. Gonna be interesting though.

Quote Originally Posted by pitmon View Post
    It was 51 F when my problem happened and raining. I mentioned the temp to BRP but I don't know if that should or would make a difference.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if some part of the steering assist is made in china?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The only issue I have had with my 09 SE5 was the surging between 3000 and 4000 rpms, and a bad vibration at the same time. The second update corrected that, and the bike is running great now. They also replaced my Gear Positioning Sensor at the same time.

It took our dealer a little longer to install the second update than they anticipated. It appears that when they upgraded BUDS, the hardware to connect to the bike was not being properly recognized and kept causing problems. I believe they had to download 3 separate drivers for the hardware, and then they were able to follow the update procedure.

I am also wondering if it is only to 2008 models that this steering issue is happening on?

To those who are experiencing the problems, I truly feel for you and hope they will get it resolved quickly so you can be back out on the road and enjoying the ride as much as I do.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Could very well be. Maybe it's parts from vendors that are made poorly (and like you said, could be imported from China). If that's the case, BRP is gonna have to upgrade these parts no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ferno View Post
    I wonder if some part of the steering assist is made in china?

Way2Fast

Could very well be. Maybe it's parts from vendors that are made poorly (and like you said, could be imported from China). If that's the case, BRP is gonna have to upgrade these parts no doubt.
    Better keep an eye on the Chinese valve stems that hold air in the Chinese made tires that are mounted on the cast aluminum rims that also come from China. It is a known fact that inferior rubber had been used in valve stems from China that has been responsible for sudden tire deflation and roll overs among automobiles.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Anything from China will break sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    Better keep an eye on the Chinese valve stems that hold air in the Chinese made tires that are mounted on the cast aluminum rims that also come from China. It is a known fact that inferior rubber had been used in valve stems from China that has been responsible for sudden tire deflation and roll overs among automobiles.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Anything from China will break sooner than later.
    Anything from anywhere will break sooner or later.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Breaks quicker from China NEVER shop at the $1 store - most everything is from China and the toothpaste has lead in it and will kill you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't remeber where I saw it but somewhere there was information on the company that made the power steering unit. However I'm not so sure from what I have been reading that the power steering unit itself is to blame in most cases. It could very wll be a sensor issue or system loosing it's calibration. The power steering unit only knows where the wheel is based on the sensor data, if the data is incorrect the steering unit doesn't know where the wheel is or which way you are turning and would act erratically. Also I don't think the power steering system shuts down even after 30mph. It seems a system like this always monitors the steering, it just doesn't start assisting again unit you get the the threshold speed but its always active just in different states. If your remember how bad the TPS sensor messed with people, a tiny little thing made it seem like there was seriouse issues when it was just one tiny device. I could be wrong but this is my theory however I never had any steering issue yet, and if I did I would pull the DPS fuse and still ride till I can get to the dealer.

Spyder Garage

It's my understanding, after speaking w/a knowledgeable source, that the power steering disengages above 60 mph. Stands to reason that at higher speeds a tighter steering response would be desirable for safety reasons.

If that's true, the DPS shouldn't be an issue at high rates of speed; unless, there's a mechanical (or software) component malfunctioning.

Supposing the power steering is disengaged, is it possible that irregular tire wear, loose suspension, etc. may be contributing to the erratic turns?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    It's my understanding, after speaking w/a knowledgeable source, that the power steering disengages above 60 mph. Stands to reason that at higher speeds a tighter steering response would be desirable for safety reasons.

If that's true, the DPS shouldn't be an issue at high rates of speed; unless, there's a mechanical (or software) component malfunctioning.

Supposing the power steering is disengaged, is it possible that irregular tire wear, loose suspension, etc. may be contributing to the erratic turns?
    Disengages doesn't mean power off. Im pretty sure all the eletronics are still active and monitor so it can kick in when the speed drops to the threshold. It's the same thing as in cars, when you start it up all systems turn on and do a selfcheck, no system turnes off while driving and then back on again, they are all active some are in a monitor state such as cruise control when your not using it, the circuit is still on just in stand by state till you push the button.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lightman02 View Post
    Disengages doesn't mean power off. Im pretty sure all the eletronics are still active and monitor so it can kick in when the speed drops to the threshold. It's the same thing as in cars, when you start it up all systems turn on and do a selfcheck, no system turnes off while driving and then back on again, they are all active some are in a monitor state such as cruise control when your not using it, the circuit is still on just in stand by state till you push the button.
    Not sure what your point is here (no offense.) I didn't say, nor imply, the DPS powers off.

I agree with your statement that the electronics continue to monitor, and it does re-engage once the speed drops below the threshold.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

the toothpaste has lead in it and will kill you.
    Let's stick to the facts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    Let's stick to the facts
    Lead in consumer's products article.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    OK, actually it was diethylene glycol but I stand corrected. That'll teach me to Google before posting!