Spyder Garage

Question Is it possible to drain oil thru dip-stick oil pump to change oil on Spyder?

is it possible to get the oil out of where the dip stick in a spyder rt 2021

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancer View Post
    This is not a recommended method - PERIOD .... it will not get the SLUDGE from the bottom of the sump ...... EASY is not always a good idea ..... this is one of them ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Absolutely not. The 1330 is a dry sump engine with an integrated oil tank. Your dipstick reads the oil in the tank. If you wait more than the recommended time to check your oil level, (2 minutes after shutdown), the oil will have started draining back out of the tank. All of the oil will drain out of the tank after a few minutes. There are two drain plugs. One for the engine and one for the clutch. Think about it, if the oil didn't all drain out of the tank, you wouldn't know how much you got out during an oil change. This is also why your dipstick will show no oil if you check it cold. A siphon tube shoved into the dipstick tube will only go as far as the empty tank.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Many dealers are doing this now. Bad idea. It doesn't get the worst of the crud out of the engine and leaves the dry sump (which isn't really dry at all) full of oil. Another downside to having the dealer do an oil change (besides the cost) is that they almost always let your machine sit for some time before draining. Which give the contaminants time to settle out and the oil to cool so it does not run as freely as it would hot.

Not trying to make those who get their service done at the dealer feel bad. I understand. Just that if you can do your own oil service, you will probably do a better job and get it done for less.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-26-2022 at 02:52 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancer View Post
    The correct way to change your Spyder Oil is to remove the oil drain plugs. Hot oil is best and be careful, the HOT oil will burn you. Been there and done it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2023 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Many dealers are doing this now. Bad idea. Not trying to make those who gets their service done at the dealer feel bad. I understand. Just that if you can do your own oil service, you will probably do a better job and get it done for less.
    Good Grief. Dealers / Techs pretending to be a Proctologist instead of a competent mechanic who isn't afraid to pick a wrench and remove two itty bitty sump plugs. What next? Dam Cowboys I reckon. Spose their favorite tool is a rattle gun. I do have one but use it only when all else fails.

If you have not the tools , well pick some up. They will pay for themselves many times over. True story here. 47 years ago two of my Fitter and Turner apprentice mates took me to a quality tool shop and cleaned out my bank account. Selected some tools to get me started. Naturally I have added to the selection along the way and picked up tools as required. I still use the socket set and other tools I got back then today. I pick up some workshop manuals for every vehicle I have ever owned and do all my own servicing. I am a crap welder but have a mate with an Engineering Business and get him to sort that stuff. In later years you tube videos have been posted and while some are crap there are some great how to do the job. My favorite tool - my inch pound torque wrench. When I do mechanical work I attempt to complete the job to the highest standard and take no sad sack shortcuts.

Bit of a rant I guess. However that sort of crap and poor workmanship, rip sh+t and bust behavior by so called " Professionals" pushes my buttons I guess. I make no apology. Fire for effect I guess.

I have the odd bloke turning up with a bike and a tale of woe. Do you think you can you remedy it please, or can you do this for me. I usually say no but you can help me get it sorted if ya want. OK? Now, lets grab some gear and get started.

Spyder Garage

Here is another reason not to do it https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=tube+oil+tank
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Good Grief.

I have the odd bloke turning up with a bike and a tale of woe. Do you think you can you remedy it please, or can you do this for me. I usually say no but you can help me get it sorted if ya want. OK? Now, lets grab some gear and get started.
    Do you know that there are people out there that actually don't know how to or even know to service their vehicles regularly? REALLY! Sadly, they exist in greater numbers than you may think. We do not circulate in their worlds and they do not visit ours. Some own spyders and how they reach this site is a wonder. We have many up here and I'm sure you have you're share down under. We help them when we can but that's about it I guess. We can't help them all.

Spyder Garage

Nothing like making a brand new member with his first post feel 'less than' there fellows. I say give him a break and just help out where you can. You notice BajaRon gave constructive feedback without being negative toward the poster.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Nothing like making a brand new member with his first post feel 'less than' there fellows. I say give him a break and just help out where you can. You notice BajaRon gave constructive feedback without being negative toward the poster.
    I was responding to Isopedella. I know dancer received the answer and help he needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Do you know that there are people out there that actually don't know how to or even know to service their vehicles regularly?
    REALLY! Sadly, they exist in greater numbers than you may think. We do not circulate in their worlds and they do not visit ours. Some own spyders and how they reach this site is a wonder. We have many up here and I'm sure you have you're share down under. We help them when we can but that's about it I guess. We can't help them all.
    Sad but very true bout some just ride it and then then it stops.

Thats exactly why I say no I wont do it for you ....but you can help me get it sorted if ya keen. Quite often we end up doing a full service.

I wasn't trying to Dish the op at all. But I believe I suggested, thats helped him out, pointed him in the right direction maybe in a roundabout way he ask a mate, get a manual, surf the net and watch some videos, pick up the necessary tools, and apply top level shop work and dont take shortcuts.

Guess my Merican Speekathe lingo Aint up to Scratch.

I have said before that I know a bit about bikes but these Spyders are on another level and I know very little. But basic stuff I am comfortable with.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some of the terms you guys have down there? Do you know if buy an Austrian/New Zealand slang term dictionary?

Spyder Garage

Ow common there 2dogs, fair suck of the sav. Yo better run - take cover.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9...&start_radio=1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Some of the terms you guys have down there? Do you know if buy an Austrian/New Zealand slang term dictionary?
    I really hope you meant an AUSTRALIAN/New Zealand slang term dictionary 2dogs - there's not too much slang in common between Austria & NZ!?!

But yes, you certainly can buy such a dictionary, not that they all keep up with the latest meanings attributed to some of the terms in common use, or that they always realise the nuances of the ANZAC tendency to 'take the piss', but still....

And there's heaps of stuff on-line.... but remember the 'take the piss' note above!

https://manofmany.com/lifestyle/advi...ang-dictionary

https://nomadsworld.com/aussie-slang/

https://www.anitahendrieka.com/56-ty...use-like-kiwi/

https://www.fluentu.com/blog/english/new-zealand-slang/

https://www.kaplaninternational.com/...u-need-to-know
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

This will tell you all you need to know about the Land Down Under!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9...=MenAtWorkVEVO'

And this is all you need to know about East Tennessee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf54...Brothers-Topic
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-26-2022 at 08:35 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I really hope you meant an AUSTRALIAN/New Zealand slang term dictionary 2dogs - there's not too much slang in common between Austria & NZ!?! ......

"O" God! thank you again spell check! I didn't check the dam spell check. It's happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Ow common there 2dogs, fair suck of the sav. Yo better run - take cover.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9...&start_radio=1
    I don't know how to respond to this. Don't know if you're going to kick my a$$ or buy me a beer?
    Last edited by 2dogs; 08-27-2022 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Fixed quote displays

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This will tell you all you need to know about the Land Down Under!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9...=MenAtWorkVEVO'

And this is all you need to know about East Tennessee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf54...Brothers-Topic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hate to think there are some dealer techs out there that do the 'oil suck' method, and for the prices they charge? Sadly, you take it in and have no idea what they've done and how they do it. I do change my oil like most on this forum, but there are some Spyder owners that just can't do it for one reason or another. I totally understand that, getting old is no fun for getting up under the Spyder especially with the knees giving out, or the back, you get my drift. For those that can't get it done, I cut them a lot of slack because I'm 89, I know what it's like.