Spyder Garage

Default Dead battery - anything to do while waiting for shop appointment?

Going to leave our friends house to come home today, battery completely dead. Tried our Halo bolt charger at a stop on the way there, got it to start up. Few hours later, wouldn’t even start the computer up, let alone attempt to start the engine.

Got the bike towed home. Looks like probably a few weeks before I can even attempt to get it into a shop.
    Is there anything I should do for the Spyder in the meantime? Like is there any issue with it sitting in my driveway for a few weeks?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-25-2022 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono00 View Post
    Going to leave our friends house to come home today, battery completely dead. Tried our Halo bolt charger at a stop on the way there, got it to start up. Few hours later, wouldn’t even start the computer up, let alone attempt to start the engine.

Got the bike towed home. Looks like probably a few weeks before I can even attempt to get it into a shop.
    Is there anything I should do for the Spyder in the meantime? Like is there any issue with it sitting in my driveway for a few weeks?
    If you have a "Battery Maintainer", take the leads off the battery in the Spyder and hook up the Maintainer for at least 4 days .... Do NOT try to start it during that time!!!!!!!! ..... Then re-attach the Spyder's battery leads with STAR washers on the terminals ..... and use your car or truck battery to jump the Spyder ..... DON'T have the jump engine running when you try start the Spyder ..... It does not sound like your battery has SHORTED OUT but it has gotten extremely low and you may be able to re-cover it ..... good luck ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-25-2022 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you have a "Battery Maintainer", take the leads off the battery in the Spyder and hook up the Maintainer for at least 4 days .... Do NOT try to start it during that time!!!!!!!! ..... Then re-attach the Spyder's battery leads with STAR washers on the terminals ..... and use your car or truck battery to jump the Spyder ..... DON'T have the jump engine running when you try start the Spyder ..... It does not sound like your battery has SHORTED OUT but it has gotten extremely low and you may be able to re-cover it ..... good luck ..... Mike
    Maintainer as in, a battery tender? unfortunately we do not have one of those.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-25-2022 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike -- should the Star washers be external tooth or internal tooth? Stainless steel or brass?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, Like BK said, however, I'd take the battery out of your spyder and put a "slow" low amp charge on it. You can buy a battery load tester at harbor freight for $20 that will tell you all you need to about your battery. Good luck. If it is the battery, just buying a new one and replacing it will be much less expensive than taking it to the shop. A $100+ per hour.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 08-25-2022 at 12:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yep, Like BK said, however, I'd take the battery out of your spyder and put a "slow" low amp charge on it. You can buy a battery load tester at harbor freight for $20 that will tell you all you need to about your battery. Good luck. If it is the battery, just buying a new one and replacing it will be much less expensive than taking it to the shop. A $100+ per hour.
    I’d like to get a general check/tune up anyway so getting it in i think is a good idea

And replacing the battery myself…while it appears doable…i don’t have a garage to work in, and as i’m not too experienced with the type of work, it would probably be an all day project for me.

My main concern/question starting this thread was, is there any concerns/problems to worry about if the bike sits dormant with a dead batter in the driveway for 2-4 weeks, and what i can do to mitigate those problems if there is any?

Spyder Garage

I’d like to get a general check/tune up anyway so getting it in i think is a good idea

And replacing the battery myself…while it appears doable…i don’t have a garage to work in, and as i’m not too experienced with the type of work, it would probably be an all day project for me.

My main concern/question starting this thread was, is there any concerns/problems to worry about if the bike sits dormant with a dead batter in the driveway for 2-4 weeks, and what i can do to mitigate those problems if there is any?
    Search hibernation threads for information there, most concerns are about battery maintenance, your battery already a problem so, other concerns: flat spots on tires sitting one place too long, can lift bike up off tires, or manually push it around some. Hibernation for 2-3 Months not week’s; helpful get oil change &let sit with fresh clean oil. Weeks not as much a worry.

Good luck with battery hopefully not some parasite accessories sucking it dry (don’t turn off with bike, secretly stay on)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Not really, altho it'd be better to cover it with a properly fitting cover to protect it a little from the elements & also do whatever you can to keep stray cats & other rodents off/away from it! But these things are made to be ridden in all sorts of weather in the great outdoors, so a couple of weeks standing around outside shouldn't really hurt it.... much!

Still, as others have said, there's a good chance that connecting the battery up to a quality Battery Maintainer (which is not really just a Tender!) would see you back on the road - if you've got an extension lead or a nearby power outlet you shouldn't even need to take the battery out of its little hidey hole (if you had added the details of your Spyder year/model to your sig line or put that essential info in your post we could even tell you where that is! ) just disconnect the battery leads & push them out of the way, then connect the Maintainer to the battery terminals (Red to +, Black to - ) & then let it get on with it's charge/discharge thing (that Tenders don't do! ) so it'd start charging & restoring whatever life it could to your battery - 4 days or so should see your battery back up to as good as it could be given the dead flat event & the subsequent shortening of potential battery life that brings! And if you can still get the top of a beer bottle you should be easily capable of undo-ing the battery terminals to do this, quite possibly even well able to remove & replace a battery too, even without a workshop!! I generally do battery swaps outside anyway, cos I've seen what can happen if an old style wet cell battery does the wrong thing in an enclosed space - not that our Spyders have those old style batteries still, they use AGM batteries that generally can't readily do that leak/short thing as standard equipment; but still, it's a good practice to get used to so you don't ever forget!

So instead of wasting a couple of weeks sitting in your hands, you could be ryding again in just a few days, certainly enough to get your Spyder to the nearest battery/auto shop to get the battery load tested so you can find out if it NEEDS replacement NOW, or if you can just maintain it properly for the next few years instead - and an a/mkt battery, even if it's identical to the OEM Battery, is likely to be somewhat cheaper than an OEM/Dealer installed battery.... IF the dealers techs can even work out how to do that! And you could still get your Spyder looked at later, at the appointed time, after most of a couple of weeks of enjoyable ryding &/or learning more about those things you really CAN do for yourself on your Spyder!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As always. good advice Peter, You Tube is always a friend in these situations. As you said about the beer top, I'd be out there at least just tinkering with the battery, get a 'maintainer' from Harbor Freight, or Walmart, hook it up and give it few days. Dealers can drive you nuts with all their BS. I know, a necessary evil.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Not really, altho it'd be better to cover it with a properly fitting cover to protect it a little from the elements & also do whatever you can to keep stray cats & other rodents off/away from it! But these things are made to be ridden in all sorts of weather in the great outdoors, so a couple of weeks standing around outside shouldn't really hurt it.... much!

Still, as others have said, there's a good chance that connecting the battery up to a quality Battery Maintainer (which is not really just a Tender!) would see you back on the road - if you've got an extension lead or a nearby power outlet you shouldn't even need to take the battery out of its little hidey hole (if you had added the details of your Spyder year/model to your sig line or put that essential info in your post we could even tell you where that is! ) just disconnect the battery leads & push them out of the way, then connect the Maintainer to the battery terminals (Red to +, Black to - ) & then let it get on with it's charge/discharge thing (that Tenders don't do! ) so it'd start charging & restoring whatever life it could to your battery - 4 days or so should see your battery back up to as good as it could be given the dead flat event & the subsequent shortening of potential battery life that brings! And if you can still get the top of a beer bottle you should be easily capable of undo-ing the battery terminals to do this, quite possibly even well able to remove & replace a battery too, even without a workshop!! I generally do battery swaps outside anyway, cos I've seen what can happen if an old style wet cell battery does the wrong thing in an enclosed space - not that our Spyders have those old style batteries still, they use AGM batteries that generally can't readily do that leak/short thing as standard equipment; but still, it's a good practice to get used to so you don't ever forget!

So instead of wasting a couple of weeks sitting in your hands, you could be ryding again in just a few days, certainly enough to get your Spyder to the nearest battery/auto shop to get the battery load tested so you can find out if it NEEDS replacement NOW, or if you can just maintain it properly for the next few years instead - and an a/mkt battery, even if it's identical to the OEM Battery, is likely to be somewhat cheaper than an OEM/Dealer installed battery.... IF the dealers techs can even work out how to do that! And you could still get your Spyder looked at later, at the appointed time, after most of a couple of weeks of enjoyable ryding &/or learning more about those things you really CAN do for yourself on your Spyder!
    2012 rts

Ok…so i could run an extension cord from the house pretty easily. Do you have a recommendation on a good maintainer i could buy? Let’s say i try this. I disconnect the battery, then connect it to the maintainer and let it sit for 3-4 days, then what? Try and start it as normal, or connect the halo and try to jump it?

I potentially could take the battery out myself sure, but I’m not a mechanic type, and the videos I’ve check out seem like you have to take apart pretty much he entire left side to get to the battery. And with no garage to do the work in either, it could be a bit much for me
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2022 at 02:10 AM. Reason: batter - battery %-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Mike -- should the Star washers be external tooth or internal tooth? Stainless steel or brass?
    Either will work, but I prefer internal if the bolt / screw heads aren't very large .... Brass or Stainless doesn't matter ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2022 at 02:10 AM. Reason: arn't - aren't %-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2012 rts

Ok…so i could run an extension cord from the house pretty easily. Do you have a recommendation on a good maintainer i could buy? Let’s say i try this. I disconnect the battery, then connect it to the maintainer and let it sit for 3-4 days, then what? Try and start it as normal, or connect the halo and try to jump it?

I potentially could take the batter out myself sure, but I’m not a mechanic type, and the videos I’ve check out seem like you have to take apart pretty much he entire left side to get to the battery. And with no garage to do the work in either, it could be a bit much for me
    Battery Tender and NOCO are good brands. Some can be used outdoors. The higher amperage ones will charge faster. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=battery+t...s_ts-doa-p_5_7
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, not a problem with that. Some rides sit in dealer's lots for 2-4 months with dead batteries. Even longer. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

No, not a problem with that. Some rides sit in dealer's lots for 2-4 months with dead batteries. Even longer. Good luck.
    I tried getting it dropped off at one of the places near here. But of the few places around that work on spyders, i think i called 4 that did, all were at least a few weeks out too look at, and none had any room to even have it dropped off by the tow

Spyder Garage

HI Chrono00,

Here is a name for the Battery Tender you use on the battery, Deltran Battery Tender Junior 12 Volt 750 mA Switches Automatically from Charge to Float! Reverse polarity protection ensures safety, Spark Proof, 12 foot output cord, Weight:1 lb. Size, 3 5/16 X 2 5/16 X 1 7/8 Plastic enclosure, Input: 115VAC @ 60Hz, Output: 12Vdc @ 750mA Batteries are constantly maintained and ready to go!

I have been using the above for 10 years. I live where I have to put the spyder into hibernation for 7 months( due the winters). The battery tender works well for me.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the battery is bad the maintainer will not work. Two screws cover off. Two screws battery wires off. Pull off holding strap battery removed easy from bike to have some test it for you. Or have someone handy help you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Battery Tender and NOCO are good brands. Some can be used outdoors. The higher amperage ones will charge faster. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=battery+t...s_ts-doa-p_5_7
    " Higher amperage ones will charge faster " ???? from what I know about battery Maintainers - they are designed to have a SAFE maximum charge and use it according the what it's computer says the battery needs. Then it will reduce charging down to what the battery needs long term ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " Higher amperage ones will charge faster " ???? from what I know about battery Maintainers - they are designed to have a SAFE maximum charge and use it according the what it's computer says the battery needs. Then it will reduce charging down to what the battery needs long term ..... Mike
    That's true. Supports what I said.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried getting it dropped off at one of the places near here. But of the few places around that work on spyders, i think i called 4 that did, all were at least a few weeks out too look at, and none had any room to even have it dropped off by the tow
    Yes, that's a common problem in a lot of places. If I were closer to you, I have a spyder trailer and I'd gladly come and haul you to the dealer when he was ready. I can remember when I was in your position. LOL

Spyder Garage

Yes, that's a common problem in a lot of places. If I were closer to you, I have a spyder trailer and I'd gladly come and haul you to the dealer when he was ready. I can remember when I was in your position. LOL
    I appreciate that sentiment, thats actually pretty nice. I think I know 1-2 people with a trailer big enough to haul the Spyder if need be.

But we actually lucked out, a mechanic friend of ours is gonna come by and help me change out the battery this weekend (depending on rain possibly).

And we ordered a tender as well

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S...p3_fStUCUf86Is

So hopefully all goes well and we will be in the wind again soon

Spyder Garage

TimeZero, That's the one you need! The Deltran Battery Tender Junior that come as kit's with terminal leads that can be attached to the battery terminals, and following the other advice above, plugging it in and leaving it on certainly can't hurt while you're waiting. And that Battery Tender is a handy accessory for all winterized Spyders, I fed my battery terminal SAE adapter (that came with the kit) out in the front right wheel well (it's got a waterproof plug cover when not in use) and it hooks up real easy in my garage or storage trailer.
    2018 Spyder Battery Tender connection01.jpg
    Last edited by DGoebel; 08-25-2022 at 08:49 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talking

WRT Star washers -- thanks Mike I knew you would have an answer.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike