Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Drivebelt/gear/whining noise - Any possible cures for this?

I have a 2021 Spyder F3L and right at 2500 or about 50 mph I have a whine in it, It will go away if going faster but from 2500 down to about 2100 when you let off the gas it's worse. Any possible cures for this. I can turn the radio up loud but that's not really the answer I want. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2022 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question - I think?? Fixed the whine! %-)

Spyder Garage

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'Travsaxle wind', but from the text of your post I guess it's a noise you're bothered by...

Does your F3 have a White Front Pulley?? Many F3's of about the same age of yours had a 'wind noise' at that sorta revs caused by the (black) front pulley, so there was a BRP Recall(?)/Fix put out for them. The fix was simply to replace the front pulley with one that had been ceramic coated to reduce the noise produced as it spun, & that coating happened to be white....

So, if you don't already have a white front pulley on your F3, you should talk to your dealer about getting them to fit one under warranty. You could do a search on 'front pulley noise' or something similar to try & track down the details, but they may have been swamped by all the more recent discussion on the front pulley recall for many 1330 engined Spyders.... still, it's there if you can spend the time & find it! In the meantime, hopefully someone who has the correct Recall or Tech Service Bulletin details will chime in so you can make sure the dealer gets the correct info.

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like some good advice, It looks like a black pulley to me but saturday maybe I can go by the dealer and get their advice. It's still under warranty, a year old and 1100 miles. I just got it a couple weeks ago but really like it. If I turn bluetooth up I can drown the noise but without music it's pretty noticeable. I'm used to front wheel drives and just called it transaxle my mistake.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-25-2022 at 09:44 PM. Reason: there - their & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tekslk View Post
    Sounds like some good advice, It looks like a black pulley to me but saturday maybe I can go by the dealer and get their advice. It's still under warranty, a year old and 1100 miles. I just got it a couple weeks ago but really like it. If I turn bluetooth up I can drown the noise but without music it's pretty noticeable. I'm used to front wheel drives and just called it transaxle my mistake.
    Not a biggie, fixed it for you tho. So now you might get some other responses too.

That said, if you type 'Front pulley noise' into the search bar up the top right & submit the search, I reckon you'll get a whole lot of reading on it! Or you could try 'Whining noise' or 'Whistling sound'...

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2022 at 06:11 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A few years ago, wasn't there some type of "grease the belt trick" recommended by BRP to quiet up noisy belts??? larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-25-2022 at 11:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

My noise sounds like gear whine not belt noise.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2022 at 06:10 AM. Reason: h ;-)

Spyder Garage

That's what the front pulley whining noise sounds like....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2022 at 12:44 AM. Reason: whining, not wind! Bloody autocorrect! :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I went to the dealer today he drove it and said between 47-52 there is a whine and thats the way they are. If I add a belt tensioner, mine doesnt have one will that help the problem?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2022 at 12:52 AM. Reason: whine not wind. %-)

Spyder Garage

I took the spyder to the dealer today and he said there all that way. Imagine that. Would a belt tensioner be of any help for this noise or only the pulley?

Spyder Garage

Given those speeds & the sound you describe, it sounds very much like what others have described as the front pulley gear noise/belt whine/wind noise! So do that search on 'Front Pulley Noise', 'Whining noise' &/or 'Whistling sound'... I'm pretty sure there's info here on the Forum that you can take to your dealer to show him that they AREN'T 'all like that' and details of the 'As advised/approved by BRP' fix, which is replacing the front pulley with the ceramic coated white pulley.

I really doubt that fitting a belt tensioner will make any helpful difference to that noise, altho it might make it worse?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2022 at 09:06 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand why you are calling the sound you hear as a 'wind noise'. I agree with the dealer that all Spyders have 'wind noise'.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Its my computer I mean W I N E

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Actually, you mean W H I N E ....

But I never pass up a nice wine.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Its my computer I mean W I N E
    It's that damn auto-correct!! It's assuming that you can't be right, but it can!! . If it'd let you post what you typed/wanted in the first place, there would've been no confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Actually, you mean W H I N E ....

All Sorted now tho!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Have had my new 2022 F3L Spl. for several weeks and have the same whine noise in the speed range. Have the "white" front sprocket. Apparently not the fix.

Spyder Garage

Does your 22 have a belt tensioneer?

Spyder Garage

No. It did not have one. Bike was in crate when I bought it and they assembled it the day before I got it. It appears to be more noticeable on certain days as compared to others. I travel same roads each day and speed is about the same each day and run in same gears. At the 47-52 mph, I am in 5th.

Spyder Garage

Baxter I guess maybe I should try the tensioneer first since your white pulley didnt fix it.

Spyder Garage

On the subject of noise...
    When I ride with the full face helmet it's a pretty quiet ride, just a muffled stock exhaust rumble, no problem there. Once in a while I ride with a half helmet and a lot of mechanical noise is present: valve train, gears, etc...
    This is my first Spyder and it's noisier than any of the 2 wheelers I rode in the past. Is it just me or is this normal?
    FYI, it has about 5300 miles, fresh oil and the belt and sprocket were declared just fine by the dealer when I brought it over for the recall.

Spyder Garage

On my 2017 F3-S, I added a belt tensioner and it really didn't affect the noise but the belt stopped vibrating at certain speeds.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

I installed belt tensioneer today and it didnt change anything, Maybe it takes that and the sprocket?

Spyder Garage

what i understand that the belt "tensioner" is for is the harmonic vibration that some exhibit at certain highway speeds and nothing to do with the "whine noise" it sounds so much like a gear whine from years gone by on older vehicles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Found the problem: new owner; 1100 miles; 6-speed constant-mesh transmission with straight-cut gears; dry sump overhead cam engine; F3 without RTS sound-absorbing bodywork.

Two suggestions: (1) change to Motul 7100 15W-50 oil (2) find a helmet that better protects your eardrums.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue as the OP here....Very Loud whine between 45-52mph on my 2020RT (1330 engine, SE6). Service Manager rode it and said "That really IS a loud whine!"
    They replace the front sprocket, the fastening bolt, and the drive belt. After about 100 miles, the loud whine came back. Next, they installed "sound-proofing" somewhere around the engine area (I've not yet seen it)...no help. My RT now has 12,000+ miles on it and the whine is now tolerable, but still obvious (I'm sensitized to hear it).
    I'm going riding......
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case