Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I know, it's been nearly beat to death, Tires

I have a 2015 RTS, about 15,000 miles. May be in need of new rear tire, fronts look good to me. I can get some of the Kenda P3 OEM put on for a decent price. Or for about $150 more get, I believe, Hena on the rear and Hankook on the front. Wondering if I should go the cheaper route for now. Tires have performed well for me. Or just get the rear done at a lower price and wait until some of the Kenda Kanines show up. Going to make a 4000 mile trip end of Sep.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Typically the rear OEM Kenda tire doesn't go more than 10k.

The fronts are usually good to 20k.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Typically the rear OEM Kenda tire doesn't go more than 10k.

The fronts are usually good to 20k.
    ... about the rear Kenda , .... but if the Spyders has good alignment ( ie. Lazer ) then 30,000 for front would be average ..... Mike .....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-24-2022 at 09:08 PM. Reason: threar - the rear ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugerbear View Post
    I have a 2015 RTS, about 15,000 miles. May be in need of new rear tire, fronts look good to me. I can get some of the Kenda P3 OEM put on for a decent price. Or for about $150 more get, I believe, Hena on the rear and Hankook on the front. Wondering if I should go the cheaper route for now. Tires have performed well for me. Or just get the rear done at a lower price and wait until some of the Kenda Kanines show up. Going to make a 4000 mile trip end of Sep.
    If you can get someone ( or yourself ) to mount a rear tire ..... A better choice for less money would be a RIKEN in 215/60 -15 it has an Excellent rating and I recently bought one at TireRack ( ships free $100.00 ) and have tested it in the Rain and I Loooooooooooooooooooooove it ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-24-2022 at 08:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you can get someone ( or yourself ) to mount a rear tire ..... A better choice for less money would be a RIKEN in 215/60 -15 it has an Excellent rating and I recently bought one at TireRack ( ships free $100.00 ) and have tested it in the Rain and I Loooooooooooooooooooooove it ..... good luck .... Mike
    I sure hope you are right on the Riken tire. Just ordered one after 6 Kumho's. Hoping for better wet road handling.
    2020 Spyder RTL - Blue
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    I sure hope you are right on the Riken tire. Just ordered one after 6 Kumho's. Hoping for better wet road handling.
    Well " hope " ??? .... the last 7 tires I recommended for Spyders have been ....EXCELLENT .... so I don't think you need to worry ...... PS don't bother balancing a REAR tire .... I did it once in 09 and haven't done the last 5 rear tires since ..... all rode / ride fine ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Well, I think for now I will do the stock Kenda. Maybe when I need it replaced again in a few years the Kanine will be more readily available.

Spyder Garage

I changed the OEM rear tire at 5,824 miles. I am currently running General Altimax RT43 on the rear.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I guess I must have been living right to get as many miles as I have.

Spyder Garage

I guess I must have been living right to get as many miles as I have.
    It's like the lotto. Most people lose. But there are always a few winners. Be happy. Just don't expect to win very often.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Vredestein on all three. Love them. Over 12,000 on two Spyders and they still look new. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Several years ago many of us were using the Michelin Hydro Edge (215x60R15) as our favorite rear tire of choice...Then Michelin NO longer made that tire...These tires wore like iron due to the 800 tread wear...I just got this e-mail today...Did Michelin reintroduce this tire back in the market or is this a old stock tire????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23464570383...3839&recoPos=1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Several years ago many of us were using the Michelin Hydro Edge (215x60R15) as our favorite rear tire of choice...Then Michelin NO longer made that tire...These tires wore like iron due to the 800 tread wear...I just got this e-mail today...Did Michelin reintroduce this tire back in the market or is this a old stock tire????

800 tread wear ? The tire compound must have been similar to a Radio Flyer wagon tire

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I'd say it is old stock. As far as I know. This tire has not been made for some time.

Spyder Garage

The re-placement tire for the Hydro-Edge ( I had one and CRIED when they stopped production ) was the Defender T & H ( and this has turned out to be a Great tire also ) ... IMHO that tire link is to a VERY old tire, the hydro-edge went out of production about 5-6 years ago...... Look at the Defender ( $156.00 ) or the Tire I recently bought a RIKEN Raptor HR 215/60-15 @ $99.00 .... I love this tire ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I had one and it did give great mileage ...... It surprised me to find it had an 800 wear rating ..... it still had great ratings in the four categories that we look for ....W _ D _ W _ comfort ...... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm very happy with my Altimax rear tire. I'm running a 215/60/15 and in addition to being better in all respects than the Kenda tires, using that size removed almost all my speedometer error.
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Spyder Garage

Put the Rikken on just before going to Spyders in the Ozarks. Put 650 miles 2 up on the F3-t through the twisties of Mark Twain National Forest. 20psi and that tire sticks!
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNF3 View Post
    Put the Rikken on just before going to Spyders in the Ozarks. Put 650 miles 2 up on the F3-t through the twisties of Mark Twain National Forest. 20psi and that tire sticks!
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they will stick a TAD better if you drop 2 lbs....... Thanks for your report ..... this helps others make a decision on buying a relatively new Brand of tire. ..... So far all that are trying it now have also liked it ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I’m 230 and wife is 140, that is why I started at 20. With this weight is 18psi still appropriate?

Spyder Garage

MNF3, the tire rating of 1477# @ 44psi = 33.57#/psi. My load with a 150# single rider is 750# front, 500# rear. Your load is 220# higher (not including gear) than mine. That puts ~110# more on the front and ~110# more on the rear. With a rear load of 610# the starting pressure for the rear can be as low as 18psi. (610/33.57), so 18psi should be an ok starting point. I like that you are thinking about the load. If you find an open scale when your out riding all loaded up, pull in and get your actual axle weights. Pay attention to 'squishy' side-to-side feelings in the corners -- if it's not 'solid' feeling you may need more pressure. Check the pressure right after a ride -- it shouldn't go up more than 4psi.
    Last edited by ButterSmooth; 09-26-2022 at 11:46 AM.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    MNF3, the tire rating of 1477# @ 44psi = 33.57#/psi. My load with a 150# single rider is 750# front, 500# rear. Your load is 220# higher (not including gear) than mine. That puts ~110# more on the front and ~110# more on the rear. With a rear load of 610# the starting pressure for the rear can be as low as 18psi. (610/33.57), so 18psi should be an ok starting point. I like that you are thinking about the load. If you find an open scale when your out riding all loaded up, pull in and get your actual axle weights. Pay attention to 'squishy' side -to-side feelings in the corners -- if it's not 'solid' feeling you may need more pressure. Check the pressure right after a ride -- it shouldn't go up more than 4psi.
    ...... except for the side to side feeling " Squishy " ..... Tires today are almost entirely Radials, and they often feel Squishy at this LOW a PSI. .... When on a Twistee road " G " forces come into play. As the wheel / rim moves sideways you want the TREAD to remain as flat as possible. And this will happen ( on Spyders ) with the recommended PSI's.... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks! I’ll give 18 a try.

Spyder Garage

Hey Mike,

Looking to replace my Kumho Ecsta rear very soon. I know the fronts on earlier Spyders were a different size so I want to make sure about the rear. Will the Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 fit on my 2012 RT?
    Apologies if you already answered this, but I didn't see it in any of the Riken posts. TIA!

P.S. Love, love, love the Vredestein Quatrac 5's on the front!
    Tony

2012 RT-S SE5 - Viper Red
    Castle Atom SV Tarmac Modular Helmets
    Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover
    Hopnel Luggage: Frunk, Top Case, and Saddlebags
    Big Bike Parts Short Spiral Antenna
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire - Got almost 18,000 miles before replacement with Riken Raptor
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 165/65R-14 Front Tires
    BajaRon Spark Plugs and Wires
    EBC Rear Pads and Rotor from BajaRon
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 Rear Tire

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TRBorslien View Post
    Hey Mike,

Looking to replace my Kumho Ecsta rear very soon. I know the fronts on earlier Spyders were a different size so I want to make sure about the rear. Will the Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 fit on my 2012 RT?
    Apologies if you already answered this, but I didn't see it in any of the Riken posts. TIA!

P.S. Love, love, love the Vredestein Quatrac 5's on the front!
    Yes, the 215/60/15 tire size will fit any Can-Am Spyder rear. It is taller and narrower than stock. The taller is actually good because it brings your speedometer closer to reality.